ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #1
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ex250

A little help with my carbs?

During a competition I started having a problem with the bike dying coming out of the corners going into the straights.. I mean it sounded like the bike was only running on one lung.. and the other was not working well too. Around 4-5-6K rpm the bike just shut down.. I would keep the throttle pinned and as I came up on speed a little finally the bike acted like someone flipped a switch.. and at around 7-8 K it would come back strong as hell and rev right up to the limit.. 13-14 and sound very good..
Go into a corner and at low rpm's it was like all was good.. hit a straight, roll on the gas and ...dead again.. get up in speed and it would take off! Very frustrating..
Any ideas?
Thanks

Soonerbillz - Soonerbillz Racing News - Soonerbillz Trading Post
soonerbillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Check for loose battery connections, igniters, grounds. Perhaps vacuum leaks.

Old August 26th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #3
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ex250

Yeah I went through all those common things except the coils... I get a big fat blue spark when I turn the bike over but have no way of knowing what they are doing at speed. I have the carbs at 112 mains.. 40 needle jet and right now have 2 washers on the needle. Best idle mix settings seem to be around 3 out.
It is running a little rich but really not bad from the plugs.. I am going to pull the carbs and see what is going on inside! The tank had rust originally... maybe something got through the filter....

Soonerbillz - Soonerbillz Racing News - Soonerbillz Trading Post
soonerbillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #4
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbillz View Post
Yeah I went through all those common things except the coils... I get a big fat blue spark when I turn the bike over but have no way of knowing what they are doing at speed. I have the carbs at 112 mains.. 40 needle jet and right now have 2 washers on the needle. Best idle mix settings seem to be around 3 out.
It is running a little rich but really not bad from the plugs.. I am going to pull the carbs and see what is going on inside! The tank had rust originally... maybe something got through the filter....

Maybe run it without the filter?
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote