ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 27th, 2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Blown Head Gasket: Worth Fixing?

So, like the title says, I blew a head gasket (steam out the back and everything). Bike has 33k on it and I called a local shop that said the best bet is probably buying a new bike. They could swap the engine but that would cost half of a decent newer ninjette alone, whereas I could just swap plastics in that case if I really wanted to. Their other option was a complete rebuild and that'd be like 2k, which is like $500 more than I paid for the bike 15k miles ago.

I don't exactly have new bike money right now and it's my only (previously) running vehicle until at least august 15th when I go drive my also old, high-mileage car 1500 miles back to austin.

What I do have is some time, hand tools, tenacity and an uncle who is a bike mechanic but also lives 1500 miles away. Is it worth trying to fix myself? I've done valves but this is a whole other animal. At this point I'm wondering what I have to lose other than time anyway.

Old July 27th, 2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
With tool available and an uncle for guidance, get a copy of the manual and change the gasket.

Do you know why it blew? Did it get low of coolant and overheat, for example?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2019, 12:53 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Blown head-gaskets are symptoms of problems. You'll want to determine why it failed and fix those problems first. Otherwise new head-gasket will also fail in short order. Typically problem are:

- too much ignition advance - not likely in this case since that's fixed mapping by ECU

- too little fuel (lean mixtures) - more likely if bike's been sitting around and you've got plastic varnish clogging your carbs

- overheating - failed radiator fan, low coolant levels, clogged thermostat, etc.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 27th, 2019 at 06:13 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Blown head-gaskets are symptoms of problems. You'll want to determine why it failed and fix those problems first. Otherwise new head-gasket will also fail in short order. Typically problem are:

- too much ignition advance - not likely in this case since that's fixed mapping my ECU

- too little fuel (lean mixtures) - more likely if bike's been sitting around and you've got plastic varnish clogging your carbs

- overheating - failed radiator fan, low coolant levels, clogged thermostat, etc.
It was probably the radiator fan or something similar. It's not horrendously low on coolant and started to run hot when in traffic (it being 100 degrees here doesn't help, either).

I've found an 05 locally with 6k on the odo for like $1500. I'm tempted to get that and swap the plastics (I custom painted my bike a while back)

Old July 27th, 2019, 04:41 PM   #5
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 1989 model and 1990 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
It was probably the radiator fan or something similar. It's not horrendously low on coolant and started to run hot when in traffic (it being 100 degrees here doesn't help, either).

I've found an 05 locally with 6k on the odo for like $1500. I'm tempted to get that and swap the plastics (I custom painted my bike a while back)
I would probably buy the one with 6k for $1500. Less stress and you are straight back on the road. Plus you will have a ‘spares bike’ that you can part out or use for spares your self!

Old July 27th, 2019, 08:17 PM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
There’s complete ‘08 parts-bike going for $50. Should at least hear engine running.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mpo/d/...943764760.html

2009 for $500
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mc...926187085.html

2007 for $700
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mc...923253082.html

A 1999 for $750. All engines on 1995+ are same.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...942474872.html

2006 for $1000, this looks best deal with least amount of work.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...938558362.html
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
There’s complete ‘08 parts-bike going for $50. Should at least hear engine running.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mpo/d/...943764760.html

2009 for $500
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mc...926187085.html

2007 for $700
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mc...923253082.html

A 1999 for $750. All engines on 1995+ are same.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...942474872.html

2006 for $1000, this looks best deal with least amount of work.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...938558362.html
I am guessing you missed the part where this is my only vehicle and I need something running more than I need a project. Dx

At least I know what's wrong with this bike. Who knows about the others.

Old July 28th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I am guessing you missed the part where this is my only vehicle and I need something running more than I need a project. Dx

At least I know what's wrong with this bike. Who knows about the others.
In that case, you need to buy something that runs now.

A project is fine, but not if it's your only transportation. The first thing to do if you decided to fix it yourself would be to start disassembly and figure out what you are dealing with. It could be more than just the gasket. Overheating and warping of the head will make the gasket leak.

We sold a complete engine in very good cond with 4000 mi for $200. Many times that's a better option, but you are still taking chances it will run well.

