ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #1
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Help a nooooooob...

Took the MSF course last weekend. Got my permit yesterday. Just gotta wait until the DL 389 comes in the mail so I can officially get my M-1 weeeee.

Like so many people out there, I've chosen a Ninja 250 as my first bike. I'm sure there are tons of noobs that have made "Is this a good deal?" threads, but every situation is different, so I thought I'd make one anyway lol. I live in the San Fran Bay Area, and it seems like people like to overprice their bikes here.

I'm looking at 2008's and later because, let's face it, they look soo much cleaner.

2008, 1500 miles, $3200

2010, 2300 miles, $3500

2008, 2300 miles, $3500

2009 SE, 5000 miles, $3200

These are the four I've had my eye on. Seems like ~$3200 is the going rate for them. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, so I really want to make sure I make the right choice. Thanks again!
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Holy balls I want bike 2...with all its parts.

For you, probably door #1. Don't worry about cosmetic shape. Yes I know, you want your first bike to be pretty and so did I but the fact of the matter is it's very likely that you'll drop it. I'd get 4 last. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

First of all.. Welcome! Head over to the newbie section and introduce yourself!
Like i just said in another thread.. there are a lot of bay area riders on here, so be sure to introduce yourself!

As far as bikes, the one thing I can recommend (as was recommended to me when I was looking [thanks @Joshorilla]) is to go and look at each bike. I know it might be a hassle, and I didn't believe it at first, but I went and looked at two different bikes, and I knew right away when I saw the second one that I wanted it.

For a price, unless the buyer specifically says FIRM, you can definitely negotiate it down. Mine was listed for $3500 (in so cal), and I got it down to $3000.

As for the bikes themselves, two of them have been dropped (at $3200), and two haven't been dropped (at $3500).
In my opinion, unless you can be 110% sure there is ZERO mechanical damage from said drop, I would not buy a dropped/downed bike. Others may say differently, but that's my opinion. You just never know.
Another thing to look for is maintenance. Any real bike owner should keep their (at least most recent) maintenance records, and it should be current.
After that, like I said, go see the bikes, haggle a little, and then it comes down to personal preference honestly.

The 2010 Blue one looks like it is track ready, so that may be something to look out for. But it also has the same amount of miles as the 2010, and its two years newer, with a lot more upgrades.

I'm going to stop talking now, and let others put their 2c in.
Check out this link as well, I think it a good (but long) guide to what to look for when buying used. Things to look for

Good luck! Welcome! And safe riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
+1

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #4
rasta
Your face

Thanks for the input guys. I guess the main question is, are these prices at least in the ball park of fair prices? Obviously, I want to get on a bike ASAP and start riding, but I don't want to get ripped off lol. Cash is tight for me, so I also need good value

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #5
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Okay definitely not the one missing it's rear plastics. I'd go for the 09 SE, then the blue one.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I guess the main question is, are these prices at least in the ball park of fair prices? Obviously, I want to get on a bike ASAP and start riding, but I don't want to get ripped off lol. Cash is tight for me, so I also need good value
the 3200 bikes you could get for around 2800-3000, the 3500 should be around 3000-32000. Your job to talk them down.

As far as the make sure they're mechanically sound after a drop thing... Well... If you drop the bike theres a 99% chance it's fine. If you CRASH bike...that's different. These bikes appear to be dropped and not crashed. That having been said even crashed bikes can often hold up better than you think. Be sure to find out the distinction and how the damage was obtained.
CVMA #531

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #7
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The first one is missing way too much plastic to be worth even close to $3200. I wouldn't bother with it personally. For price, the last option seems decent. No damage that stands out in the pictures so it's probably not bad. As far as the 2 higher priced options, I'd go for the newer one first (though to be honest I'd personally go for the green one simply because it's green, but I digress). Try talking down that 4th option first.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #8
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Or go to one of the many dealears in phx with left over 250 that are selling them with 1 mile for 3400

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #9
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Also for the ones that did not read the 2010 that is the price if he puts all the stock stuff back on he wants 5k as is

Old July 12th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #10
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Or go to one of the many dealears in phx with left over 250 that are selling them with 1 mile for 3400
Can't be registered in CA though

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
All those prices are to high. As much as I hate green and say offer the 2008 $3000 if it looks perfect. The Special edition with scratches I'd say $2700 if they're not to bad. Milage doesn't matter in the long run because these things will go forever without needing anything. Just watch out for the 6,000 miles and over bikes because your going to want to see they had their valves adjusted.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #12
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
If you want someone to give a second opinion in person try messaging @CycleCam303. We just got his bike up and running again after almost a month of no riding(needed valves adjusted) and he's just looking for excuses to ride around.

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #13
rasta
Your face

I gotta say, it's not every forum where you find people so quick to help out a noob in a thread they've probably seen a million times. I think I'm gonna like this place!

I e-mailed all of them yesterday, and here's somewhat of a pricing update on each...

The red '08....he said price is negotiable, but doesn't have "much wiggle room". Ehhh

Blue '10 is firm. Can't do $3500, so that's out.

Green '08...he can let go for $3250

Green '09 SE...he said price is negotiable, and we can talk if/when I see the bike.

So it doesn't sound like I'm going to get a GREAT deal, but at least the Green '08 seems like the most fair out of the bunch.

Also, when looking for issues with a bike that's been dropped, are there any telltale signs that there are mechanical problems? Of course, I'll be looking for visible damage. But would the engine tell me anything too?

You guys rock haha

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
2008 $3500... It's green, the only real ninja color

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I gotta say, it's not every forum where you find people so quick to help out a noob in a thread they've probably seen a million times. I think I'm gonna like this place!

Quote:
I e-mailed all of them yesterday, and here's somewhat of a pricing update on each...

The red '08....he said price is negotiable, but doesn't have "much wiggle room". Ehhh

Blue '10 is firm. Can't do $3500, so that's out.

Green '08...he can let go for $3250

Green '09 SE...he said price is negotiable, and we can talk if/when I see the bike.

So it doesn't sound like I'm going to get a GREAT deal, but at least the Green '08 seems like the most fair out of the bunch.
The best thing I could say is now that you have it down to two, go see both of them. You might fall in love with one right away.
If you don't mind cosmetic damage (and are sure it is mechanically sound), and are on a tight budget, then I would say the 09 SE only because you can probably work it down to below $3000.
If cosmetics matter, then go with the green '08. And while you are actually looking at it, you may be able to get it to $3200 or $31 even.

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #16
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Hey Wes, I'm selling my white 2011 if your interested. I've got it posted on this forum.. Let me know

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #17
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Wes pm me about checking out those bikes. I can help with checking it out test riding and I have a truck if you decide to buy it. I'm out in the east bay (pittsburg Antioch area) and I'm always down to check bikes out.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #18
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

@rasta I feel for you man. Everyone says the bikes are overpriced but these supposed deals really don't pop up around here. I just looked at the bikes. The green ones look like the best options. The SE supposedly has some cosmetic damage and technically speaking its due for a valve inspection soon at 6.5k miles. (Not really but per the kawi maintenance schedule.) I can use that to haggle the price down a bit.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Totally didnt notice the first one mission...the whole tail. Screw that. The 4th one looks much better now.
CVMA #531

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #20
rasta
Your face

Thanks Cam, I'll keep your offer in mind!

Right now I'm leaning towards the green '08. Seems like the best bet for now.

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #21
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
@rasta I feel for you man. Everyone says the bikes are overpriced but these supposed deals really don't pop up around here. I just looked at the bikes. The green ones look like the best options. The SE supposedly has some cosmetic damage and technically speaking its due for a valve inspection soon at 6.5k miles. (Not really but per the kawi maintenance schedule.) I can use that to haggle the price down a bit.
Says the guy who skipped that first inspection only to find his intake valves nearly floating several thousand miles later

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Trubin
Easy Rider

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Thumbs up

Its quite funny but I was in your shoes just little over a month ago.

