Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
What ever stock is.
105 probably. Hmmm, I'm running a 110. That's a good performing Ninja,

Bill

Old December 7th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #42
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
What ever stock is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
105 probably. Hmmm, I'm running a 110. That's a good performing Ninja,

Bill
He's got newgen, so 98.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #43
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Name: randy

Motorcycle(s): '74 Honda CB450K, '87 Ducati Paso750, '17 Kawasaki EX300

Greetings all. I wanted to provide an update to those interested parties regarding the $32 fork brace from Jhina designed to fit the Honda CB300. I did modify it as I outlined in an initial post and installed it. Works a treat. Took a couple of hours. No issues. I will tidy it up a bit once I remove it again when I begin installing the faring kit fro Jhina in a day or so. I noted that the finish on the ninja's fork lowers is shite. Flat black paint on bare metal... Anyway, the final word on this IMHO is: good, inexpensive mod. Easy to achieve with a drill press, a little experience, etc. It is discreet: you really can't see it on my black bike. Pictures tell the story. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2098.jpg (128.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2100.jpg (107.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2112.jpg (116.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2115.jpg (67.4 KB, 18 views)
randycastell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #44
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Can you tell if there's any improvement, using the wheel between the legs and twist test method?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #45
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Please post some datalogs of laptimes before & after? Broken down into section-splits if possible. Would be nice to know where the biggest gains are. I suspect the slowest transitions would benefit most. Such as Sonoma's 9a/9b chicane or T11 @ Thunderhill.

Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:12 PM   #46
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycastell View Post
Thank you so much for your valued opinions. Fortunately I do have a somewhat proper metal shop (I do architectural fabrication for a living- I make stuff) and a decent drill press that will allow me to precisely clamp the fork brace in positions that will give me exact boring. The pilot drill will be indexed to the center of each 60mm hole if you will, drilling into steel support substrate and nothing shall change as I remove material at slow rpms with good lubrication. I Promise. :-) I think I can achieve the tolerances require to keep the forks parallel. Thank you again for your valued thoughts and opinions. I will certainly keep the thread updated.
Choneofakind is right. Using a drill press and a hole saw is pretty much going to guarantee failure. The tolerances for each aren't even close to what you will need to get it right. There are a lot of ways to get this wrong and virtually no benefit. I have done at least ten 3 hour endurance races on my 250 Ninja and I don't use a brace. The front end works great with the right springs, oil, and emulators. (We have seven wins, so we ain't exactly slow.)

My advice is don't waste your time.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:31 AM   #47
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Choneofakind is right. Using a drill press and a hole saw is pretty much going to guarantee failure. The tolerances for each aren't even close to what you will need to get it right. There are a lot of ways to get this wrong and virtually no benefit. I have done at least ten 3 hour endurance races on my 250 Ninja and I don't use a brace. The front end works great with the right springs, oil, and emulators. (We have seven wins, so we ain't exactly slow.)

My advice is don't waste your time.
Sorry to disappoint you mate, but it was done weeks ago, took little time for a professional fabricator to machine, and it works a treat. ;-)

Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:16 PM   #48
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you mate, but it was done weeks ago, took little time for a professional fabricator to machine, and it works a treat. ;-)
And what does it actually do for the handling of your bike?

Old January 4th, 2018, 11:18 AM   #49
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Quote:
And what does it actually do for the handling of your bike?
You seem to present yourself as very knowledgable and experienced: why would you be asking me what a fork brace does for handling? Please read an earlier post of mine after fitment to get a sense of my experience, observation and opinion. In a few words brother: It feels really good. Stiffer. Corners better on the roads I ride which are sadly a bit bumpy and out of shape. Take it easy. ;-)

Old January 4th, 2018, 12:17 PM   #50
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Randy,
A defensive posture is not necessary in this group.
On this board there is a large representation of 250/300 racers from across the country. Many with years of experience under their expert plates. None of the racers commenting have seen fit to perform this mod to the 250/300 chassis. Good suspension will go along way farther to improve the handeling of these bikes.

Congrats on a successful DIY mod, just keep in mind it isn’t for everyone.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2018, 01:29 PM   #51
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Randy,
A defensive posture is not necessary in this group.
On this board there is a large representation of 250/300 racers from across the country. Many with years of experience under their expert plates. None of the racers commenting have seen fit to perform this mod to the 250/300 chassis. Good suspension will go along way farther to improve the handeling of these bikes.

Congrats on a successful DIY mod, just keep in mind it isn’t for everyone.
Nor are Mikuni carbs on the Ninja but at my earliest opportunity the Keikins are history.

Bill

Old January 4th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #52
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Nor are Mikuni carbs on the Ninja but at my earliest opportunity the Keikins are history.

Bill
There’s no production class race rules that allow changing the carbs.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #53
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
There’s no production class race rules that allow changing the carbs.
There's only one production class I care about - MINE.