How much do you have to spend? You can also list your cycle for sale as a project if you don't want to deal with it - but you won't get much.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
In that case, you need to buy something that runs now.

A project is fine, but not if it's your only transportation. The first thing to do if you decided to fix it yourself would be to start disassembly and figure out what you are dealing with. It could be more than just the gasket. Overheating and warping of the head will make the gasket leak.

We sold a complete engine in very good cond with 4000 mi for $200. Many times that's a better option, but you are still taking chances it will run well.

How much do you have to spend? You can also list your cycle for sale as a project if you don't want to deal with it - but you won't get much.
I'm willing to spend ~$2000 on a newer bike (technically I could do payments on a brand new bike til november when work starts back up but I was hoping to save for a newer car, then).

Overheating is what I was worried about most. It was getting pretty hot (but not in the red) recently, and texas summer traffic certainly didn't help. Years and years ago in CA it overheated to the point of the engine cutting out but like I said, that was years ago. I had ridden it hundreds if not a thousand miles since then. I think the radiator fan was on the fritz, which cascaded this whole mess.

I'm extra wary of used parts right now. I spent $700 on putting in a junkyard rear diff on my van earlier this year and it ended up also being shot. I've got some money to work with, but not throw away.

I wouldn't mind taking my time with it to fix but like I said, these are my only wheels.

Old August 1st, 2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Daks
Jersey Devil

Checking out a replacement bike on Sunday! It's an 05 but only has 7k miles on it.
$1800 is a little more than I wanted to spend but if it's only got 7k miles and my current bike lasted 33k I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

Old August 1st, 2019, 05:28 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I think that's a little steep for an '05. Maybe you can get him down more like $1,400. My '05 was $1,100, but it had about 15,000 miles and some cosmetic problems.

Old August 1st, 2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I think that's a little steep for an '05. Maybe you can get him down more like $1,400. My '05 was $1,100, but it had about 15,000 miles and some cosmetic problems.
Everything else local is a POS and/or 15k+ miles and at least $1500. My other option was an 03 with 6k for $1600.

In CA I paid $1600 for my '06 that had 16k.

Idk maybe I've just lived in pricier areas?
Either way, I have work next week so I've hit that beggars vs. choosers moment.

Thanks for the advice, though. If I were less stubborn about getting the same bike as my old one I'm sure I'd be able to take advantage of other deals but I'm not ready to say goodbye to my trusty boy yet

Old August 7th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #13
Daks
Jersey Devil

Update: I had 2 bikes sold out from under me and one particularly infuriating day where I got a ride 2 hours away to look at a great bike that turned out to be an absolute POS he used old pictures in the ad for. "A small fuel leak" ended up meaning "steadily dripping fuel out the bottom of the carbs". Not to mention having twice the oil required in the engine.

He wanted 2k for it lmao.

Anyway that's how I ended up with a brand new honda rebel 500 today.
Loved my ninjette to bits and would have ridden it another 8 years and 30k happily but alas. I didn't fit on any of the newer 250s or 300s other than maybe the R3 which I was on tippy-toes for.

Perhaps one day I will return to the ninja fold. I do genuinely still love them. Thanks all for the advice and help.

And I guess if you're in austin keep a look out on CL if you want some custom painted plastics or other pre-gen parts ;P

Old August 12th, 2019, 07:56 AM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Not to mention having twice the oil required in the engine.
My guess is it had the correct amount of oil and an equal amount of gasoline in the crankcase. I hope you enjoy the new motorcycle!

Old March 24th, 2020, 03:31 AM   #15
Daks
Jersey Devil

Hey y'all, I ended up not selling the bike. My new bike got ****ing stolen and I'm out of work for a month so I figure, hey, what better time for a project bike fix? Dx

Anyhow, now I'm waffling between buying a whole used engine (and possibly from a 500, my moto-mechanic uncle says it's a fairly un-involved process as far as engine swaps go) and just trying to do the head myself.
Me and said uncle did the head gasket on my car last year (12 hours in the driveway!) so it's a lot less daunting.

But I'm weighing the cost and time efficiencies. With an engine this small, I should probably take the head in to make sure it's not warped, surely?
I can pay $500 for an ebay engine with far fewer miles but also...I'll be out of work for a month or more and I have more time than money right now.