ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 13th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #1
Exaduz
ninjette.org member

Name: Aidan

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki ninja 250r

aftermath of dynojet?

hey there i have a kawasaki ninja 250r currently running 87 octane, mgp growler exhaust, ka-2508 (air filter) and the dyne jet stage 2 kit, experiencing heavy carbon build up since dyne jet installation (running 87 octane) and bogging from 1rpm-3.5 (some what louder engine and significant fuel loss)

noticing no need to to warm up the bike anymore if any very little.

extreme power increase.

Consistent engine noise/ idling

conclusion 1) is there is not a good balance of oxygen and gas and I'm getting to much gas and not enough of oxygen.

conclusion 2) not the proper gas to be running

conclusion 3) not a good enough slip on.

what are your thoughts?
Exaduz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 02:27 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome, Aidan !!!

Only #1 is your answer.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #3
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

^^this. What size pilot jets do you have in? Have you adjusted your idle mixture screws at all since the dyno jet kit installation?
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 04:33 AM   #4
Exaduz
ninjette.org member

thanks

yeah figured I'm going to take it back to the dealer to have it troubleshooted. I appreciate the welcome I really like my 250 and the motorcycle community I look forward to talking with everyone and becoming more informed on our bikes.

Old August 14th, 2016, 04:40 AM   #5
Exaduz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
^^this. What size pilot jets do you have in? Have you adjusted your idle mixture screws at all since the dyno jet kit installation?

i honestly have no idea what type of jets were swapped out and how much they were adjusted, I had my local kawasaki mechanic do a valve adjustment and jet upgrade at the same time. ill need to ask him more information on what exactly psi and setting he has it at to really know more. I plan on bringing it in for him to troubleshoot monday. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to have my carb on my lap in pieces so i had it done for me in all honesty. i haven't adjusted anything since the installation

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/dynojet-jet-kit.html

is a link of the kit used to swap out my stock jets.^

Last futzed with by Exaduz; August 14th, 2016 at 04:43 AM. Reason: i made a mistake

Old August 14th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

That's alright, some people aren't mechanically inclined and there is nothing wrong with that. Keep reading and researching on this site and you will have plenty of knowledge to at least know if you are getting taken to the cleaners or not by a shop/dealer

Be sure to let us know what the dealer says about your bike.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #7
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome.
Keep us posted on the result.

Old August 14th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #8
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Welcome Aidian. Lots of great info and people on this forum. You will learn a ton if you so choose!

If you want to have someone else do the work at least for now: the most reliable shop with the best reputation is by far and away; Burnaby Kawasaki. No; I don't work for them, I'm only a customer and it's not just my opinion.

The best solution to get everything as good as can be out of your fuel system & tuning is to take it to a Dynomometer. One of the best if not the best is Michael at MAS in Langley. He is the main dyno tuner for our local racers. Give him a call to find out how he might help you. Here's the web link: http://masdynoservices.com/

Another local tuner with a dyno is Murray. I'm having a brain fart and can't remember his contact info but when I find it I'll pass it on.

If it were me I would start with Burnaby Kawasaki if for no other reason than to start a relationship with them. If you're already a customer there I say with 100% confidence; you are with the best dealer.

Good luck with the tune!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #9
Exaduz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Welcome Aidian. Lots of great info and people on this forum. You will learn a ton if you so choose!

If you want to have someone else do the work at least for now: the most reliable shop with the best reputation is by far and away; Burnaby Kawasaki. No; I don't work for them, I'm only a customer and it's not just my opinion.

The best solution to get everything as good as can be out
of your fuel system & tuning is to take it to a Dynomometer. One of the best if not the best is Michael at MAS in Langley. He is the main dyno tuner for our local racers. Give him a call to find out how he might help you. Here's the web link: http://masdynoservices.com/

Another local tuner with a dyno is Murray. I'm having a brain fart and can't remember his contact info but when I find it I'll pass it on.

If it were me I would start with Burnaby Kawasaki if for no other reason than to start a relationship with them. If you're already a customer there I say with 100% confidence; you are with the best dealer.

Good luck with the tune!
hey man! thank you all for the warm welcomes. i currently do business with maple ridge kawasaki buthe have heard awesome things about Burnaby kawasaki, I'll see about my mechanic looking over it again just because maple ridge kawasaki is literally a block away from where I live. in the future id love to see the difference with Burnaby's branch. and I'll for sure check out that tuner you recommended! that's a great idea. I'll let you guys know as soon as I have her checked.out again

Old August 14th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #10
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Welcome
I don't know the altitude of your area. But looking at the kit in the link I see two needles and four main jets and two springs. I assume the drill bits and screw are for getting the block of covers off the idle screws.

My guess is you are now putting in a lot more fuel. Since the kit shows no pilot jets I guess the needles are thin. At least at the tip. The thin needles and big jets adds up to a very rich condition. Good for power but not economy.

The lack of warm up tells me it is rich from idle to full throttle.

First I would also go hotter on the plug CR9E
I always use Keihn jets . It just makes it easy to discuss with the forum.

If they are playing with slide springs and have a drill bit. Don't let them drill out the stock hole in the slide. Use a tiny drill and drill another hole. Once you drill the stock hole you can't go back to its original size. Over all I would not drill the slide at all.

I also don't know if you are just using a slip on or a full exhaust . With the full exhaust you will need to block the clean air system or the dyno readings will be very confusing.

Look around 110 mains and 38+~- on pilots. 2 turns out and try to get them to balance the carbs.

With a slip on shoot a little leaner like 108 mains and move the needles around to get the low end clean.
Good luck

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #11
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
He's at sea level, Eric. On the wet coast of Canada about 100 miles North of Seattle.

I've never heard bad about Maple Ridge Motorsports. I used to know the GM & mechanic but it's been awhile and neither is there anymore. You live so close to them you should try to establish a good relation with them. But the best dealership is (according to virtually everyone!) Burnaby Kawi! However; they don't do dyno tuning which is the best if you really want to nail your tuning.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old August 14th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #12
Exaduz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
He's at sea level, Eric. On the wet coast of Canada about 100 miles North of Seattle.

I've never heard bad about Maple Ridge Motorsports. I used to know the GM & mechanic but it's been awhile and neither is there anymore. You live so close to them you should try to establish a good relation with them. But the best dealership is (according to virtually everyone!) Burnaby Kawi! However; they don't do dyno tuning which is the best if you really want to nail your tuning.
hmm very good information thank you. my bike also drops past 1 rpm after revving it only a little and not alot if that makes sense and sometimes this actually causes the bike to now stall.

Old August 14th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #13
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaduz View Post
hmm very good information thank you. my bike also drops past 1 rpm after revving it only a little and not alot if that makes sense and sometimes this actually causes the bike to now stall.
The thing about carburators (and I'm no expert!!): there's several fuel circuits; idle, low speed (RPM of course, not how fast you're going!), mid speed & high speed. It sounds like you are having problems with at least one if not all those circuits. A quick thought though: you say you don't need to choke but it may stall from idle: that sounds like you need choke! Particularly if your carb has a factory low speed (idle) setting. I live in the lower mainland, have my carbs tuned beautifully yet still need a little choke at first startup until the engine warms up!

I don't have time now to find them for you but search through this forum (learning to search this site is the most valuable lesson you can learn!) and find those threads that discuss carbs and how they work. It's time well wasted even if you have someone else do the work!