ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 15th, 2022, 04:29 PM   #1
lordhelemt
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): A few

Red face Fuel Tap/Petcock rebuild still flows when off???

The fuel tap isn’t completely shutting off the fuel when the bike is of and the petcock is in the on position. It was more than a drip but not a steady stream. So brilliantly I decided to rebuild the unit. Purchased a K and L brand kit off eBay, cleaned all the components then replaced all the gaskets.

Doing this actually made it worse! Anyone know if that brand is any good or should I have only used genuine parts?
lordhelemt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2022, 01:06 PM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
K&L has been reliable, in my experience. Very careful reassembly tactics called for, in any case, assembly errors will result in leakage. Your diaphragm return spring is present?

I've sourced softer (than stock) diaphragm shaft orings as well. Work fine. Size is, of course, critical.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2022, 03:43 PM   #3
lordhelemt
ninjette.org member

The diaphragm spring is installed but I’m not sure how that would cause leakage. That said, the new gasket that toggles the on/prime switch appears to be thinner than the original gasket (which I assume is already compressed). Will order a genuine part and see if that corrects the issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 345752F6-EA78-4509-BAA0-3E5C222225EA.jpg (64.6 KB, 9 views)

Old July 16th, 2022, 04:54 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
which kit did you get?
K & L part#?

Some components are shared between pre-gen & new-gen, but there's some that's different.

Also it's not just swapping parts, but also inspecting existing passageways. The seat where plunger sits is important for sealing. Every rebuild I've done has required that area to be cleaned along with resurfacing to remove deposits and pits.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2022, 07:03 PM   #5
lordhelemt
ninjette.org member

Part number KL-763. The housing was dissemble then cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner. All the surfaces appeared to be good, no scratches, residue, etc.

Old July 16th, 2022, 08:20 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Here's kits from K&L:

Where is yours leaking?

1. The gaskets you're holding would cause external leakage at dial. Thickness won't make difference because dial is pressed on with spring. It looks like thin washer, but it's wavy and pushes on dial to seal against gasket. It's #2 part from left that sits between outside plate and dial. If it's completely flat, it's worn-out and you need new spring to push dial onto gasket.

2. If you're getting internal leakage through fuel-hose, that's function of diaphragm and plunger.

Did you get new diaphragm and plunger?
https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Fuel-P.../dp/B001KO4L0A

Make sure plunger tip seals with hole in body of petcock fully. Usually you can stretch spring by about 1/4" and get a little more sealing pressure. Second from right in photo above.

Gordon @ https://customcarbservices.com does extremely good job of rebuilding petcocks and refurbishing carps. Send it to him and you'll be guaranteed brand-new part coming back.

Old July 17th, 2022, 05:35 AM   #7
lordhelemt
ninjette.org member

It's not leaking. It is flowing when on the on position when the bike is not running. Yes, I replaced the diaphragm and spring but I'll stretch to the spring and see if it helps.

The reason I thought it was the gasket in the pic I showed isn't that how the on/prime switch is valved? In other words, if in the on position the gas flows through the vacuum diaphragm? In the prime position it bypasses the vacuum switch?

Old July 17th, 2022, 07:56 AM   #8
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
"Usually you can stretch spring by about 1/4" and get a little more sealing pressure. "

hence my choice of substituting softer than stock diaphragm shaft sealing orings....thus assuring positive seal.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2022, 11:34 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
It's not leaking. It is flowing when on the on position when the bike is not running. Yes, I replaced the diaphragm and spring but I'll stretch to the spring and see if it helps.

The reason I thought it was the gasket in the pic I showed isn't that how the on/prime switch is valved? In other words, if in the on position the gas flows through the vacuum diaphragm? In the prime position it bypasses the vacuum switch?
Yes, dial does flow selection. In PRI flow bypasses diaphragm completely.

In ON, flow goes to diaphragm port 1st, and is blocked by it. Vacuum then pulls plunger away from seat. If fuel is flowing in ON without vacuum, then diaphragm plunger isn't sealing. Inspect the seating surface very closely. Test push the plunger onto seat and verify it seals all around.

Might also want to try ducatiman's softer O-ring idea.

Old July 17th, 2022, 04:09 PM   #10
lordhelemt
ninjette.org member

So I stretched out the new spring a bit and boom it's working properly.

Thanks all!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2022, 07:02 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Interesting... I had pulled mine apart cleaned it and it still leaked so I pulled it off again
a 2nd time re cleaned it, polished the seat and the diaphram valve part the o ring looked fine but I softened it with WD-40 and worked it for a few minutes and put it back on and then stretched the spring a little bit just to be sure, put it all back in and it worked like it should....
I guess the springs are a bit weak eh ? but if you put a strong one in there the small vacuum of the engine won't pull the diaphragm open at idle ! so stretch the spring and leave it at that ! LOL
Bob.......