Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Soju???

Have you ever tried Soju?

I was reading that thread on totalruckus about Wan. He got several people to try it. So I read up on it.

It is "like" vodka apparently, except a little sweeter. I like vodka...though not so much anymore that I'd do several shots like I used to. I'm more of a "one drink" kind of guy.

I go eat sushi and I get a small bottle of sake, and enjoy it throughout the meal. I go out and get one vodka tonic or gin tonic and enjoy that, slowly; Or a Guinness and nurse that for a solid hour.

I'm just wondering who has tried it. I think I may pick up a bottle after work to give it a try. I was going to get the Jinro Chamisul Fresh. It is more expensive than my sake. At $5.25 for a 12oz bottle compared to $12 for a huge sake bottle, it is a bit more pricey. If it is good, the cost doesn't matter that much, since it isn't too expensive.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #2
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

Soju is the Korean equivalent of the Japanese liquor Shochu, although for a reason I can't remember a lot of Shochu is imported classified as Soju.

It is very much like vodka although taste will likely vary depending on what it's made from. I've generally found that it tastes like vodka with a slight sake (nihonshu) note. I'm personally a pretty big fan of shochu/soju and drank quite a bit of it when I lived in Japan. Although I usually drink Japanese whiskey
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #3
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I spent a year in Korea with the Army, I will not comment on my soju experience, "shivers" , but yes I have tried it.

nb

Old March 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I know a guy that was stationed over in Korea, he seemed to like it, said I had to try it.

Old March 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I tried some last night. I snagged a bottle of Jinro Soju 24%. Ok, for starters, I has a bit of a bite. Compared to my normal of Sake or Gin/Tonic, it isn't as smooth. So it was a bit different for me.

However, I used to be a big vodka guy. I still will drink vodka too, mainly in mixed form. It is quite similar to vodka, but less kick and bite. It has a softer note to it, not near as harsh. This would be great for mixed drinks.

Shooting it, well I must be getting soft because I didn't care for it much. Then again, it was right before I ate, so I felt it hit my empty stomach. I think I need to try it when I have some good and spicy korean or thai food in front of me. Dang you Sake, you have set high standards!! lol

I hope to find some Jinro Chamisul Fresh (which my local store didn't carry). I may try to call a different branch of the store chain to see if they have it. We will see.

I may keep a bottle on hand. I'll tell you this though, I'd rather keep a bottle of Soju on hand than Vodka now. I'm going to maybe try a screwdriver tonight. Make one with Soju and another with Vodka and compare. Hmm...I need orange juice.....

Old March 10th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #6
pinkard129
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 04' ninja matte black and naked

from my experiance soju is a sipping drink meant to be served warm. but it is also great as a mixer. last time i drank it, a buddy of mine and me had polished off a bottle while playing cards. i dont remember anything after standing up but felt pretty sober till that point. apparently i had blacked out for bout 3 hours, didnt remember a think lol i'll just leave it at that. to me it was extremely smooth compared to vodka, i liked it
pinkard129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Soju is? Hmm, I heard the opposite, served cold. I could be doing it ALL WRONG!!! Meh, not the first time.

I hope to get my hands on some nice Sake tonight.

I love Sake. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

See that bottle on the left? That huge bottle? Yeah, 12 bucks baby. I'm all over that.

Old March 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #8
esi7esi7

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 09 ZX6R

Get some strawberry or peach juice from the Korean grocery store and mix it with the soju. It comes in short aluminum cans. That used to be my favorite when I used to go karaoke.

I like soju better than sake but I'm probably biased since I'm half Korean.

Old March 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I would have never guessed Lisa. I met you and I couldn't figure it out. Then again, I'm horrible at that and guessing people's ages, so I just keep my mouth shut.

Old March 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #10
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

well i've never been to Korea...and really have never tried soju at all

but we've become complete Korean Drama Series Junkies and have seen many-a-soju conjured encounters!

and..thats as close as i'll probably ever get

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote