ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 28th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Yannis
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Yannis

Motorcycle(s): EL250

1997 Kawasaki EL250D CVK30 Carburetor Help

G'day Blokes!

(Yes I did check the Jetting Database thread)

So I have disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt my CVK30 Carbs out of a '97 Eliminator (K&L Supply Rebuild Kit) due to it being dirty and having a stuck needle/overflow issue. Overflowing is fixed, however unfortunately I did not realize that each carb actually uses different sized main jets and jet needles.

As you've probably guessed by now, I failed to take note of which parts goes where. I couldn't find anything in the workshop or owners manuals so was hoping someone here might know?

I believe the jet sizes on my particular model are 85/87 and the needles are stamped with something like N53X. I would be interested to know the pilot screw settings as well, manual just specifies 1 + 3/4, however both mine were set to 2 + 1/2 when I pulled them apart.

Cheers!
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #2
teafour
Corner Chaser

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR1000, 1986 VFR750, 2004 Ninja 250

I don't know this bike in question but typically if you have jetting different on the various cylinders, the richer jet would be in the cooler cylinder. Looking at the pictures of the bike, it would seem the left side is more air constricted than the right so I would believe the larger jet would be on the right. Maybe someone more familiar will pipe in for us.

**edited after a major mistype of warmer to cooler... Thank you choneofakind for correcting me.

Last futzed with by teafour; December 28th, 2017 at 09:14 PM.
teafour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by teafour View Post
the richer jet would be in the warmer cylinder.
Sure you're not backwards? Warmer air is less dense.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Yannis
ninjette.org newbie

Okay that's interesting, so a bigger jet helps to keep that cylinder from running too hot. Well, the left side of the engine has the exhaust manifold running past it, so there's another clue that it might take the larger jet.

Old December 28th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #5
teafour
Corner Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Sure you're not backwards? Warmer air is less dense.
You are correct sir! I thought it one way and typed another, thank you for picking up on that!!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Yannis
ninjette.org newbie

Edit: Whoops okay so I pulled them out & the bigger jet was in the left cylinder, so I'll swap them over and see how she goes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (176.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (175.0 KB, 72 views)

Last futzed with by Yannis; December 31st, 2017 at 11:31 PM.

Old January 5th, 2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Yannis
ninjette.org newbie

So I swapped them over and put the larger jet in the right hand cylinder, which has resulted in the bike running terribly and it is difficult to start. It ran much better with the larger jet in left cylinder. Does this even make sense? I thought the main jets were only used while the throttle is wide open?

Old January 5th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #8
teafour
Corner Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannis View Post
So I swapped them over and put the larger jet in the right hand cylinder, which has resulted in the bike running terribly and it is difficult to start. It ran much better with the larger jet in left cylinder. Does this even make sense? I thought the main jets were only used while the throttle is wide open?
I would think that most likely you have more trash from the gas tank working loose and clogging up the carbs. I mean, you could swap them back but I'd put money that there's more rusty, dirt and grim getting in the jets passages. The main jet primarily feeds fuel as the throttle gets wide open however fuel is pulling through the jet with the needle in it at all times which richens everything or leans everything accordingly.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:48 AM   #9
CTarna
Ghost...

MOTM - Oct '17
@ducatiman ?
CTarna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2018, 04:28 PM   #10
Yannis
ninjette.org newbie

@teafour I see, good points. The tank is actually quite dirty despite rinsing it out several times with kerosene, I also replaced both in-tank filters and installed a cone shaped in-line filter hoping this would prevent any clogging of the carb, maybe the dirt is just too fine?

Any pro tips on cleaning the tank out real good? I feel like some kind of pump would probably help. Cheers for the replies

Old January 6th, 2018, 04:35 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Problem is no matter what rotation position you have tank, there's always points lower than exit hole.

I've use a vacuum with large aquarium hose attachment (yay duct tape).

Have also used garden hose on full-blast with shaking tank at same time.

Final drying can be done with acetone as it dissolves both polar and non-polar compounds.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2018, 06:06 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Diesel fuel and a handful of small nuts. Shake it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2018, 10:27 AM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Sintered metal filters are often too coarse to catch small particles. Pleated paper filters are a sure bet, but carry a spare, because if there's enough fine silty dirt, they can get clogged. There are some high quality sintered metal filters with micron ratings, but I can't give you a specific brand from memory.

I had a chunk of dirt get through a sintered metal filter on my DT100, and it was so big it stuck in the main jet.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2018, 10:30 AM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTarna View Post
His computer is frozen in solid ice at the moment.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2018, 12:54 PM   #15
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
G'day Blokes!

(Yes I did check the Jetting Database thread)

So I have disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt my CVK30 Carbs out of a '97 Eliminator (K&L Supply Rebuild Kit) due to it being dirty and having a stuck needle/overflow issue. Overflowing is fixed, however unfortunately I did not realize that each carb actually uses different sized main jets and jet needles.

As you've probably guessed by now, I failed to take note of which parts goes where. I couldn't find anything in the workshop or owners manuals so was hoping someone here might know?

I believe the jet sizes on my particular model are 85/87 and the needles are stamped with something like N53X. I would be interested to know the pilot screw settings as well, manual just specifies 1 + 3/4, however both mine were set to 2 + 1/2 when I pulled them apart.

Cheers!
somebody been in those carbs....different mains? needles? incorrect

stock airbox/exhaust?
try 95 mains, N53x needles 35 pilots with around 2 turns on the pilot screws...both carbs...
float height 17mm...fuel level +- 1mm measured at the bowl/body joint

spark plug CH8A Possibly a sticker under the seat with plug GAP and valve clearance specs?

this should get you in the ballpark AFTER you've gotten your tank/fuel issue in order

Finally set the pilot screws, engine warm, each cylinder for highest idle and best throttle response.

As yours is a non-US model, some further research would be advised. Factory supplied jetting specs for YOUR country should be printed in either the actual factory service manual, or factory supplement. They may differ slightly, but I'm real close, if not dead on.

Historically, larger main jets were, in fact, used on the inner 2 cylinders in some 4 cylinder applications. In your case..unless contrary, factory documentation states otherwise...my 95 suggestion in both (documented from earlier USA models using same carbs ) should get you there.

Regardless...I suggest you do your required research for YOUR country/model/year, to confirm or correct my stated info.

And right you are...nasty cold here.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2018, 05:26 PM   #16
Yannis
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah stock as a rock, I bought it from the original owner who used it for rider training. I've been calling around some Kawasaki service centres but they are usually pretty busy, one place did tell me that my particular year model bike (1997) did in fact come with staggered main jets from factory (88 & 85). The service manual I have does specify 95 however it is for the 250HS model while I have the last of the EL's - a 250D. They were made for a good 9 years from 1988 to 1997.

Anyway I will confirm the carb specs, flush the tank out good & post back my progress.

Thanks again for all the replies

Old January 7th, 2018, 05:48 PM   #17
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
From your original post..... "I couldn't find anything in the workshop or owners manuals"

^ Misleading...I thought you were referring to the actual, correct service manual for your bike which will confirm the factory *as supplied* sizes. Parts books will show *available optional* sizes.

If you don't have the correct service manual, perhaps the shop does? and can allow you a peek to put the issue to rest?

I'd not rely on someones memory or hearsay...could send you on a goose chase...much rather read the spec in print...undeniable.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2018, 09:47 PM   #18
Yannis
ninjette.org newbie

All done!

Turns out the larger main jet (88) and shorter jet needle (N25WK) belong to the left hand carburetor since that cylinder runs hotter.

Running sweet with both pilot screws at 1 + 1/2 turns out.

Local radiator shop told me it would be pointless to flush the tank unless I am going to Red Kote it. Ended up just installing an inline fuel filter (Walbro 125-930-1) which I bought from my local lawnmower shop.

Been having a blast riding around on this thing

Thanks to all for your input

Old January 29th, 2018, 11:04 PM   #19
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
A change in main jet affects your entire fuel distribution from about 1/4 throttle to full.

Bill