ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Booster Fan Giving Me Headaches

Hey guys, Im having an issue with my booster/radiator fan. A little background, I recently flushed and refilled coolant and changed oil. Both levels are perfect. I flushed the air out of the system and I think I am good on that front.

Woke up this morning to ride into work and everything seemed fine. Bike was running and shifting well. Got a couple mins into my ride (about 30-40mph) and heard my booster fan click on (makes a real loud whine- not sure if thats common). Now I wasn't riding hard by any means I was in maybe 3/4 gear...cold air (40 degrees ish) was flowing through the radiator so I knew something was up. Pulled over and the fan clicked off after 5 secs or so. Let bike cool down for a minute and popped radiator cap off. When I popped the cap off the level dropped fast-also strangely enough the coolant is luke warm to the touch at most. Let the bike idle with cap off for a couple mins (also ran it at 1/4 throttle) to possibly burn off any air that may have been in the system (fan didn't engage while idling). Had some coolant spill up and out of the fill cap when hitting the throttle and slapped the cap back on. At this point I thought I had a massive air bubble that I had hopefully purged. Got back on the road and hit 30-40 again and the damn fan clicked on again. Pulled over and fan shut off w/in 5 secs. This happened several more times under the exact same circumstances. The fan always shuts off quickly but it seems to me that it shouldn't be engaging when I am driving as the cool air is flowing through the radiator.

So whats the deal here? Sound like the thermostat is stuck closed? I don't have a temp gauge, tach, and my speedo is currently stuck so Im going by feel alone. I was shifting at normal RPM's to make sure I wasn't pushing it hard and it was still flipping the fan on.

Cliff Notes:
Fan engaging while driving
Coolant levels are perfect
Air purged from system (hopefully)
Fan immediately shuts off when I stop and idle
Fan engages at roughly 30-40 mph in 3-4 gear
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
kkim

fan turning off and on, like it has a mind of it's own, is normal.

put your temp gauge back on so at least you'll know what you're dealing with.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

If I had a temp gauge I definitely would put it on...maybe I can stick a thermometer in my bike's tail pipe? Just kidding...

I just can't see how this is normal...A couple weeks ago before I touched the coolant I rode around for an entire day with no fan action. Maybe it would click on at a stop sign or in traffic but never at speed. It doesn't make any sense to me that it would run while air is flowing through the system and shut off when air is not flowing through the system. I may flush/purge the system again in case I screwed something up. If that doesn't fix it then I'll pull the thermostat and test that. I can't stand the sound of that damn fan howling at me when Im at speed...

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4
kkim

first off, the fan ain't supposed to "howl"... mine hums when it comes on.

sorry about the temp gauge recommendation... for some reason I thought you had a pregen.

have you read these?
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cooling_system
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ling_system%3F

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

It hums normally. Today it howled. It was annoying to quite annoying. Yeah, I've read those articles. I followed the second to service the system when I changed the coolant.

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM   #6
kkim

if it howls when the fan comes on, I'd suspect your fan bearings starting to go out, though this would have nothing to do with the fan coming on more often.

could it be because it howls now you're noticing it when it goes on and off and it was turning off and on the same before, only you didn't notice it?

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Definitely possible...I just find it very odd that the fan would engage at all under the conditions today. This was on an open road 30-40 mph in 40 degree weather. My bike is totally naked and the radiator gets absolutely blasted with air. Seems like if I was going to have the fan kick on it would be when I was warming my bike up this morning or when I stopped to check the fan on the side of the road...not when I was driving. Gonna be a nice weekend here...I hope I can figure this out....if not, I suppose there is always beer! As always, thanks for the help Kelly.

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:44 PM   #8
kkim

has the idiot temp light on the cluster came on? does it work... is it installed?

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Nothing on the front but throttle,clutch,brake, starter, and kill switch...

Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

All that worry for nothing....Im assuming I had air in the lines. I drove yesterday and today in 60-70 degree weather with zero issues. Bike was running hot because I had just changed the coolant and I must've done a poor job of purging the air from the system. Checked fan fuse and Im good on that front so I know the fan is still functional. Bike rode like a champ...now to figure out how to adjust the chain as its quite loose.