Btw. Hello, I'm Trubin, this is my first post.

I couldn't wait to get a bike even before I took my MSF course I was watching craigslist like a hawk for new adds. Much like your area, out here in NYC 250's in the summer are overpriced all are $3200 and above. I looked around other areas and found that it would be worth taking a trip to neighboring counties. Time was right and I drove out with a friend upstate for 1.5 hours to look at at 3 bikes for $2500-3000 range. I got to tell you, it was worth the trip. We ended up getting the first bike we saw for $2400, $200 off the asking price of the add. My buddy slapped his own plate and we were on the road back. Long story short, it was a black 08 250R with 9k miles. A little trouble with DMV ridiculous mileage discrepancy that had it as 90k miles with an extra 0 at the end of the mileage. But, after getting it insured and registered, for 2-1/2 weeks now I've put about 1000+ miles I take it everywhere, work, shopping, vising friends and family.

Anyways what I wanted to say is to take a look at several of them. See what kbb value is for each one and knock off few hundred when negotiating. Make sure the tittle has no liens and just in case have them sign a "Bill of Sale" In NY State the DMV wanted me and the seller to sign additional paper of the transaction where we had to declare the amount of money for which I bought it for. I had to pay taxes on the declared amount.

So far I am completely happy with my purchase and I hope you will find the 250 that is right for you.
Trubin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #23
rasta
Your face

I decided to pull the trigger.

Went out and test rode the Green '08, and thought "F*ck it, let's do it". Suuuuch a smooth ride, especially compared to those MSF Rebels haha. He's dropping it off tomorrow. Got it for $3250, which is a little more than I wanted to spend. But hey, I've seen worse prices than that. Especially since the thing is SPOTLESS, perfect condition.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, even though I'm fairly certain they'll look fairly similar to the pics you've already seen

Today was a good day. -Ice Cube

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #24
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

Went out and test rode the Green '08, and thought "F*ck it, let's do it". Suuuuch a smooth ride, especially compared to those MSF Rebels haha. He's dropping it off tomorrow. Got it for $3250, which is a little more than I wanted to spend. But hey, I've seen worse prices than that. Especially since the thing is SPOTLESS, perfect condition.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, even though I'm fairly certain they'll look fairly similar to the pics you've already seen

Congratulations! And welcome to the club!
Make sure you get yourself a solid set of gear (if you haven't already), and ATGATT.

Ride safe!

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #25
Trubin
Easy Rider

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Quote:

Congrats man!
Trubin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #26
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Congrats on your new bike! Green is the fastest color

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Time to update the Motorcycle(s) section under your avatar Congrats Wes! Become a student of the bike and a of the road and you will do well.

ALWAYS WEAR ALL OF YOUR GEAR.
CVMA #531

Old July 12th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #28
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Quote:

I took the MSF course on a rebel too. BIG difference when i got home and jumped on my ninjette.

Good luck with her!
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #29
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

congrats

Old July 13th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #30
rasta
Your face

Just got it! It looks even better when you own it

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #31
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Nice new bike! Congratulations! Now get out for a bunch of rides this weekend.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #32
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
That one's a case of buying the bike for the parts to use on the track!!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #33
DoubleYellowDan
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE

Congratulations! Looks good!
DoubleYellowDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #34
rasta
Your face

Just got back from my first ride! I don't have it registered yet, so I just went around the streets by my house. Goooood stuff. Spent most of the time practicing starting up hills, getting the money spot with the friction zone and the release of the back break.

ALMOST dropped it lol. I was at a stop sign, making a right turn up a slight incline. Not a HUGE hill, but big enough to roll the bike backwards. I stalled, and it started to lean to the right. I was able to get off and hold it up off the ground, but damn was it close. Hahah oops

Old July 13th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #35
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Don't be afraid to give it more gas when you're leaving from a stop. Just be smooth with letting the clutch out.
CVMA #531

Old July 13th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #36
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Congrats... Def lookin good! Welcome to the open road, and this crazy lil thing of ours.