ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old November 29th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Name: poo poo

Motorcycle(s): '03 and '08

Clutch question for the pros..

I've had a 2003, and a 2008 ninjette. I *had* to try the new 300! So, I picked my new one up yesterday. Here's the deal..... the new clutch is brilliant. You only need to *barely* squeeze it to change gears.

Cool.

But, should I only squeeze it the .25 inches to switch gears? Or.. can I pull the clutch lever all the way in?

I'm more comfortable pulling it in completely, but perhaps I should only just squeeze it a bit before changing gears.

If I pull the clutch lever in all the way to the handle, will that stress/weaken the clutch cable?

Probably a stupid question, but I'm really concerned...

Any advice is very much appreciated....

Old November 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #2
DeltaFoxtrotZulu
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Pulling it all the way in is the intended operation. No concerns there. Just because the friction zone is in the last part of the movement doesn't meant you shouldn't pull it further. Not sure how much an issue only pulling it a little bit to shift would be, but I imagine minimal.

You might want to look into adjustable clutch/brave levers. I've got them and I love them. They make the lever travel so much shorter and bring the levers closer to your grips. Makes shifting much easier.
DeltaFoxtrotZulu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by poo poo View Post
.......But, should I only squeeze it the .25 inches to switch gears? Or.. can I pull the clutch lever all the way in?

I'm more comfortable pulling it in completely, but perhaps I should only just squeeze it a bit before changing gears.

If I pull the clutch lever in all the way to the handle, will that stress/weaken the clutch cable?
I believe that the degree of pulling is a matter of personal preference: some people like clutch-less change of gears.

The principle remains the same: to disengage the engine from the transmission, partially (for any point within the friction zone) or fully (for any point beyond that).

The main difference of the 300's clutch is being a one-way after certain deceleration load (in order to avoid rear tire's lock-ups and engine's over-rev).

If changing gears feels better, is due to the transmission rather than to the clutch.

You cannot stress/weaken the clutch cable by pulling it even with both hands.

What damages the clutch cable is lack of regular lubrication of the pivots formed by the cable's terminals- levers, which introduces bending loads on the cable.

Last futzed with by Motofool; November 29th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
pull it in to your hearts content
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #5
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Eh, if nothing "clunks" too loudly when you change gears, you are disengaging the clutch enough.

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #6
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

You can change gears smoothly and without damage and NOT use the clutch. Shoot for smoothness, I give mine a light flick if I use it at all. No reason to go to the bar at all, it doesn't get more disengaged than 100% and it is there right at the end of the travel.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sounds like you need to update your bike profile here!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Name: poo poo

Motorcycle(s): '03 and '08

you guys rock!

thank you! i really appreciate the feedback from those that know more than me.

oh, and yeah, i better update my profile.

thanks again!

Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Dmj_88
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): Many

pull it in all the way, or don't at all it doesn't matter. I do like how the new 300s have a lock up though, I was reading about that in MCN or some mag. pretty neat stuff!
Dmj_88 is offline   Reply With Quote