ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 14th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #1
PBurgh21
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Bike Wash

Hey guys brand new here, just picked up a 2012 250. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on washing of bikes. Does anyone want to throw out their tips, tricks, maybe the stuff they use to clean their bike. The previous owner was in a hurry to sell because of family problems so the bike is dusty and can use a good wash. Thanks everyone.
PBurgh21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Here are a few good threads:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74366
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136652
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...61&postcount=1
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...24&postcount=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXcaVuXlzO0

Using the Google site search is a lot more productive.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #3
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

hey tom

congrats on the bike buy

In the past I've washed motorcycles like I washed my cars, but I don't take the water hose to my cycle like that because it's difficult to get all the water outta places that'll eventually cause corrosion. I'll use the hose on the under-side and into the rear wheel fender-well, removing the lower and side fairings to access engine areas. I have a compressor that I'll use to blow dust and residual water out, careful to keep the pressure low enough to do the job and not force water into areas through seals. (have read about that happening though I've never experienced water damage like that myself)

In the corrosion-rich, airborne sea salt environment that is Hawaii, I do spend a lot of time wiping down the motorcycle.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 14th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

I don't use water at all, unless there is mud caked on, which is hardly ever the case.

I use an off-brand cleaner/wax spray that you spray, wipe with rag, then buff it to a shine. Works on all surfaces, although I don't use it on the seat (don't want to make it slippery). I use a plain old wet rag for the seat.

This probably goes without saying, but don't use any tire shine on your bike unless you want to know what this feels like.

Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #5
pwalo
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 SE

If the bike is dirty I use a product called MotoMuck (local product in NZ). Spray it on a dry bike.

Have a cup of tea (or wait 10 minutes), hose off.

Then use Muc Off bike wash, using a soft brush to agitate any remaining dirty spots.

Hose off again.

Spray engine, lower fairing area, and running gear/wheels with Muc Off spray.

Dry off remainder of bike. Wax. Dry and re lube chain.

I'm lazy so usually I clean the bike off and give it a quick wax every day I ride. Means it's always pretty clean.
pwalo is offline   Reply With Quote