ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

View Poll Results: Where should I upgrade first with a $200 budget?
Cortech Latigo Air Boots 6 27.27%
Low-end mesh jacket and pants (like AGV Sport Solare) 4 18.18%
Nicer perforated mesh jacket only 5 22.73%
Nicer pants/Lower body protection only 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Bout to have a few dollars... Stressing over what to buy

So I sold 2 of my old smart phone back to Gazelle and am about to have $126 in my Paypal acct. Combine that with what's left of my tax return, and I'm looking to upgrade my gear for the summer.

Right now, I'm good on helmets (2 Bilt helmets that fit me very well) and gloves (new Joe Rocket's that are like the SM2.0, but without the gauntlet).

Jacket, I'm wearing a Bilt textile (notice the pattern already? that vents pretty well with the liner out, but is now really baggy on me. No liner and no fleece under it anymore. Problem is that I'm 6'2" and 175lbs with a 41" chest and long arms. Tall and skinny-ish. I'm thinking Medium-Tall.

Pants, my only pants are Bilt Ironworker Kevlar cargo pants. Usually with jeans or trackpants underneath. I have worn these with nothing under them, and they aren't too hot at all, just not very good protection.

Boots, again, Bilt Typhoon waterproof. Comfy but zero breathability. Won't do well much longer in the Memphis heat.

If you've read this far, I value your opinion. What would YOU spend your next $200 on?

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

New gloves. Stop buying Bilt.....anything. The craftsmanship is shoddy at best. Look in to Alpinestars Sp-2 gloves or Cortech etc gauntlet style gloves. Then i'd work on Alpinestars SMX-5 boots and a new jacket.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #3
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

I hope I don't have to "test" my Bilt gear, but I certainly am trying to upgrade as I am able. Gloves are the same deal... I know these JR gloves are not what I want to end up with in the long run, but for half the price of the Cortech's (which I really really want), the Joe Rocket's will do for now.

I base most of my opinions on the Revzilla reviews. Cortech boots got a great review over there for the price.

I know you are going to say "save a little while and buy it right the first time"... but good gear is better than no gear (or Bilt gear).

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

The money you spent on the bilt gear could have bought you quality used gear.

Craigslist. Used gear. Go.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Boots are never going to breath if their worth a damn. Gloves are second only to helmets so some good gauntlets would be nice Helimots are great but Helds are much easier to find local. As for legs and torso I'm still unsure myself since I've only had my real street gear(two piece textile daniese suit) since October so I'm unsure if this waterproof setup will get me through the summer or not. I maybe be looking for some more breathable gear in the near future like yourself.

Just remember good gear is never cheap and sometime cheap gear is overpriced so the saying "you get what you pay for" isn't always going to work. When you look for gear remember simple is best because if gear is genuinely good it won't need a bunch of stupid plastic and metal bits to distract you from its quality.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
The money you spent on the bilt gear could have bought you quality used gear.

Craigslist. Used gear. Go.
.........or here:

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Tons of quality used gear.

Being slender and tall, you may want to look at a tall size (I would say Large-Tall for you) from Firstgear or Tourmaster, which are the only manufacturers that offer one extra inch length for inseam and arms.

I believe that textile is much better for summer than any mesh.
Maybe a personal preference or just the humid-hot summer of Florida, but I have found mesh not good at all.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #7
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out next. And very interesting observation on textile vs. mesh. Any ideas on why the textile works better? I am thinking a bit more sweat, and then more evaporative cooling once moving. ?

As for Craigslist... I check it daily (not an exaggeration). Around here, you see 2 types of gear/bikes: Harleys and stretched/lowered Hyabusa's. I still check daily.

Was the "boots not breathing" comment about something like the Cortech? I'm curious there because it looks like a HUGE step up from what I have now.

Current (I misspoke about Typhoon): http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...44030_59409_10

Latigo Air: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...o-air-rr-boots

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:32 PM   #8
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I just bought these boots last week

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10133

They seem to breath pretty well. My feet were cold on my last ride, but it was only around 50 degrees.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out next. And very interesting observation on textile vs. mesh. Any ideas on why the textile works better? I am thinking a bit more sweat, and then more evaporative cooling once moving. ?

As for Craigslist... I check it daily (not an exaggeration). Around here, you see 2 types of gear/bikes: Harleys and stretched/lowered Hyabusa's. I still check daily.

Was the "boots not breathing" comment about something like the Cortech? I'm curious there because it looks like a HUGE step up from what I have now.

