ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
moonwalker
n00b4life

Name: Alexey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki EX250J8F Ninja 250R

Odometer works, speedometer stuck at 0

Searched the forum and wiki but couldn't find anything useful so far.

Problem is in subj. This morning did the usual checks (tires, levels, lights, etc.), got on a bike, but when I started moving noticed that speedometer is stuck dead at 0. So I turned around, parked it, and went to work in a cage (didn't really have time to look for the cause of the problem at that moment). Now I just took my bike for a short ride around my parking lot to check if odometer is out too, but it was apparently working while speedometer was still stuck at 0, which I guess means problem is not with cable. At some point half way through the loop around my apartment complex speedometer suddenly kicked in and seemed to show correct speed without any jumping around. I've read about gears going bad but I would assume in that case my speedo needle would be shaking or jumping around whereas mine was steady, first steady stuck at 0 then steady showing current speed. Does anyone have any idea how I can figure out what's the problem and prevent it from happening in the future?

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Double check the cable, I've had it appear to be on correctly, but the internal shaft was out of alignment, speedo went from working perfectly to stuck at 0mph. A second check showed it had disconnected.

I didn't think to check if it had stopped the odo.

Its a few seconds to check it & reconnect it
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

If the odometer works, the cable is fine. The speedo is driven by a magnet and sometimes the needle can get stuck. You may be able to disassemble and clean/lube if it happens again. I've done old auto clusters but never the 250.

Old September 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

May be time for a new speedo. Many are available on eBay. Maybe you can reduce your mileage that way.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
pull off the speedo cable and check for damage- this takes all of 30 seconds. if its not damaged (its easy to tell) then your speedometer has damage. disassemble the gauge and check for damage.

Old September 12th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Adaptive
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

My speedo and tach (and recently fuel gauge) all get stuck at random, and it has to do with them getting hot and sticking to the little pin they rest on. I actually replaced the entire cluster and had the problem develop on the new one too.

I think the problem is that the little resting pin is black, and it heats up in the sun, along with a bit of moisture getting in there. I know this because when you pull the glass off the cluster you can literally feel how it's stuck to the resting pin. Next time I open it up, I plan on doing something to the resting pin to keep the needle from sticking to it.

I only mention this because it may not be a cable issue. It wasn't for me, and replacing the cluster was a waste of time.
Adaptive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That's a new one! I hadn't heard of that being a possible cause before.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Adaptive
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That's a new one! I hadn't heard of that being a possible cause before.
Haha, yeah. I made the realization after noticing the issue was intermittent, and thinking of the movies with pilots flicking the gauges. Flicking doesn't work for me, but I can reliably "fix" it temporarily by punching the cluster with my gloved hand a couple times, preferably at some speed since the needle ought to be moving up then. I bet it's a great site to see someone punching their cluster while riding...
Adaptive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Odometer works, speedo stuck on 30

Even after its been turned off.

The hell?

Old September 21st, 2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

Looks like the OP had the same issue, so we can collect any fixes in one place. Good luck!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 01:37 PM   #11
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/merged

Looks like the OP had the same issue, so we can collect any fixes in one place. Good luck!
But mine's stuck on 30, not 0. And it has been over 12 hours so it can't just be humidity or heat keeping it stuck.

Ugh. I've no idea how fast I'm going now. Lol

Old September 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
But mine's stuck on 30, not 0. And it has been over 12 hours so it can't just be humidity or heat keeping it stuck.

Ugh. I've no idea how fast I'm going now. Lol
Wait until is sunny out and put some heat on the base of that needle using a magnifier to concentrate the rays.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 08:41 PM   #13
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Wait until is sunny out and put some heat on the base of that needle using a magnifier to concentrate the rays.
-_-

Now it's stuck at 20...something's making the needle sticky.

Old October 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM   #14
moonwalker
n00b4life

Ah, was sick and haven't been riding for a while.

The issue is intermittent in my case indeed, and it seems to be happening only on or after hot days, so I suspect that just like in Adaptive's case my bike also has the SSNS - Sticky Speedometer Needle Syndrome. I also found the same case on some other forum too, can't find the link in my history.

Old October 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM   #15
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker View Post
Ah, was sick and haven't been riding for a while.

The issue is intermittent in my case indeed, and it seems to be happening only on or after hot days, so I suspect that just like in Adaptive's case my bike also has the SSNS - Sticky Speedometer Needle Syndrome. I also found the same case on some other forum too, can't find the link in my history.
Yeah my needle seems to be sticky. On the highway, it'll creep up to 50 and stay there even though I know I'm doing..."slightly" more. Lol

Old October 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM   #16
moonwalker
n00b4life

Quote:
Yeah my needle seems to be sticky. On the highway, it'll creep up to 50 and stay there even though I know I'm doing..."slightly" more. Lol
Hm, that sounds a lot more serious than what I observe, if I were you I'd service/replace it immediately and wouldn't ride until it's fixed.

