ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): '97 Ninjette, '06 Ninja 650R

No More Carbs

Well, it finally happened. My Ninjette pissed me off one too many times. I loved the nimble, light little bike (I put 9k miles since last May, including a day at Thunderhill), and only on long freeway hauls (and the front straight of the hill) did I ever feel like it could use more power. However, every time the riding weather would turn good, I'd fire that puppy up, and there would be a new reason to take the carbs off and rebuild them. A week ago was the last time - I decided I was done wasting good riding days working on a 14 year old bike. If the current gen ninjette was injected, I probably would have just gotten one of those. Alas....

Since I liked the ninjette so much, I ended up just getting the big sister. I have to say, this bike is a trip. I've only ridden it home so far (about 60 miles of mostly freeway) and wow, what fun. There's so much power. And anywhere in the rev range. I know this isn't a super-sport, but the power is almost too tempting. I already found myself getting a little illegal on the freeway :-)

It's still pretty tossable (not quite a ninjette), but it'll take me a little bit of time to get used to it. It came with sport bars, and some other cool mods already, so all I have to do is ride (which is exactly what I want to do).

Keep the rubber down,

-Kyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3ppAkl.jpg (58.3 KB, 52 views)

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

The 650s are very nice. I've been checking them out for the past 3 months or so. But, I decided to go with the zx6. Kind of wish I went with the 650 because of the comfort factor. The 650 have excellent torque. And yes, no more carbs!

Enjoy!
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #3
krbreton
ninjette.org member

GoGo-

I took a look at your thread. That ZX-6 looks awesome. I think if you're having ergo problems, give it a little time. Even the 650, with sport bars are giving me a little bit a of neck and wrist soreness from the ride home today (maybe I'm just getting old), but after moving off the pregen, which has the most comfortable riding position ever (a buddy of mine calls it the La-Z-Boy Sportbike), it'll take some time to adjust. I've been told that you get used to the ergonomics pretty quickly. I tend to take longer rides (300+ miles) with friends. Unless you're doing that kind of all-day in the saddle stuff, I bet you'll end up loving the Zx-6.

-Kyle

Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #4
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Thank Kyle. I was thinking the same as you, the soreness was a sign of getting older. It still could be the case. But, I just think I overdid it the last couple of days. I never that I could overdose on riding the bike.

I like the fact that your 650 came with the sporty clip-ons and luggage handles. I'm noticing a lot of people doing that to the bike.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great looking bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM   #6
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Looks sweet - good luck.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Congrats on the new bike, very sharp. You're gonna love it. The 650s, IMHO, are about the perfect street sport bike for commuting and general riding. I myself opted for the 09 ZX-6R.

Enjoy, and it already looks like you got a few mods! Cool deal!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

Great bike! I almost bought that same exact bike.. was an 06 with low mileage and the price was great.. my only hangup with the 650R is the exhaust note.. it isnt exactly inspiring to me the way that an inline 4 sounds.. the look of the bike is awesome... the riding position is super comfortable (maybe a bit too upright for some people) and the power is plenty as you said..

please tell me that you arent going to put an aftermarket exhaust on it though!

Check out http://www.ninja650shop.com/ for some really great parts.

Adam
best of luck with it!

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I park next to one of those in that same color scheme everyday at work. I actually mistook it for a pimped out current gen ninjette the first time I saw it ( I think it was the headlight that threw me off). Beautiful bikes, and I love those red accents. Have fun ^_^
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #10
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Thanks, everybody.

I'm really enjoying the bike. I finally got a chance to throw it through some twisties. It really does feel a lot like the ninjette (which I like). The bike is really easy to throw into the corner, and then roll on and power through (of course the power step is a *lot* more noticeable with this thing).

@Adam - Don't worry, I'm not really a "put exhaust on it" kind of guy. I don't mind the exhaust note (it's kind of fun between 6 and 9k), but I agree with you - the 4 cyl bikes have a really nice sound that this just doesn't have. I've already checked out the ninja 650 shop, and thats where most of the mods the PO put on were from. It's got this really cool LED integrated blinker/brake light that flows to each side when I turn the blinker on. My wife (driving behind me after picking up the bike) thought it was more noticeable than standard (legal) blinkers.

@Banzai - Enjoy that ZX-6R. I just had two (that's right two) little girls, and I know myself - the ZX-6R would be just too much of a temptation. Even the power on tap with this bike is pretty overwhelming right now. I passed a car on a winding road (in a passing zone) and before I knew it, I was doubling the speed limit headed into the next turn. (Not that it wasn't fun, but I really don't need the tickets or the accident to deal with) I have to work up the chain slowly now that I'm a dad :-)

Old March 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #11
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

you should get the targa rear seat cowl for this bike. i think it really makes it look sportier. The reason why i say to do this is because its probably the only thing i can't stand about the 650r is the banana seat
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #12
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I love the feel of the 650 too (though mine is in a Versys). The stock exhaust note is just right for me too, kind of deep and throaty. The suspension on the Versys (similar to yours but with upside down forks, and adjustable rebound and preload front and rear) is more confidence inspiring. It seems to soak up mid corner bumps that would upset the ninjette a little.

I have my ninjette for sale now, but will need to go out for another ride or two before it is gone for sure. I will miss it, but there just isn't room in the garage
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #13
krbreton
ninjette.org member

@MKlein- I agree, the banana seat kind of makes it look like an old guys bike. However, since I carry a small tailbag back there anyways (I just don't like having a tank-bag and I have to put stuff somewhere), it really doesn't bother me that much. Plus, I'm hoping to get the wife on the back, so the comfy seat might help with that proposal (she sat on the bike last night). I have been mildly debating getting the Corbin seat / Trunk combo, which would solve both problems. I just can't quite justify the $799 for the trunk.

@CamaroZ1985 - Awesome! I really liked the Versys, and the suspension is definitely upgraded on that versus the 650r. This bike was just too good of a deal to pass up, so I figured I would slowly upgrade the suspension as I had time/money. I'm having the same debate with my 250. As frustrated as I was with the idea of pulling the carbs again, I sat on it in the garage last night and realized that maybe I wasn't quite ready to get rid of it, especially with all of the upgrades I made last year, getting it ready for the track, and knowing that I will end up having to unload it for cheap, unless I clean/rebuild the carbs and clean the bike up a bit.