Current (I misspoke about Typhoon): http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...44030_59409_10

Latigo Air: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...o-air-rr-boots
I glanced at the memphis craigslist and was distracted by Leonardo, the ninja turtle chick magnet: http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/3625746981.html

To filter out the harley stuff preface all your searches with "-harley"
http://memphis.craigslist.org/search/mca?zoomToPosting=&query=-harley&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk="

Edit: Oh and for the textile / mesh question, what you want to do is create a micro-climate around your body. The mesh allows a lot of air through that will mess this up if the ambient temperature is far enough away from the ideal. If it is really hot outside, a textile will keep your cooler body heat next to your body. If it is really cold, it will keep the warmer body heat next to you. The "ideal temperature" varies for everyone but I find about 75 degrees is mild enough that the difference between mesh and textile is negligible. Textile cloth should generally have more abrasion resistance than a netted mesh.

Last futzed with by Lychee; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: textile / mesh
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM   #10
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
I glanced at the memphis craigslist and was distracted by Leonardo, the ninja turtle chick magnet: http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/3625746981.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/search/mca?zoomToPosting=&query=-harley&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk="
That ad gets renewed about every 3 days. My gf thinks it's only an ad for the "test ride".

I did not know CL could do that. Thanks Lychee, I learned something today.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:47 PM   #11
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I just bought these boots last week

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10133

They seem to breath pretty well. My feet were cold on my last ride, but it was only around 50 degrees.
Breathability is a must for me. I have the waterproof boots for cold days, but once it's Summer, it is SUMMER.

Awesome boot, but about double what I'm able to spend right now.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #12
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

A nice leather jacket. Got my alpinestars tstunt for $200 at cyclegear, it breathes well in these hot, humid, crappy TN summers
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM   #13
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
A nice leather jacket. Got my alpinestars tstunt for $200 at cyclegear, it breathes well in these hot, humid, crappy TN summers
Hot, humid, crappy TN summers are what is driving this push for more gear. Well... that and not wanting to be a Bilt posterboy anymore.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:18 PM   #14
toddblue68
ninjette.org member

Name: Toad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

I would suggest the boots first. Those Bilt don't look like they'd stay on in a get-off. They look like slip-on boots. If that's not the case, they're leather and high enough to protect. Next would be the gloves. Something with a gauntlet would be better and again, ensure they can't be pulled off.

The jacket and pants will probably be okay for slow accidents (< 30mph) but will not be up to a higher speed get off. So if you're a fan of backroads with lots of curves and highway speeds, those need upgrading too. Around town, they'll be ok for a minor spill. Pants first, contrary to popular actions. Read just about any medical research on motorcycle accidents and there are more lower body injuries in upper body, but more people buy jackets and wear jeans.

Best advice has been given. Buy good quality products the first (or second) time and you'll save more money over time. It doesn't have to be A* or Dainese but quality is important. Look for barely used items and last years product. I've bought two race suits that new are $800-$900 suits for $300 each, never down, and one never even worn. Boots, $40 brand new but several years old, again, race quality. People buy things, never wear it like they planned (or never), and sell them. You'll have to be patient to find stuff you like (enough) and that fits but craigslist, ebay, racing associations, this forum, are all places to watch. OR buy new and never look back.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #15
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I would make a donation to the "I love psych0hans" fund

Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I would definitely try to get something leather.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #17
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

I'm going to cruise the used-markets for a while to see of I can find some of these great deals y'all are getting.

The boots have a full zip, but I'm not sure they would stay on...
New gloves are good size, but are shortys...

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:51 AM   #18
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

I found some A*s SMX boots for $115 in my actual size! Euro 50. Sucks having big feet sometimes...

I think I'm gonna jump on those as the best value for my $$ right now.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #19
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
I found some A*s SMX boots for $115 in my actual size! Euro 50. Sucks having big feet sometimes...

I think I'm gonna jump on those as the best value for my $$ right now.
Yup. DO IT. With your leftover money, you may want to consider AGV Sport Laguna Gloves. You can usually get them under $100, and they were chosen by Sport Rider magazine as the best racing gauntlet, because they have most of what you get in the top end gloves for a very reasonable price. I love mine.

After helmet, my priorities are: extremities (feet and hands, the things that hit hardest and most often, and get trapped and twisted); then jacket and pants. None of it is unimportant, for sure; but I would wear cheaper jacket/pants before I would wear crappy boots/gloves.

Also: constantly shop closeouts on sportbiketrackgear.com and motorcyclecloseout.com. Lots of ridiculous deals to build up a set of quality gear.

tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:25 AM   #20
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
New gloves. Stop buying Bilt.....anything. The craftsmanship is shoddy at best. Look in to Alpinestars Sp-2 gloves or Cortech etc gauntlet style gloves. Then i'd work on Alpinestars SMX-5 boots and a new jacket.
This.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #21
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Gauntlets and pants are what i would concentrate on.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM   #22
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Well... the money is pretty much gone now.

Through the power of ebay and advrider.com, I bought my gf a pair of Teknic Venom pants and myself an older model teknic Chicane 2 piece suit. Both together for less than my $126 phone rebate. Suit has been down once, but pics of damage are superficial or very repairable. It is non-vented, but I couldn't pass on this deal.

I'll tackle more summer gear on the next paycheck. Thanks for all yalls help!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #23
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Well... the money is pretty much gone now.

Through the power of ebay and advrider.com, I bought my gf a pair of Teknic Venom pants and myself an older model teknic Chicane 2 piece suit. Both together for less than my $126 phone rebate. Suit has been down once, but pics of damage are superficial or very repairable. It is non-vented, but I couldn't pass on this deal.

I'll tackle more summer gear on the next paycheck. Thanks for all yalls help!
Nicely done, sir!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #24
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Nicely done, sir!
Thank you, Thank you... I will most likely get/borrow a perforating tool from Tandy (unless I can borrow) and do some systematic perforations along the inner arms, chest and back.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:27 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
gloves or real leather jacket... i'd say both

Old April 18th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #26
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:

Wow! This is going to save me so much time. Thank you!

@BRad704 I noticed this thread is a little old and your money is all gone now. But if you ever want a one-piece suit? I bought a Sedici suit in November and only wore it once. It doesn't fit me well, as a matter of fact I doubt it fits anyone well. It's just weird. Haha. But you are more than welcome to see if it fits you.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #27
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

How did it "not fit" you? Too tall? too big around? I'm 6'2" 175lb (or so) and you are a bit thinner than I am.

I am currently riding in Cortech Latigo Air boots, Cortech Latigo RR full gauntlet gloves, Teknic leather jacket (upper from 2 piece suit), and my Bilt kevlar cargo pants. My next upgrades will be some type of mesh overpants and maybe a mesh jacket for quick trips to the store/lunch...

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #28
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
How did it "not fit" you? Too tall? too big around? I'm 6'2" 175lb (or so) and you are a bit thinner than I am.

I am currently riding in Cortech Latigo Air boots, Cortech Latigo RR full gauntlet gloves, Teknic leather jacket (upper from 2 piece suit), and my Bilt kevlar cargo pants. My next upgrades will be some type of mesh overpants and maybe a mesh jacket for quick trips to the store/lunch...

It's a US 42. The upper-body is too baggy and the calf area is too big. It is a strange fitting suit. The thigh area is pretty tight though. I doubt it would fit you. I'll probably just put it up on ebay for cheap. It was on clearance so I got a sweet deal on it.

I got a friend with those same Cortech boots and gloves. He seems to like them. I am hoping to get a nice two-piece suit once I get my tax refund.

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #29
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Since I've got the 2 piece Teknic, I'm not really looking for more leather yet anyway. GL with selling on fleabay or Classifieds... I've got a pair of Teknic Women's 6 leather pants that I can't seem to sell. Bought for gf and they are too small.

right now I'm having the internal debate over Icon mesh overpants, or Draggin Liners. I want to be able to stay cool this summer, but still stay safe. Totally unsure of which way to go....

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #30
Jono

Yeah, hopefully I can get rid of it. Haha.

It's impossible to stay cool here in the summer. Especially during the daytime. I'll probably get some mesh pants this summer for riding around town. I will also try some heat out gear. http://www.cyclegear.com/nav/brand/heat-out/0

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #31
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

I haven't read half this thread, but just FYI you can return the bilt gear for a full refund.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #32
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

My Bilt stuff is not within the 30day return, unless it is 'defective', which it has not been...

Old April 20th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #33
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
I haven't read half this thread, but just FYI you can return the bilt gear for a full refund.

I think they recently changed their return policy.http://www.cyclegear.com/exchangesreturns

I thought that you could get a full refund with a year of the original purchase date. Maybe note. But I swear I read that somewhere when I got a Sedici one-piece suit back in Nov. But now I can't find that anywhere.

Anyone know if they did in fact change their return policy?

Old April 21st, 2013, 05:17 AM   #34
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Boots are never going to breath if their worth a damn.
This is not true at all. My SIDI ST Air boots are worth a damn, and they move a ton of air over my feet.
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM   #35
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I think they recently changed their return policy.http://www.cyclegear.com/exchangesreturns

I thought that you could get a full refund with a year of the original purchase date. Maybe note. But I swear I read that somewhere when I got a Sedici one-piece suit back in Nov. But now I can't find that anywhere.

Anyone know if they did in fact change their return policy?
It has a 5 year warranty, find something wrong. Exchange it. Then you have a year from that day. If you run into problems ask for a manager or district manager.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM   #36
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

In my winter/waterproof Bilt textile jacket, one of the snaps in the sleeve that holds the liner came off. Maybe I'll take it back...