ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 11th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

DanMoto JISU Discoloration Fix

After seeing im not the only person to have discoloration on my DanMoto JISU muffler, i figured i would try and fix it so it looks better. I realize that for $135, this muffler isnt the best but for the price, i couldnt say no. anyway...

I grabbed a can of Rust-Oleum High Heat Spraypaint for grills in flat black (~$5 at lowes) I have yet to paint anything becuase i wanted to ask and see if anyone has done this to their mufflers. Im doing this regardless, as a test, but i figured id hear some input before doing it. I need to throw on the stock can and since im putting on 4+ coats, its going to take a couple days. Pictures will be posted soon.
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Please keep us posted with pics. I would definitely like to see the outcome and how well it holds up.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I painted the headers on my bike with some very high temp paint I got at O'Reilly, and its been holding up pretty well. I'd imagine it'd perform at least as well on the way lower temps for the muffler. Just remember, painting is 90% prep.

Old July 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Update

Put the old can today so i could start painting the DanMoto slip on. in the one picture, you can see how the rubber that goes around the mounting piece melted and left a stain. I sanded the muffler a little with some fine sand paper, washed it with soap and water, and then taped it off. The picture of the muffler painted is only after one coat. from what it looks like, it is going to resemble the color/texture of the stock can. ill update later with more pictures

And of course, i had to have a beer to finish it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (124.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (45.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (90.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo(4).jpg (53.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg photo(5).jpg (71.3 KB, 5 views)

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Exclamation donezo!

Well, after putting on 7 coats of paint, im finally all done. The pictures are self explanatory. There are two pictures of my f**k-ups/lazy paint tape job. This is where i ask for your help...Does anyone know of anything to remove the paint without messing up the metal? Its a pretty thin layer of paint, but as you can see in the pics, its noticeable. any suggestions would be mucho appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (219.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (214.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).JPG (206.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3).JPG (190.5 KB, 13 views)

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #6
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eduardo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmSAE View Post
Well, after putting on 7 coats of paint, im finally all done. The pictures are self explanatory. There are two pictures of my f**k-ups/lazy paint tape job. This is where i ask for your help...Does anyone know of anything to remove the paint without messing up the metal? Its a pretty thin layer of paint, but as you can see in the pics, its noticeable. any suggestions would be mucho appreciated

Let us know how it holds up?
And what's the longest you've ridden with the exhaust?
NinjaBoyEddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #7
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Buy a can DuPont paint remover, scrub the overspray off with a scotchbrite pad

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #8
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
Buy a can DuPont paint remover, scrub the overspray off with a scotchbrite pad
didnt even have to get the paint remover, came off pretty easily with just the scotchbrite pad, thanks for the rec.

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

another update

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
Please keep us posted with pics. I would definitely like to see the outcome and how well it holds up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBoyEddy View Post
Let us know how it holds up?
And what's the longest you've ridden with the exhaust?

Well, its been a couple weeks and a good handful of miles since i finished up the slip-on. all in all, its holding up fine. still looks i like i just painted it with the exception of the scratches. I got the scratches because when i re-applied the brace, i didnt re-use the crappy rubber liner since it melted last time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(4).JPG (246.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo(5).JPG (223.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg photo(6).JPG (195.8 KB, 10 views)

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #10
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

its been forever since updating this, but i figured with riding season approaching, id let everyone know that the paint on the exhaust is still awesome. even after being out for 4 days of rain, it still looks great! best 6 bucks ive spent on the bike

Old May 16th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #11
crackez
ninjette.org member

Name: Kostas

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R (2009 European Model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmSAE View Post
its been forever since updating this, but i figured with riding season approaching, id let everyone know that the paint on the exhaust is still awesome. even after being out for 4 days of rain, it still looks great! best 6 bucks ive spent on the bike
So the only hard thing is to find some awesome spray can

I've order a few hours ago the Jisu black for my ninja, its been about 2yrs since I ride my bike (I was using my car mainly, so the battery is dead by my mistake, I'm waiting the new one from italy[bosch]). So if a discolouration occur I better find some good spray.

P.S. I'm very curious if the colour would last more than a few months
crackez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #12
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

I used the same paint as Connor and no problems now. You might as well just put a coat or two on before you install it.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #13
crackez
ninjette.org member

Name: Kostas

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R (2009 European Model)

I'm from Greece so the cans would be different, I won't paint it before the install. On September I'll have to put the stock back as I need to pass some tests (Gov changed the laws recently and everyone that has more than 50cc needs to be checked once per year ..in the past it was only if you had more than 600cc bike or car)

Anyways if I get the exhaust it would be plenty of time until September so if a discolouration occurs I'll deal it after passing the tests ;}
crackez is offline   Reply With Quote