ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1
solo440
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Which Shogun Frame Sliders?

So i have decided that the first thing i should buy for my 09 250R is frame sliders (after i buy my gear, of course.) I am fairly new to riding motorcycles so i figure if i do lay the bike over (which statistically is very likely), then i would like the bike to be protected. I decided to buy Shogun frame sliders, but i was wondering if there was a difference in the two kinds i am looking at. The first set is the one reccomended by many people and has a price of 149.00. Here is the link.
The second set are Shoguns also, but they are Shogun Carbon S5 sliders. Here is the link.
I don't konw which set to get, the first is $75 cheaper, but i like the look of the second set better. However, the second set has metal endcaps whic hi have heard react differently on a low side crash.

Any opinions, etc. would be helpful. Thanks!
solo440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #2
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Yeah I was trying to decide between those as well. In the end I just went with the cheaper ones. Depending on what kind of carbon fiber they used it may be more brittle than the polycarbonate they use on the cheaper ones, thus the carbon ones may do more harm in a fall. But I was unsure of what the materials are and no one really seems to want to spend the extra (and consequently I have seen no crash reports on them) so because of that I went with the tried and true normal sliders. They do look great though and I really wanted the s5 sliders

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #3
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

The carbon fiber is just an overlay. No one in their right mind would use CF for something that's supposed to take an impact. CF shatters like glass on impact. The metal end cap won't make any significant difference if the bike is dropped. If you drop it from a stand still, it'll be much uglier than if it was just the plain black pucks on the cheaper set.

Old July 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
solo440
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
The carbon fiber is just an overlay. No one in their right mind would use CF for something that's supposed to take an impact. CF shatters like glass on impact. The metal end cap won't make any significant difference if the bike is dropped. If you drop it from a stand still, it'll be much uglier than if it was just the plain black pucks on the cheaper set.
Very true. The end caps on the S5's are replaceable though. So if i did drop it and they got scratched up, i could replace them for like 25 bucks or something like that. Are the plain black pucks on the cheaper set replaceable?
solo440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Get the cheaper one. you don't want an ugly looking carbon thing hanging on your bike when/if you drop it. also the cheaper one's proven and tested (;
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo440 View Post
Very true. The end caps on the S5's are replaceable though. So if i did drop it and they got scratched up, i could replace them for like 25 bucks or something like that. Are the plain black pucks on the cheaper set replaceable?
I would assume they are, but I'm not for sure. If cost is not important to you, get whichever one you want. IMO, I prefer frame sliders to be discrete.

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #7
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
The carbon fiber is just an overlay. .
Yeah I couldn't tell, but I felt it was an overlay. I thought it was not very smart to use only carbon on there (which was my first thought upon seeing them) so I was a bit miffed as to what the construction was. The end caps are replaceable with different colors.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #8
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I'm pretty sure it will be an overlay similar to the ones I had on my 954RR. I happen to appreciate the look of carbon on bikes but the color scheme on this bike made it irresistible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0229.jpg (72.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0223.jpg (103.9 KB, 7 views)

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote