ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #1
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Bout to check out a bike

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...029824027.html
heres the ad. what should be the checks i should b doing for a bike with such low miles? also whats a fair price i can offer for it? I know its fairly new and the such so any help is definitely appreciated since im still new to all this!! thanks
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #2
tcbmellowd
Kawakaze

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): 09 Blue Ninja 250

Cool

That price is excellent considering the season, year, and condition. I think anything under 2200 would be a lowball, but it all depends on how motivated the seller is. I would ask how many miles he has put on it, and also for maintenance records. See if he has had any problems during ownership. Ask if the bike was stored inside or outside and check for any leaks, rust, broken/missing parts. Any problems that you can find can go towards lowering your asking price.

Here's a neat buyer checklist that you may want to glance over. I would even consider making a checklist to bring with you.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Best of luck buying!

Mods:|Progrip 728 Blue Aluminum Grips|Custom LED Integrated Tail Light|Flushmount Turn Signals| Fender Chop|CBR250 Hugger|ProGrip Rim Tape|Blue CF Vinyl Seat Covers|
tcbmellowd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Definitely sounds like a great price if mechanically sound. The ad says never laid down, but I would still be curious as to why the fairings were painted. It could just be for personal aesthetics, but still good to ask.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #4
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

awesome guys thanks alot! i will definitely b going off that checklist u linked bro. So now i just need to wait till friday to go and seal the deal if everything goes well! Wish me luck guys, i'll need it

Old August 28th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #5
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

maybe see if he'll race for his pink slip.

i mean seriously, who actually calls a "title", a "pink slip"? Someone who watches fast and furious every night, that's who. This is the first thing (of many) that says STAY AWAY!

Photo 2... the front cowling doesn't fit tight to the side fairing. I'd bet this thing was down, he bought it cheap from someone who dropped it, and spray painted. Chances are the structure for the front cowling/headlight is all out of whack.

That paint job looks like crap, there's NO WAY that was done just for aesthetics. It's a rattle can job for sure.

Exhaust heat shield is missing. Ask where it went. Chances are, it got scraped up pretty bad when it was low sided so he threw it away and was unable to find another one cheap.

what the eff is with the extra stickers on the exhaust? covering up scratches from a lowside?

maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think this guy is full of crap. I wouldn't pay more than 1750 for this given the risk.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #6
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

lol guess u got a point there. and as for the exhaust i think thats the stickers that comes with the exhaust itself? i mean he did say its a big gun exhaust and the sticker says "big gun exhaust evo S". so maybe thats it. But for sure i will keep what u commented in mind tho. thanks!

Old August 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

what the eff is with the extra stickers on the exhaust? covering up scratches from a lowside?
Yes, the extra stickers. They are a dead giveaway.

http://www.biggunexhaust.com/ex_street_kaw.html
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #8
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
maybe see if he'll race for his pink slip.

i mean seriously, who actually calls a "title", a "pink slip"? Someone who watches fast and furious every night, that's who. This is the first thing (of many) that says STAY AWAY!

Photo 2... the front cowling doesn't fit tight to the side fairing. I'd bet this thing was down, he bought it cheap from someone who dropped it, and spray painted. Chances are the structure for the front cowling/headlight is all out of whack.

That paint job looks like crap, there's NO WAY that was done just for aesthetics. It's a rattle can job for sure.

Exhaust heat shield is missing. Ask where it went. Chances are, it got scraped up pretty bad when it was low sided so he threw it away and was unable to find another one cheap.

maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think this guy is full of crap. I wouldn't pay more than 1750 for this given the risk.
The use of pink slip in this area seems pretty common to me.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #9
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

never heard of it, but the "big gun" part looked like it was slapped on over another sticker. obviously not the case, the rest of the bike is still suspect.

I guess "pink slip" is a california thing... "The name "pink slip" is a reference to California certificates of titles before 1988, when they were pink".
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

They're still pink.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

The dmv also refers to it as a "pink slip."

The bike has been down. Well, at least the lever has anyway. The clutch lever ball in pic#4 is bent forward slightly.

Here is what it should look like:

Be careful. Not because it may have been down, but because the owner is trying to cover it up.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Price is almost too good to be true. Sometimes those deals happen, but be careful every step of the way. The bike has almost certainly been crashed (nobody spray-paints flat black on a bike otherwise), so take the "never laid down" as less than truthful. You can check the steering stops for damage as one good indicator of a serious crash.

Sticky thread in our marketplace has a decent checklist:

Buying a used motorcycle - What should I check?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Price is almost too good to be true. Sometimes those deals happen, but be careful every step of the way. The bike has almost certainly been crashed (nobody spray-paints flat black on a bike otherwise), so take the "never laid down" as less than truthful. You can check the steering stops for damage as one good indicator of a serious crash.

Sticky thread in our marketplace has a decent checklist:

Buying a used motorcycle - What should I check?
I used to spray everything flat black, and I'm still mulling it over for my truck, just ain't got the space or a spray booth round here
But agreed it was probly paid down

Old August 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #14
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
The dmv also refers to it as a "pink slip."

The bike has been down. Well, at least the lever has anyway. The clutch lever ball in pic#4 is bent forward slightly.

Be careful. Not because it may have been down, but because the owner is trying to cover it up.
u sir r amazing. i would have never caught that... Now i will be observant and check the bike out very carefully. With this neat little piece of evidence of a crash what should i be looking out for? twisted forks? bent or cracked frame? maybe engine problems?

Also i will be checking out that link provided on buying a used bike. Thanks a whole bunch guys! i honestly appreciate all the help i can get. especially with this bent lever catch!

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
even laid down it's a solid deal so long as the internals are in good condition, a lot of low speed lowsides only cause cosmetic damage + turn signals/bent levers.

I say figure out if it's been crashed, and if it has use that to lower the price to 2000-2250 after making sure that the internals are in good working condition.
as it is though it seems like a good deal to me
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

too many miles, its gonna blow up soon
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #17
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPhantom View Post
u sir r amazing. i would have never caught that... Now i will be observant and check the bike out very carefully. With this neat little piece of evidence of a crash what should i be looking out for? twisted forks? bent or cracked frame? maybe engine problems?

Also i will be checking out that link provided on buying a used bike. Thanks a whole bunch guys! i honestly appreciate all the help i can get. especially with this bent lever catch!
Definitely look for all these things. Look for damage everywhere, not just the fairing. Personally, if the engine runs well, I'd still consider buying it. But if there's evidence the bike was put down, the seller is lying sack of ****, and I would lowball him/her
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote