ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Name: Roman

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r (2009)

Snorkel Removal on EFI Ninja 250R?

I have a FI/EFI (Fuel Injection/Fuel Injected) Ninja 250r. I have a BlueFlame SlipOn exhaust, I haven't remapped the ECU or got a PowerCommander or anything like that.

Currently other than the SlipOn exhaust, everything is stock.

After installing the SlipOn, my bike backfires some times. It doesn't really bother me and in fact sounds great, but I'm not sure if that's great for the engine.

I'm thinking of getting a K&N air filter and removing the snorkel. Is this a good idea to reduce backfiring? - will it make the bike more susceptible to dirt/mud/water? (I ride in heavy rain quite often)

Has anyone with an EFI Ninja 250R and tried removing the snorkel? - care to share your experience?
hackeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

I can't speak for Kawasaki's FI version of the 250, but I recently installed a FI kit on mine and I'm running with a full Yoshi exhaust, no snorkel, and dual K&N filters and it runs great! You may need a power commander though depending on how much of a difference removing the snorkel makes to the air/fuel ratio if the Kawasaki EFI doesn't auto correct (unsure if it does).

As far as backfiring is concerned, I don't think you should have that problem with the fuel injected model, I only had that happen on occasion when I was running on carburetors and while I was still in the very early testing stages of my fuel injection installation. I can, however, adjust my mapping on my own since my fuel injection came with a program to do just that. This is largely what has allowed me to tweak my power curve. I believe (and if I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me) that backfiring is caused from being too rich and some of the fuel making through the engine and into the exhaust uncombusted, and I also believe that removing the snorkel increases the amount of air flow to the engine (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I bought mine without the snorkel so I have no experience with it) so I'd imagine removing the snorkel could fix your backfiring problem entirely. I'm not quite sure of any correlation between backfiring and being susceptible to the elements though. I'd imagine it makes no difference, I don't see why it would.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Have you removed the KLEEN air system off the bike? if you haven't, it will rid you of the popping noise. I want to say all bikes came with it from the factory, FI and carbed versions.

A aftermarket air filter and de-snorkeling will not make the bike stop popping.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Have you removed the KLEEN air system off the bike? if you haven't, it will rid you of the popping noise. I want to say all bikes came with it from the factory, FI and carbed versions.

Is popping the same thing as backfiring in this case though? When I think backfire, I think of the loud "BANG!" That happens at start ups, when I think popping I think of the small blue flames coming from the exhaust under deceleration (that's when I notice it on other bikes at least )

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:59 AM   #5
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
Is popping the same thing as backfiring in this case though? When I think backfire, I think of the loud "BANG!" That happens at start ups, when I think popping I think of the small blue flames coming from the exhaust under deceleration (that's when I notice it on other bikes at least )
The popping only happens during deceleration, normally when I'm at >6krpm and let go of the throttle entirely, it may pop some times. I thought that was backfiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post

I thought KLEEN was only on the US carburettor version and the FI version doesn't have KLEEN?

Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackeron View Post
The popping only happens during deceleration, normally when I'm at >6krpm and let go of the throttle entirely, it may pop some times. I thought that was backfiring?

I thought KLEEN was only on the US carburetor version and the FI version doesn't have KLEEN?
On the EFI bikes it is also referred to as the Air Switching Valve. I would not remove it as it may cause the ECU to throw a code.

To help reduce the occasional backfire, stop completely closing the throttle on decel. One reason you are hearing the backfire is because your are missing one less catalytic converter and thick baffle to help muffle the sound.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #7
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
On the EFI bikes it is also referred to as the Air Switching Valve. I would not remove it as it may cause the ECU to throw a code.

To help reduce the occasional backfire, stop completely closing the throttle on decel. One reason you are hearing the backfire is because your are missing one less catalytic converter and thick baffle to help muffle the sound.
It's not bad for the engine though, is it? - Would removing the snorkel help at all?

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:18 AM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

An occasional backfire on a carbed bike may not be bad but when they become consistent then it is a problem. On the FI bikes, a backfire may cause it to code or indicate an ECU problem.

Removing the snorkel adds a tiny bit more air to the system. Along with a power commander a small improvement in performance may be gained, but it may or may not be something measurable on the Ass Dyno.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM   #9
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Quote:
An occasional backfire on a carbed bike may not be bad but when they become consistent then it is a problem. On the FI bikes, a backfire may cause it to code or indicate an ECU problem.

Removing the snorkel adds a tiny bit more air to the system. Along with a power commander a small improvement in performance may be gained, but it may or may not be something measurable on the Ass Dyno.
Hmm, maybe it's not backfiring then, I hear loud popping if I rev the engine up in neutral or if I let go of the accelerator at maybe over 6krpm - actually sounds pretty good - FI light hasn't come on in the 6 months or so I've had this slip on.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:40 AM   #10
oreX
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636 - ABS

I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one that likes the popping noise. I think it sounds awesome with the two brothers exhaust.
oreX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreX View Post
I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one that likes the popping noise. I think it sounds awesome with the two brothers exhaust.
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound, just want to know I'm not hurting the engine

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:46 AM   #12
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreX View Post
I think it sounds awesome with the two brothers exhaust.
in small amounts, it can be fun. But ride it like that for a year as your commuter/daily driver, and that popping every single time you close the throttle completely will really get on your nerves.

Just like the volume level of your twobros can. It's fun for short times, but it's really annoying at night or when you wake up grumpy or you have a headache. Same idea.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackeron View Post
Hmm, maybe it's not backfiring then, I hear loud popping if I rev the engine up in neutral or if I let go of the accelerator at maybe over 6krpm - actually sounds pretty good - FI light hasn't come on in the 6 months or so I've had this slip on.
Snap, crackle and pop is not backfire. That can be heard on any vehicle without exhaust system to baffle it.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:28 AM   #14
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Snap, crackle and pop is not backfire. That can be heard on any vehicle without exhaust system to baffle it.
How would one tell the difference between backfire and popping sounds? - Would the popping be happening during acceleration with a backfire then?

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM   #15
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
This is a backfire, well technically it's an afterfire... Much louder than decel noises.

Link to original page on YouTube.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:41 AM   #16
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
This is a backfire, well technically it's an afterfire... Much louder than decel noises.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Oh god, it doesn't do that, lol

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM   #17
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Actually pretty hard to get a popping sound in neutral, only really hear it at higher speeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdFJTXGoBmo

Guess the Fuel Injection system really is magic, heh