ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old March 28th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Ooma vs. Vonage vs. ?

With Tmobile's new rate plans, the $10/month they were charging us for an extra home phone line is no longer available. The savings elsewhere still make sense for us to go to the new plan ($100/2 lines instead of $140/2 lines), but now it will be $40/month for an extra line, which is no longer competitive.

Ooma charges $129 for the box, then basic service is free forever. $10/month service provides upgraded features, but it looks like we might be able to live without them. Vonage is offering $10/month for the first 12 months, with no startup costs, but I believe their normal pricing would then revert back to $20 - $25/month after the first year.

Other options apparently include:

Basic Talk $10/month, limited startup fees, transfer your number for free (apparently this is another Vonage offering, without the Vonage name)
lingo $15/month
magicjack Pricing varies, but looks very cheap
phone.com looks like $20/mo for unlimited

Anyone else use a service I'm missing? Raves or horror stories about any of these?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Vonage was great service, but I ended up not keeping it.
Here our cable providers offer phone anyway at same prices..and since both depend on the cable being up in 1st place. Made no sense for another piece of hardware (vonage) and caller id works on TV w/ cable provider (so I can be lazier and not even pick up phone) :P

Comcast/U-verse- about as expected typical VOIP phone quality. (25-35 /mo Comcast being higher), but ATT hits you w bs sub charges after main fee

MagicJack had terrible quality...my buddy got one against my advice and used it for a week and never again.

I like that OOMA sound, will have to look into it, but I highly believe you get what you pay for.... and that magicjack exp I had put a real sour taste in my mouth for PC based phone. So if is same I would not bother most likely.

Would Google Voice be an option?? Not sure that is something that will work for ya.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what is this phone line you speak of

Old March 28th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Would Google Voice be an option?? Not sure that is something that will work for ya.
We have quite a few Google Voice numbers, and use them pretty regularly. But I hadn't known that there was a way to use them with "real" phones, until coming across these guys a little while ago:

http://www.obitalk.com/

Cheap device, and you then use Google Voice as the VOIP service.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 28th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
what is this phone line you speak of
We have considered dumping it over the years, but for $10/month it has been more than worth keeping it. Using "real" phones and headsets seems much more comfortable than cell phones, and is easier for kids / grandparents /etc.

But I don't want to pay $40/mo for it, so looking for options.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 28th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
stick an old dial up modem in your pc, connect old-style touch tone phone to it, use cross over software to hook that up to google hangouts, make international calls for free and have it linked to your cell number... maybe?

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Magic Jack isn't the best. My gf's family uses them. Sometimes call quality is iffy.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Just bought one of these.

~$50 gadget, that allows you to use a Google Voice number to place/receive calls using a normal phone setup. No charges at all past that initial purchase, unless you add E911 that GV doesn't provide, for $10 - $15/year. If Google Voice sound quality turns out to be less than needed, you can plug into any other SIP provider, which typically run $50 - $100 / year.

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK, totally geeked out and wanted a better google #. Found and bought one ($10) in our local area code, that only has 3 additional digits. (XXX-YYZZ)

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #10
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
111-2233?

That's a bad ass number. I'll give you a buzz to test the GV connection.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Almost. Device gets here Tuesday...

Old March 28th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ahh google. solving problems you didn't even know you had.

Old March 28th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #13
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Hey did anyone know that if you connect two empty soup cans with a string, you can talk and receive through the communications system at distances up to 1000 feet?

If you're over 1000', you need to get clever and redesign the system with empty pringles cans and laser pointers. Morse code helps.

10-13, 10-17, 10-4. 10-99.

Old March 28th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #14
corksil

10-73! 10-73! 10-73! 10-85, copy that.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:40 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - it's a pretty awesome setup. Or at least it's fun to play with, and it's almost free, so there's that.

I have the Obi200 set up, and it's working fine. No weird networking required, it's just plugged right in the back of our standard wireless access point / router / fw thingee and it is ready to go. Online docs make it seem as if you may need to manually open a bunch of different ports, but that wasn't necessary.

Configuring it to work with our Google Voice number took only a few minutes, and I was then able to both place outgoing calls and receive calls using that new GV number. That takes 1 (of 4) ports on the gadget. I then set up the E911 service with Anveo, which costs $15/year. It also was quick to set up, and it takes the 2nd of 4 ports. Once configured, you can dial "933" instead of 911, and it confirms that it is set up properly with your address.

I noticed that we weren't getting the caller ID Name field for inbound calls, and on the outbound calls GV wasn't providing our name either, just the GV number and the text says "unknown". Sadly, there is no easy fix for that outbound problem; GV doesn't provide info for outbound CNAM support. But there is a quick (and almost free) way to get inbound CNAMs again, with the same gadget.

You need to set up a different VOIP service for one of the remaining ports on the box. Callcentric offers very cheap inbound numbers, and for awhile now they are even offering completely free inbound numbers in NY. You need to pay $3 (total, not recurring) for a 911 recovery fee, but they will then give you a free NY number. I chose one with the 646- area code. Once your account is set up on Callcentric, you then go back and configure the Obi for that number in its 3rd port. Finally, you go to your Google Voice dashboard, and you add that new number as the only forwarding phone, disabling the Google Chat checkbox that was used to ring the Obi. Callcentric provides the CNAM data all the way through, at no charge.

So callers dialing in still call our new google voice number, which immediately transfers it via Callcentric, which rings the Obi. This happens pretty much instantly, there is no delay or downgrade in call quality. We see the incoming caller ID number and name. The callers have no idea they actually came in on a 646- number, they only know the california one they called.

For outbound calls, the Obi still uses the Google Voice number, so people receiving our calls will see our number as normal, but again, it doesn't provide our name along with that. This is fixable if we chose a paid plan through Callcentric, VOIP.ms, or any of a number of paid providers, but free makes it easier to live with this small problem.

I then tried to set up our other Google Voice numbers to also have the option of ringing our home phone, by pointing them to the new Callcentric #. But - I think I missed a configuration tweak, so it kept taking that new 646 number away from the original google voice number I needed it on, rather than keeping it on both. So - I went back to Callcentric and got another 646# (no $3 charge this time), and configured it for the 4th port in the box. I then pointed both of our personal GV #'s to be able to forward calls immediately to that 4th number. I think I can fix this for all Google Voice inbound calls to point to that same 1st Callcentric number, which would make this 4th number unnecessary.

But - Callcentric also supports inbound faxes automatically on these free numbers, and emails the fax file to your account email address. I may keep the 4th number just for that purpose, and point any (rare) faxes in its direction so I can cancel our very low dollar myfax account.

Ann was not a happy camper last night as I was playing with this way past midnight, and every time I had to re-add a number to a google voice account, it has to dial that number and ring those phones to confirm they are real. Luckily our kids sleep through anything.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:45 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Help me Obi1. you're my only hope

Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:13 PM   #17
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I have had Google voice from when they were Grand Central in 2005 so I have a good number.
I have had Magic Jack plus since 2011 whenever the stand alone rj45 jack first came out. No issues w/e911 I payed 200 or so back then and will not see another bill until 2017.
If I want my out going call to look like my GV number I need to initiate the call from my computer, that then rings my MJ number, I pick it up, then it calls whoever.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
111-2233?

That's a bad ass number. I'll give you a buzz to test the GV connection.
Now working on porting our old home number over to the new account, so we don't have to tell anyone about the new number. Both the old and the new should stay live forever, so we can give out either going forward.

I had forgotten about this widget I set up years ago; so people can actually call me (it goes straight to my vmail). Just click it and enter the number you want to call from, and it will call you to start the connection.

Old April 4th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - porting took about 24 hrs, and now the process is done. If anyone has internet service, and wants to pay < $50 once for a home phone, with no monthly charges ever for incoming or outgoing calls anywhere in the US, I can confirm this works exactly as advertised.

Old April 6th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #20
corksil

I can conform. I am vonage. Google is listening. Google says 10-4, and would like to add that kittens are still cute according to recently rescinded voter polls of an Ooma nature.

Merger incoming.

Old April 8th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Ann heard some clipping on her calls yesterday, so I tweaked it a bit today. Opened up port 10000 UDP inbound to the box (might be superfluous, but recommended on some Obihai setup guides). Most important tweak was the QoS settings on the router, reserving highest priority for the Obihai box. Today we were both on calls while I was flooding the pipe with speedtests, and the voice didn't clip once.

Old April 16th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quick update a week or so later; no change. Call quality has been perfect since that tweak. A few times we did hear some noises on conference calls, but were quickly able to confirm it was some other poor saps connection on the line, and not due to our funky new setup.

Enjoying that we can set up call screening for the home phone now, as it's a built-in google voice feature. Now those who aren't in our contact list need to state their names and hit a button before being passed through to even ring our phones. Once we add them, I have it configured to never require screening again, so it isn't cumbersome for friends and family.

Old April 18th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #23
corksil

Lol you said "cum-bersome."

What are we actually discussing here? Oh right, you folks are all adults and fine people -- it must be something highly technical and complicated.

*corksil sits back down*

Old November 17th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

2 year bump. Remain completely happy with this gadget. Have changed locations once, wired/wireless routers a few times, and it has survived all the way through. Google Voice clarity has gotten better to the point that there is no perceived difference from it to cell phone to landline at this point, likely also helped by more bandwidth available at all times.

Bump only because Newegg is now selling them for $35 for a week or two with the promo code also at this link:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833617008

Still $50 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/OBi200-1-Port.../dp/B00BUV7C9A

Old November 18th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #25
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Hooray for bumps an gadgets... Well not all bumps but ... Nvm

Old April 10th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Obihai was just purchased by Polycom. They are offering a sale on this same device in this thread, for the same $35.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...08&ignorebbr=1

Get the OBi200 for Only $34.99 Now Thru Thursday, April 12th *
Newegg Promo Code: EMCPTER78

TL;DR: If you have an internet connection, this gadget allows you to hook up any normal phone equipment, including cordless sets, and make/receive free calls via Google Voice. One $35 charge up front for the box, then no service or any other required fees (small caveats in the thread above if you want E911 service).