Old October 1st, 2013, 09:03 PM   #17
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker View Post
Hm, that sounds a lot more serious than what I observe, if I were you I'd service/replace it immediately and wouldn't ride until it's fixed.
Serious?

I mean, it's not like the bike's creeping up to 50, the needle is. I know I'm already doing 70 seconds after leaving the entrance ramp. Lol

Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:41 AM   #18
moonwalker
n00b4life

Quote:
Serious?

I mean, it's not like the bike's creeping up to 50, the needle is. I know I'm already doing 70 seconds after leaving the entrance ramp. Lol
Eh, I'd feel very uneasy not knowing my exact speed.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:16 AM   #19
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

I've driven on the highway so many times (big reason why I bought the 15T - EDIT: Which has yet to be installed) that I jut know I'm doing around 65 at 8-9K, 6th gear.

It's the local roads I get weary about.

Old May 15th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #20
headsmess
ninjette.org newbie

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): ninja250,nsr150sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
If the odometer works, the cable is fine. The speedo is driven by a magnet and sometimes the needle can get stuck. You may be able to disassemble and clean/lube if it happens again. I've done old auto clusters but never the 250.
howdy folks. sorry if im doing a zombie raising on this thread, but obviously i just got a ninja250(re-acquainting myself with kawasaki after i sold my gpz750 several years ago) and had this issue. speedo not working, where the odo does.

this is the only sensible post i have come across, so i thought i would chuck my 2 cents worth in.

the speedo needle is, indeed, a magnetic drive, just like every other mechanical speedo i have fiddled with. no physical connection to the cable or odo. it just uses lenz's law(induced eddy currents), and is held back by a spring to restrict its rotation.

the odo works, so yes, the cable is fine. sick of seeing posts about "check your cable".

very simple fix... dismantle panel, remove speedo from cluster. did i say simple? its a prick to get the fairings off the first time! one has to learn these things though

the needle is attached to an aluminium bowl looking thing, all you have to do is pour a few cc of kero or other solvent (do NOT use acetone! it eats ABS and i reckon the dial is ABS) in the bowl, and a squirt behind the needle itself, get any gunk out of the needle bearings!

isopropyl alcohol in a spray can is really good

a slight wriggle back and forth in the axis of the shaft, few half turns of the needle (dont overdo it or you damage the very fine hairspring which will stuff your calibration right up) and it should bounce off the zero stop, rather than be sluggish getting to 0.
and presto...when you stick a nail up the drive hole, give it a spin, the needle responds instantly.

rinse and repeat, but... do not use oil/grease!

graphite might be an option to lube it, but by using oil, it tends to gum up and make things stick...

hope it helps someone else. its the same basic problem with any speedo really.
headsmess is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 15th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #21
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That's a whale of a first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsmess View Post
howdy folks. sorry if im doing a zombie raising on this thread, but obviously i just got a ninja250(re-acquainting myself with kawasaki after i sold my gpz750 several years ago) and had this issue. speedo not working, where the odo does.

this is the only sensible post i have come across, so i thought i would chuck my 2 cents worth in.

the speedo needle is, indeed, a magnetic drive, just like every other mechanical speedo i have fiddled with. no physical connection to the cable or odo. it just uses lenz's law(induced eddy currents), and is held back by a spring to restrict its rotation.

the odo works, so yes, the cable is fine. sick of seeing posts about "check your cable".

very simple fix... dismantle panel, remove speedo from cluster. did i say simple? its a prick to get the fairings off the first time! one has to learn these things though

the needle is attached to an aluminium bowl looking thing, all you have to do is pour a few cc of kero or other solvent (do NOT use acetone! it eats ABS and i reckon the dial is ABS) in the bowl, and a squirt behind the needle itself, get any gunk out of the needle bearings!

isopropyl alcohol in a spray can is really good

a slight wriggle back and forth in the axis of the shaft, few half turns of the needle (dont overdo it or you damage the very fine hairspring which will stuff your calibration right up) and it should bounce off the zero stop, rather than be sluggish getting to 0.
and presto...when you stick a nail up the drive hole, give it a spin, the needle responds instantly.

rinse and repeat, but... do not use oil/grease!

graphite might be an option to lube it, but by using oil, it tends to gum up and make things stick...

hope it helps someone else. its the same basic problem with any speedo really.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.