Bill

Old January 4th, 2018, 02:45 PM   #54
tgold
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
You seem to present yourself as very knowledgable and experienced: why would you be asking me what a fork brace does for handling? Please read an earlier post of mine after fitment to get a sense of my experience, observation and opinion. In a few words brother: It feels really good. Stiffer. Corners better on the roads I ride which are sadly a bit bumpy and out of shape. Take it easy. ;-)
Not trying to knock your experience or your ability to machine. I was asking in terms of performance what it did for you as I don't see any of your comments other than "works a treat". Also, when installing the brace were any other suspension mods done at the same time? That is important to know.
Believe it or not, one way that suspension works while leaned over is through flexing to provide bump compliance. This is because the sliders don't move as well when hitting a bump while leaned over and on the edge of the tire.
Some flexibility in the forks also provides good feedback or "feel". A fork can be too rigid and can give you the uncomfortable feeling that you are on the razor's edge but not really able to tell for sure what is going on with the front. So in that respect the "flexiness" of the Ninjette front end is not all bad because it has pretty good feel.
If you want to improve the performance of the front end on the 250/300 Ninja, the best place to start IMHO is correct springs for your weight, cartridge emulators and the correct oil. I did this on my racebike and I haven't had to touch a thing on the front end for two straight seasons.

Last futzed with by tgold; January 4th, 2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Clarify

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:41 AM   #55
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Not trying to knock your experience or your ability to machine. I was asking in terms of performance what it did for you as I don't see any of your comments other than "works a treat". Also, when installing the brace were any other suspension mods done at the same time? That is important to know.
Believe it or not, one way that suspension works while leaned over is through flexing to provide bump compliance. This is because the sliders don't move as well when hitting a bump while leaned over and on the edge of the tire.
Some flexibility in the forks also provides good feedback or "feel". A fork can be too rigid and can give you the uncomfortable feeling that you are on the razor's edge but not really able to tell for sure what is going on with the front. So in that respect the "flexiness" of the Ninjette front end is not all bad because it has pretty good feel.

If you want to improve the performance of the front end on the 250/300 Ninja, the best place to start IMHO is correct springs for your weight, cartridge emulators and the correct oil. I did this on my racebike and I haven't had to touch a thing on the front end for two straight seasons.
We experienced this when we added a fork brace to our Ninja 500 race bike back-in-the-day.

It made the front feel more vague at the limit and chatter where it didn't before. We took it off.

That's one reason I questioned another member that was installing late-model inverted forks on the Ninja 250. The entire suspension and frame design on these bikes are not that rigid, and all flex together. Making one area more rigid can adversely affect the overall feel of the entire unit.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2018, 10:14 AM   #56
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Thank you all so much for sharing all your accumulated knowledge and for caring so deeply as to take the time to write thoughtful responses with suggestions and ideas. I am swayed most definitely by the community to remove the fork brace and consider other proven mods to the front suspension. Thank you again. Unfortunately the bike was ruined (totaled) by a large SUV in the local market parking lot (driver did not see the black bike).

The fork brace did nothing to limit damage. :-)

I have not seen the bike since I left it with the shop 12/21/17, but I did purchase a white non ABS Ninja 300.

Old January 8th, 2018, 10:33 AM   #57
Ram Jet

Quote:
Thank you all so much for sharing all your accumulated knowledge and for caring so deeply as to take the time to write thoughtful responses with suggestions and ideas. I am swayed most definitely by the community to remove the fork brace and consider other proven mods to the front suspension. Thank you again. Unfortunately the bike was ruined (totaled) by a large SUV in the local market parking lot (driver did not see the black bike).

I have not seen the bike since I left it with the shop 12/21/17, but I did purchase a white non ABS Ninja 300.
Sorry for your loss. That's one reason I avoid parking in the main parking lot with the automobiles. For example, if I go to Walmart I park the bike near the main entrance to the store near a bicycle rack or some outdoor benches and tables. Yes, I park on the sidewalk at the front of most stores. I park out of the way and no one ever gives me a hard time about it.

Just me I guess. Also, if I have to park where the cars do, I park with my tail light in line with the autos tail lights so people don't think there's an empty spot and pull in and bash my bike.

I think you're gonna like the 300. For every door that closes another opens.

Bill

Old January 8th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #58
DannoXYZ

Sorry to hear about your mishap! The iodiocy of SUV drivers never cease to amaze me! I saved these photos from this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/off-topi...s-glory-146846

Old January 8th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #59
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

@JacRyann

Love the third pic. Looks like a guy is just sitting in the hummer waiting to leave.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #60
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
That's a bummer about your bike but I hope you enjoy the new one. I always make sure to park so I'm visible, too. Tail lights in line with the cars, owning the whole space, that kind of thing.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2018, 01:24 PM   #61
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
@JacRyann

Love the third pic. Looks like a guy is just sitting in the hummer waiting to leave.
AHahhaha!!! I wished I could've been there to see this! And she had her kids inside too! Amazing how tough concrete is; ultimate strength around 3000psi, even more if steel-reinforced.

Old January 8th, 2018, 07:08 PM   #62
tgold
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Unfortunately the bike was ruined (totaled) by a large SUV in the local market parking lot (driver did not see the black bike).

Sorry about your bike. Glad to see that your sense of humor is intact

Old January 8th, 2018, 08:02 PM   #63
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Yes, sorry Randy, but glad you got a new one.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2018, 05:02 PM   #64
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Thank you so much Sir. I got a great settlement from the insurance company, and I honestly prefer the non-abs and the white color. I love this bike and can't stay off. Cheers!