ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
wsrussell7
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Spencer

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Bike Won't Idle below ~2500rpm

Hey guys, I'm having a problem getting my 08 ninja running properly. I bought it recently and it has problems starting up and idling. It has ~2000 miles on it and a K&N R-0990 Oval Filter.

When I start the bike up, I have to apply the choke halfway and turn it over for at least 5-7 seconds before it'll start. Then the bike may either rev out to 7krpm or die out. Sometimes it'll run fine and i can turn the choke off after riding a block or so. After its warmed up it won't idle much below 3k rpm and definitely not anywhere close to 1250-1500.

I just went in today and bumped up to a 110 main from a 100 main jet. The carbs were extremely clean and so was the stock pilot jet. The clip is on the 4th spot from the top of the needle.

Any ideas on why it won't idle?
wsrussell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

You need to play with your jetting, you are probably not getting enough fuel as these bikes run lean at low rpm ranges.

Look at other people with similar setups here, ask what they did in terms of jets.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

check your idle screws, and all the vacuum hoses are connected properly.

what pilot jet do you have?

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I believe he has a stock pilot jet
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
first of all, put the airbox back in. theres no benefit to pods outside of sheer laziness. no power benefit. nothing. in fact the best tune you'll get on pods will be worse than the best tune you'll get with a box. if you want more flow, take out the snorkel... use a higher flow filter or no filter if you must. but keep the airbox. the airbox smooths the air flow giving you the potential for more power vs a pod filter or straight vstacks (without a box)

secondly, the pilot jet controls the amount of fuel going into the system at idle. only the pilot. (well and the choke which is a fuel enricher) so if it has trouble idling, the pilot jet is likely the piece that needs to change.

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #6
wsrussell7
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
first of all, put the airbox back in. theres no benefit to pods outside of sheer laziness. no power benefit. nothing. in fact the best tune you'll get on pods will be worse than the best tune you'll get with a box. if you want more flow, take out the snorkel... use a higher flow filter or no filter if you must. but keep the airbox. the airbox smooths the air flow giving you the potential for more power vs a pod filter or straight vstacks (without a box)

secondly, the pilot jet controls the amount of fuel going into the system at idle. only the pilot. (well and the choke which is a fuel enricher) so if it has trouble idling, the pilot jet is likely the piece that needs to change.
After reading posts here, I would agree, but I bought the bike like this so that's not really an option. I went off of what others were posting in the jetting database hoping to get close, but I'm still having the problems so I was just wondering if something else could be wrong.

And yes it has the stock pilot in.

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
wsrussell7
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
check your idle screws, and all the vacuum hoses are connected properly.

what pilot jet do you have?
I've just been adjusting the idle mixture screws. Now I've got it to the point where it will idle at 2500 rpm and from there if I give it gas it will rev great. If I lower the idle any, it barely idles and if I give it gas it bogs and dies immediately.

Should I try a 40 pilot jet?

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #8
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrussell7 View Post
I've just been adjusting the idle mixture screws. Now I've got it to the point where it will idle at 2500 rpm and from there if I give it gas it will rev great. If I lower the idle any, it barely idles and if I give it gas it bogs and dies immediately.

Should I try a 40 pilot jet?
if everything else looks good then yes.

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Are you in Charleston, WV (mountains) or Charleston, SC (sea level)?
How many turns out on the idle mixture screws did you go?
Can you adjust the idle speed with the idle adjustment knob at all?
What type of exhaust do you have?

Idle speed should be set when the bike is completely warmed at 1300 +/- 50 rpms.
A 40 pilot jet is unnecessary. You should be able to get it to idle fine with the stock 38. Have a good read and look at the link below. Should offer you some good insight for your jetting needs

Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #10
wsrussell7
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Are you in Charleston, WV (mountains) or Charleston, SC (sea level)?
How many turns out on the idle mixture screws did you go?
Can you adjust the idle speed with the idle adjustment knob at all?
What type of exhaust do you have?

Idle speed should be set when the bike is completely warmed at 1300 +/- 50 rpms.
A 40 pilot jet is unnecessary. You should be able to get it to idle fine with the stock 38. Have a good read and look at the link below. Should offer you some good insight for your jetting needs

Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf
SC at sea level. I started at about 2.5 turns out and went .5 turns each time until they were all the way turned out. If I adjust the idle knob any below 2500 rpm, the motor just dies. It has the stock exhaust.

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm having a problem getting my 08 ninja running properly. I bought it recently and it has problems starting up and idling. It has ~2000 miles on it and a K&N R-0990 Oval Filter.

When I start the bike up, I have to apply the choke halfway and turn it over for at least 5-7 seconds before it'll start. Then the bike may either rev out to 7krpm or die out. Sometimes it'll run fine and i can turn the choke off after riding a block or so. After its warmed up it won't idle much below 3k rpm and definitely not anywhere close to 1250-1500.

I just went in today and bumped up to a 110 main from a 100 main jet. The carbs were extremely clean and so was the stock pilot jet. The clip is on the 4th spot from the top of the needle.

Any ideas on why it won't idle?
Quote:
SC at sea level. I started at about 2.5 turns out and went .5 turns each time until they were all the way turned out. If I adjust the idle knob any below 2500 rpm, the motor just dies. It has the stock exhaust.
How long have you had this bike and how long had it sat before you got it?
Did you physically clean(blow compressed air, poke fine wire thru) the pilot jets at all?
Did you synch the carbs?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #12
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Were the diaphragms tear-free when you opened carbs? Like dablue1 suggested. Remove the jets and clean them out so that way you know they're good instead of guessing. Also, make sure your rubber boots that connect the carbs to the engine is on snug and not loose.

110 mains sounds rich to me with a stock exhaust.

Old May 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
There's an easy way and hard way to do this, hard way is continue to try matching the jetting to your setup.
Easy way is to find some other retard who believes the airbox is for noobs(or something) and doesn't need his so you buy it and install it. No guess work, just work proven to work.

If you continue down the hard path I wish you the best of luck because you are a more determined soul than I.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #14
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
There's an easy way and hard way to do this, hard way is continue to try matching the jetting to your setup.
Easy way is to find some other retard who believes the airbox is for noobs(or something) and doesn't need his so you buy it and install it. No guess work, just work proven to work.

If you continue down the hard path I wish you the best of luck because you are a more determined soul than I.
just install an EFI kit, lol.

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #15
wsrussell7
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
How long have you had this bike and how long had it sat before you got it?
Did you physically clean(blow compressed air, poke fine wire thru) the pilot jets at all?
Did you synch the carbs?
Im not sure how long it sat, but it was for a while since it only had a few hundred miles on it when i bought it.

I pulled the pilot jets and checked, they were spotless, as was the rest of the inside of the carbs. I was surprised actually. After reading on here, i thought for sure that was part of the problem, so I was ready to clean the hell out of everything. I sprayed most of the insides down anyway though.

I have yet to sync the carbs. I guess that's my next step. What kind of problems would you experience with out-of-sync carbs?

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #16
wsrussell7
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Were the diaphragms tear-free when you opened carbs? Like dablue1 suggested. Remove the jets and clean them out so that way you know they're good instead of guessing. Also, make sure your rubber boots that connect the carbs to the engine is on snug and not loose.

110 mains sounds rich to me with a stock exhaust.
Yeah as far as I could tell when I was looking at the needles, the diaphragms were in good shape. And the carbs were on there pretty well too. The 110 pulls much better throughout the upper range of the rpms now, where as before it felt like the bike would fall flat on its face after lik 8k.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!