ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 29th, 2019, 09:13 AM   #1
satiar2001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Satiar

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Ninja 250 dies while riding

Hi I have a 2006 Ninja 250R. I am having a problem with it that I can’t get my mind around nor can I find anything in it online. I just bought this bike last week and it runs and drives and idles fine but after 20 min of riding it bogs down and dies and it won’t start until you let it sit for a little while. This happened every ride. 2 days ago i took it out again and it rode it for 2 hours with no issues. I thought some how it fixed its self so i took it out for a 4 hour ride and had no issues with it until about a mile from my house when i was coming home, which it bogged down and died same problem as before. So far I have changed the battery, replaced spark plugs, changed the air filter and cleaned the air box, bought a new petcock, new fuel lines and new fuel filter, new oil and oil filter, cleaned out the gas tank and put fresh gas, put in a refurbished Carburetor. New coolant (even though it was not over heating), Also my battery is getting charged i have checked to make sure. It doesn’t change anything if i on it on the reserve position or the on position. I am completely lost.
satiar2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #2
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): bastardized ninja 250 (think land speed record with a sidecar) soon to swap a 500 engine

Bogging down and dying kinda sounds like a fuel issue.

Is it wet at all where you ride? Sometimes water (even from a puddle) can get sucked up into the fuel tank vent tube if it hangs low. When this happens, instead of letting air into your tank, it tries to pull water, and basically stops fuel from flowing into your carbs. Opening the gas tank and having it restart right away would be a sign of this. Mine did this several time in the rain, once on a very busy bridge from SF to Oakland in a downpour. One of the more scary things that has happened to me. If this is the case, just trim the line up 6”

Also check your gas tank vent holes for dirt or anything else that’ll plug them. And that the vent line or lines if you have a CA bike, are not pinched off.

Riding with an open gas cap and not having issues would point to any of the above potential issues. Don’t do this with a full tank of gas though

Another very slim possibility would be tight valves. Where the engine at operating temp doesn’t have valves that seal all the way when the clearances tighten up with heat. But that’s something that appears closer to 5-10min of running. Are you running harder/hotter on your way home?

Check your vacuum line to your petcock, make sure it’s soft and has a good seal, and pulls good vacuum while running.

*edit, threads showed up with a similar problem:
Is your igniter overheating? Someone poured cold water on it and it started right up. Maybe try that next time? The bogging seems less like no spark though

Last futzed with by Mauricemonge; October 28th, 2019 at 12:47 AM. Reason: More stuffs to add
Mauricemonge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2019, 06:16 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricemonge View Post
Bogging down and dying kinda sounds like a fuel issue.

Is it wet at all where you ride? Sometimes water (even from a puddle) can get sucked up into the fuel tank vent tube if it hangs low. When this happens, instead of letting air into your tank, it tries to pull water, and basically stops fuel from flowing into your carbs. Opening the gas tank and having it restart right away would be a sign of this. Mine did this several time in the rain, once on a very busy bridge from SF to Oakland in a downpour. One of the more scary things that has happened to me. If this is the case, just trim the line up 6”

Also check your gas tank vent holes for dirt or anything else that’ll plug them. And that the vent line or lines if you have a CA bike, are not pinched off.

Riding with an open gas cap and not having issues would point to any of the above potential issues. Don’t do this with a full tank of gas though

Another very slim possibility would be tight valves. Where the engine at operating temp doesn’t have valves that seal all the way when the clearances tighten up with heat. But that’s something that appears closer to 5-10min of running. Are you running harder/hotter on your way home?

Check your vacuum line to your petcock, make sure it’s soft and has a good seal, and pulls good vacuum while running.

*edit, threads showed up with a similar problem:
Is your igniter overheating? Someone poured cold water on it and it started right up. Maybe try that next time? The bogging seems less like no spark though
I'd try this first.

Not an uncommon issue with the Ninja.

A safer way may be to ride until the issue presents itself, then stop and open the gas cap - listening for air rushing in that would indicate a lack of venting.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 28th, 2019, 09:03 AM   #4
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

I would also check the carb atmospheric pressure sensing tube to make sure it's not clogged. It's a tube that is connected to a T in between two carbs and on my bike it's routed to the back over the air box where the battery is sitting. The way it's designed I see it's possible for bugs to build a hotel complex in it.

Last futzed with by SibSerge; October 28th, 2019 at 12:02 PM.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2019, 11:34 AM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiar2001 View Post
... and new fuel filter
Tell us more about this "new fuel filter" that you've recently added.

I ask this because we (the forum members) have seen this sort of thing before: an owner adds an aftermarket fuel filter, thinking they're doing a good thing, but he accidentally sets up a fuel-starvation situation.

I would suggest, as an experiment, that you remove this "new fuel filter" from your bike's fuel system and then go for a test ride along the same routing on which it failed during one of your earlier rides (and I'm talking about a route with long stretches of hard-on-the-throttle riding).

Let us know how this goes.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2019, 01:14 AM   #6
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Just curious, when it does this, did you try switching to reserve, and get running results, or vice versa?

I had a dealership PRICE TAG inside my new bikes tank once. Over the course of a few months, the lamination on the tag finally softened, and some days "On/run" would die, so I switch to reserve ( even though tank was full of gas) and then randomly later reserve would die..then flip back to run/on. Then once or twice neither selection got flow. I drained the tank, and nothing came out. Same issue persisted a day or two later. I thenpulled the petcock, and drained the tank. Sure enough a soggy cardboardy laminated corner of price tag, was barely sticking out of the hole, where the petcock tubes went in.

Bottom line, wouldnt hurt to completely drain, and inspect the tank internal for weird, floaty, soft bits, that could be pulled into the tank main, and reserve tubes.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote