ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Closed Thread

Old August 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I'll say what some might be thinking...The Ninja 250 is not for freeways.

Why?

(glad you asked)

It's power output (torque) is too weak to accelerate out of trouble or achieve freeway speeds on a steep grade.

It's suspension and tire profile is subpar. Has a "floaty" feeling and inspires no confidence or planted, riding on rails feeling.

It's lightweight reduces traction. Think gravel, dust, sand, leaves and slip'n'slide.

It's throttle needs a double twist to get WOT. Very hazardous.

The carb fuel delivery loves cutting out fuel at the most inopportune time. Like in turns.

I still respect and admire the little Ninja 250. It is the best bike for beginners and seasoned riders alike. Many of the negative attributes listed above can be viewed as opportunities to learn and become comfortable on a less than stable platform.

The above mentioned points are also great areas where performance improvements and DIY's can elevate your understanding of bikes. It has for me.

Also, on highways and in turns, the Ninja is a blast and has to be one of the best bikes to ride in the twisties.

End of rant.

Flame suit...ON.

Commence with your offence.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

The only point I'll argue is the steep grade part - at 180ish geared up with back pack and sport bags on the bike, I was pulling up a very steep incline locally at 80 mph, and had room to accelerate past anyone in the right lane.

That is all - commence flaming

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #3
conchwanab
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

I take the freeway everyday and I've noticed that a heavier bike with bigger tires would give a better ride.You definately feel a little floaty at times on the 250,and windy days just plain suck on the rides to or from work on the freeways but I too still love this bike!!

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
MtnCruiser
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2 2004 Ninja 250 and 2008 VTX 1300

I don't seem to have the problems that you are describing but I seldom spend a lot of time on he interstate. It's just a matter of having the right tool for the job, the Ninja works perfectly for my purpose. If I was spending all of my time on the interstate I'd be riding a Wing.

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Name: chess

Motorcycle(s): Red...the sexiest color.

I commute 30 miles every day (20+ highway), and I don't feel the same issues.

If my speed limit were 75, I might feel differently, but it's 60, and I'm usually between 60 and 70. I wish it got the mileage my virago does, but it's still a fun ride with plenty of pep.

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I do a 1000Mi round trip every couple of months from Coastal Maine to Central New York. I take secondary roads and enjoy the trip. No problem doing 65 to 70 --faster if needed. If I wanted to do Interstates, I would ride a Wing or Bimmer. Interstates are boring and are OK for cages. I like to stop and smell the roses. At my age (68) I am not in a hurry.

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #7
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Socal freeways, I have had no problems, (except for them being so rough) but I can't compare it to another bike because this one is my first. Never rode it in the mountains so steep grades I can't comment on. As for the WOT double twist, I either never noticed or never needed to get to WOT.

nb

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #8
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Interstates are boring and are OK for cages. I like to stop and smell the roses. At my age (68) I am not in a hurry.
Well said Alex!!! I thoroughly agree with you. It's all about the ride and not the checkered flag.

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #9
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

Agreed with OP. One of the trips I often do in my car is about a 300KM ride on a *very* hilly highway (~1.5KM difference between the lowest and highest point, with most of the change coming in two distinct sections). So far I've done it once on the ninjette, and it was less than inspiring. I took a slower route in one direction, and it was glorious on the bike, but adds an extra ~200KM onto the trip.

Edit: when on the 'highway' section, I found that I had to be WOT almost all the time in order to stay with the speed of traffic. This didn't leave any room for passing. People were going about 20-30KM over the speed limit too...

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I've only had my bike a week and a half, but I did 425 miles last Saturday, including about 150 on limited-access highways at realistic (65-70 mph) freeway speeds. I also passed and was passed by a few semis... albeit not the intense volume of trucking traffic we get here in the I-95 corridor, but I did have real experience riding next to large trucks.

During this ride I also dealt with steep grades of 8 to 9 percent (not estimated... known because they were posted on road signs) on some two-lane roads.

It was not windy.

I did not experience any of the shortcomings mentioned above. Comparing it to the performance of a typical small car, it was more than adequate. I never felt I needed more power than I had. (Comparing it to the performance of a bigger bike is pointless.)

I am admittedly new to the bike and do not know it intimately as yet, but so far my impressions are all positive...including its abilities on the highway.

Now, if I were the kind of guy who simply MUST be going as fast or faster than anyone around me, then I might feel differently. But I'm not. I'm quite happy to ride within 10 mph of the speed limit.

FWIW, I weigh 180 or so and had no luggage.

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #11
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

It's a 250. If you need to pound a lot of concrete slab, it is the wrong tool for the job.

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #12
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

you don't get a Geo Metro and complain about speed. That being said I go on the freeways and usually I can get to 80-90 (indicated) easily. if I lower my head the wind isn't too bad either. A full tuck eliminates almost all wind but you look like an idiot and its not very comfortable. LA highways are always packed so I can only go past the speed limit like half the time. At least lane splitting is legal here

No my Geo Metro example is not very accurate because a 250r is considered a "learners" bike but at the end of the day I will upgrade for better freeway riding (among other things).

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #13
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
Why?

(glad you asked)

It's power output (torque) is too weak to accelerate out of trouble or achieve freeway speeds on a steep grade.

It's suspension and tire profile is subpar. Has a "floaty" feeling and inspires no confidence or planted, riding on rails feeling.

It's lightweight reduces traction. Think gravel, dust, sand, leaves and slip'n'slide.

It's throttle needs a double twist to get WOT. Very hazardous.

The carb fuel delivery loves cutting out fuel at the most inopportune time. Like in turns.

I still respect and admire the little Ninja 250. It is the best bike for beginners and seasoned riders alike. Many of the negative attributes listed above can be viewed as opportunities to learn and become comfortable on a less than stable platform.

The above mentioned points are also great areas where performance improvements and DIY's can elevate your understanding of bikes. It has for me.

Also, on highways and in turns, the Ninja is a blast and has to be one of the best bikes to ride in the twisties.

End of rant.

Flame suit...ON.

Commence with your offence.
Won't be any from me,this is why i traded up.
But this is a 250 Forum,so i haven't been
Everyone ride your own ride.

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #14
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Like others I am still new to my bike but the few 100km+ sections of highway I have taken were comfy and stable. I'm about 210lb plus gear and about 15lb of backpack. It could use a little more oomph but feels planted and takes hills find IMO.

I'm going to a bike show with some demo rides and I'll see if I feel different after tying some 600 / 800cc bikes.

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
It's a 250. If you need to pound a lot of concrete slab, it is the wrong tool for the job.
One of the points I was making is to "know your tool." (hmmm...that sounds kind of...dirty)

That means, know its idiosyncrasies. And, it means using its idiosyncrasies as a method of learning.

Today, I was being tailgated by a woman in a white car who was all over me like a cheap suit. I was WOT and at maximum speed possible. All I could do was waive my arm signaling to have her back off a bit. Since I'm in Los Angeles, I had to take a risk getting Tupac'd doing so, but I thought it was worth it.

Let me tell you, a little extra juice would have allowed me to get out of the way and let her be on her way.

This was not a pleasant experience. I'm going to avoid the freeways.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
Like others I am still new to my bike but the few 100km+ sections of highway I have taken were comfy and stable. I'm about 210lb plus gear and about 15lb of backpack. It could use a little more oomph but feels planted and takes hills find IMO.

I'm going to a bike show with some demo rides and I'll see if I feel different after tying some 600 / 800cc bikes.
Be sure to post your thoughts on the bigger bikes here.

I "learned to ride" (the wrong way) on a CBR600F2 years ago. It wasn't until I got my Ninja 250 where I truly learned to ride. But, I'll tell you this, a bigger bike feels much more solid, all around and I look forward to picking up a bigger bike in the near future.

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #17
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I dont get the floaty feeling but the power could be a problem. On Oahu max speed is 55 with most people traveling 60-65ish leaving me a good 15-20 MPH to work with. As far as floaty IDK I mean 600cc bike are only 20-40 lbs more which is not that big of a difference. I know like most other people, eventually I will get a more powerful bike but for right now everything is on par

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #18
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
One of the points I was making is to "know your tool." (hmmm...that sounds kind of...dirty)

That means, know its idiosyncrasies. And, it means using its idiosyncrasies as a method of learning.

Today, I was being tailgated by a woman in a white car who was all over me like a cheap suit. I was WOT and at maximum speed possible. All I could do was waive my arm signaling to have her back off a bit. Since I'm in Los Angeles, I had to take a risk getting Tupac'd doing so, but I thought it was worth it.

Let me tell you, a little extra juice would have allowed me to get out of the way and let her be on her way.

This was not a pleasant experience. I'm going to avoid the freeways.
u were WOT, so that means you were going at least 100 MPH and somebody was all over you like a cheap suit?? where u from Cali, isnt the speed limit there like 55??? So because u were being tailed by a woman, from the fast and the furious, the 250 is no longer capable of handling the freeway???
I had a 250 for a while and I didnt have any problem with freeway travel, I traded up to go faster, and thats what I do..The 250 is more than capable of handling the freeway...would I tour with it??? absolutely not, but for commuting its fine...

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
u were WOT, so that means you were going at least 100 MPH
At least 100mph at WOT? From what I understand top speed is around 100mph.

You probably have the special edition Green Ninja.

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #20
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Not only that but the suspension components on the 2-fiddy aren't that great... got to keep the costs down somehow.

I miss flicking the bike around towns and when maneuvering in tight spaces but the ZX636 feels ridiculously more planted, composed and supple over rough patches/bumps than the 250R. Higher quality components FTW.

The 250R's suspension does not handle the bumps and rough patches very well at high speeds on the freeway.

The place where I commute to school and still frequent to visit my girlfriend is really hilly and has an "unofficial" speed limit of 75-85mph at least... on the uphill portions, my old 250 literally felt like it was about to explode while all tehse clunkers were blowing past me.

Futhermore, I also do not miss being tossed around like scrap paper in the wind at the slightest cross-breeze or from trucks zooming by me. Not all bad though, it did give me lots of practice keeping my arms loose and staying composed while being blown all over the freeway.

The ninjette is fantastic but it does have its shortcomings.. no shame in admitting it.

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #21
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
u were WOT, so that means you were going at least 100 MPH and somebody was all over you like a cheap suit?? where u from Cali, isnt the speed limit there like 55??? So because u were being tailed by a woman, from the fast and the furious, the 250 is no longer capable of handling the freeway???
I had a 250 for a while and I didnt have any problem with freeway travel, I traded up to go faster, and thats what I do..The 250 is more than capable of handling the freeway...would I tour with it??? absolutely not, but for commuting its fine...
Haha, naw man.. I've wailed on it pretty hard a few times and I swear I wasn't going more than 80-85 mph.. don't trust the speedo

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #22
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

I been WOT on the 250 more than a few times, I'm talkin top speed, and I was going faster than any 1 else on the freeway, speedo says 110...Probably more like 100 -105, but that's pleanty fast if your justr looking for a commuting bike, and are conservative.....

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #23
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

You probably have the special edition Green Ninja.
The green one's are slower than the rest I think...

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #24
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I been WOT on the 250 more than a few times, I'm talkin top speed, and I was going faster than any 1 else on the freeway, speedo says 110...Probably more like 100 -105, but that's pleanty fast if your justr looking for a commuting bike, and are conservative.....
Yeah, but that's more than likely under perfect conditions.

Try doing that going uphill against a headwind... and yeah, maybe you'll still get to 100mph.. but when? Eventually?

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #25
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

I get blown around by the wind on the 750 too...any of the lighter sport bikes will have trouble with wind...My point is the 250 is fully capable of handling todays roadways and traffic, not sure about if u live in a mountainous region, but here in the concrete jungle, it works just fine..

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #26
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I get blown around by the wind on the 750 too...any of the lighter sport bikes will have trouble with wind...My point is the 250 is fully capable of handling todays roadways and traffic, not sure about if u live in a mountainous region, but here in the concrete jungle, it works just fine..
There are few bikes available to us Americans that are better for the new rider than the Ninja 250.

Like muffinman wrote, there's nothing wrong about admitting its shortcomings.

My premise is that the Ninja 250 is not really cut out for the freeway. Can you ride the freeway on a Ninja 250? Uh...of course.

Should you ride a Ninja 250 on the freeway? Proceed with caution...

I don't believe that my information is false or misguided. It is based on my experience only. Perhaps your experience is different.

The throttle is the key to controlling the bike's dynamics. At the same time, the Ninja throttle is more like a toggle.

Toggle? Yes, like an off/on switch. The power output is such that you really have to go WOT to get the bike moving or increase speed.

Now, don't get me wrong, my little Ninja has a lot of pep. It's a firecracker on crack. But, I think that an extra 20 horsepower would perfect the package.

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #27
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I'll be the first to admit I'm still a bit on the new side and the 250 is my first bike. I'm ~140lbs and find the 250's got plenty of 'go' for me. That said, I'm all over altering it for every in/lb of torque I can get. Would/will I trade it in for something bigger? Most likely not; don't see the point in having a speedo that'll go to 200 unless I take up track-racing.

Poor torque on a grade: tried downshifting? I've driven manuals my whole life and if you're in top gear going uphill, you've got the wrong idea. I live and ride all over the appalachians, not as beefy as the rockies or sierra nevadas, but we've got our share of hilly terrain on freeways out here.

2 twists to WOT: helps keep me out of jail for excessive speeding when I don't mean to

Subpar suspension: Excellent way to learn how to use your legs (and build muscle) as suspension like they were telling me in the MSF. Wouldn't know about 'par' though (see above). Not to mention Kawasaki tightened up the suspension for the '08+ models.

I'll agree with the carbs cutting fuel if you go below ~5% throttle; that's just annoying.

I agree it's a great learning opportunity, but disagree on the strength of many points.

But as had been said, to each their own ride and I'm set on enjoying mine.

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #28
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

Now, don't get me wrong, my little Ninja has a lot of pep. It's a firecracker on crack. But, I think that an extra 20 horsepower would perfect the package.
I agree that's why I sold mine and bought a bigger 1.....They got the perfect bike for you already made, and they dont have to redesign the ninja 250 again.....It's a 650, suzuki and kawasaki both make them.....

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #29
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Well the way I see it is I bought a bobmb ass bike (thanks sound wave) that is a sound bike that gets 50% better gas milage than a civic hybrid while blowing past it. Not only that but insurance for me is almost 10X less than my cager insurance. I am sure trading up will happen eventually but for right now I sleep very well knowing that I made the right decision for me.

Old August 13th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #30
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

This bike does have no balls on the freeway but it feels fine on the freeways. I can hit 80-90 mph pretty quickly and that's pretty much all I really need on the freeways cause thats one great thing about this bike, its MPG. Speed limit is 65 in California so going 80mph is just right for this bike. It is really difficult to get this bike over 95mph so in some short insane manor, you can't go to jail for breaking 100 cause you never really will unless you got 3 miles of clear road. Passing cars....gotta do some serious depth perception judgment cause this bikes takes so much time to gain speed when you're already doing 70...

My biggest complaint is the suspension because it is soft and non-adjustable however i'm not sure what roads you travel but I just did a 80 mile run on 101, 880 and 280. its nothing I would consider horrible actually its great cause it feels floaty, hit a dip in the road and it just floats. good stuff imo

I always go WOT on this bike. It's the ONLY way to gain some speed and I grab the throttle and twist with my index, middle and thumb to go WOT. Its not scary to do so and the first few times I did it, it was really amusing how slow this bike is.

learn on a 600 then jump back to a 250. you'll appreciate it more than you will know.

Old August 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #31
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
people drive pretty fast in LA. 65 is the speed limit but people usually do 70-75 in the slow lane. He should really be only in the last two lanes if he is doing 80ish. A friend of mine says that depending on the time of day people are doing 90-100mph and that is typical except during traffic hours. so for him, he should avoid the first two lanes during non-rush hours.

Old August 13th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #32
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecandy View Post
This bike does have no balls on the freeway but it feels fine on the freeways. I can hit 80-90 mph pretty quickly and that's pretty much all I really need on the freeways cause thats one great thing about this bike, its MPG. Speed limit is 65 in California so going 80mph is just right for this bike. It is really difficult to get this bike over 95mph so in some short insane manor, you can't go to jail for breaking 100 cause you never really will unless you got 3 miles of clear road. Passing cars....gotta do some serious depth perception judgment cause this bikes takes so much time to gain speed when you're already doing 70...

My biggest complaint is the suspension because it is soft and non-adjustable however i'm not sure what roads you travel but I just did a 80 mile run on 101, 880 and 280. its nothing I would consider horrible actually its great cause it feels floaty, hit a dip in the road and it just floats. good stuff imo

I always go WOT on this bike. It's the ONLY way to gain some speed and I grab the throttle and twist with my index, middle and thumb to go WOT. Its not scary to do so and the first few times I did it, it was really amusing how slow this bike is.

learn on a 600 then jump back to a 250. you'll appreciate it more than you will know.
I rode the new-gen 250R which had different, MUCH firmer suspension than your 2002. May just be my experience but when I rode highways on my new-gen 250R larger bumps and joints jolted me... the suspension did not "soak" up road imperfections very well.

When I went over the same bumps/joints on my ZX6R, I could feel them but the suspension absorbed most of the shock to the point that the imperfections were barely perceptible. The bike remained planted throughout.

Also, there's a difference between soft, mushy suspension vs. firm yet COMPLIANT.

I heard the older gens had better high-end oomph vs the new gen, so that may explain some of the discrepancies in opinion?

Old August 13th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #33
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I have ridding my brothers 250 across Dallas traffic - 75, 635, and 35E. There are some of the worst highways in the area and I never felt in danger because of the bike. At times it did feel like I was ringing her neck a bit to pass in 70 mph areas but did so easily enough. The constant thrashing and sky high rpm vibrations were more of a concern.

Now that being said - everything muffinman said about his 636, I agree with my 6R. It just has a more planted, capable, and compliant feel about itself. And its nothing to do with power. It doesn't mean the 250 is any less of a fantastic little bike for the money.

Old August 13th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #34
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Totally agree. I am 205lbs with gear and 6'2 tall and going into a full tuck on the freeway is way way unconfortable and not really safe.

I always found the suspension is the main problem more so than the lack of ooomph. I totally avoid the freeway with the 250 - just waiting till I pick up a 600.

Old August 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #35
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Freeways (400 series highways) haven't been much of a problem up here. The average speed people drive is 120km/hr (75mph) while the top speed people can drive, without risking losing their license, is 140km/hr (85mph). I've felt comfortable driving in either situation.

What makes it different down there?

Old August 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #36
azia
ninjette.org member

Name: Lindsay

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

The bf and I have two upped on the 250 on highway. Combined we weight over 400lbs. Not a problem at all. Someone going WAY over the speed limit, tailing you, etc. doesn't mean YOU need a faster bike. Only think you should be doing is ride defensively.

Here in Ontario, Canada you go 150kms and the popo catches you? Roadside vehicle and license seizure. I doubt they'd take the excuse that you were only going faster to get away from the fast car. Lol.

Old August 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #37
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I've ridden on the interstate with a full tuck going WOT around 100mph indicated and felt just fine. This is only for about 30 minutes at a time and maybe once a month, however.

Now, if I had to do that every day for over an hour, I might think about an SV650. Thankfully, my commute is mosly on city streets around 55mph.

Old August 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #38
kkim

meh, no wonder I love my 250 so much... no freeways here. sucks to be you guys.

Old August 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #39
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
I rode the new-gen 250R which had different, MUCH firmer suspension than your 2002. May just be my experience but when I rode highways on my new-gen 250R larger bumps and joints jolted me... the suspension did not "soak" up road imperfections very well.

When I went over the same bumps/joints on my ZX6R, I could feel them but the suspension absorbed most of the shock to the point that the imperfections were barely perceptible. The bike remained planted throughout.

Also, there's a difference between soft, mushy suspension vs. firm yet COMPLIANT.

I heard the older gens had better high-end oomph vs the new gen, so that may explain some of the discrepancies in opinion?

if your zx6r has full adjustable suspension like my f4i does then it depends on how the suspension is adjusted for that commute i did. I had it on the softest settings on the f4i then tweaked it based off a few recommendations for my weight now i feel every bump in the road although I can definitely turn in faster. Does the bike feel more solid than a ninja? hell yes it does. why? probably because of the valving involved in the f4i and the spring rated for my weight. I believe the ninja 250 was weighted for a 110lb rider.

Having a bike that is firm and compliant is only ideal on the track. adjusting for rider error and road feel is necessary for the bike to be stable at turns and straights. suspension should be adjusted for road conditions that present itself and understanding why you should adjust it and how to adjust it is a taboo area for most people. ideally, we can't have one setting for track, road, dry or wet. we really need to adjust based on where we commute and what roads we are on and how fast we want our bike to react. Feeling for bumps, floaty feeling, mushy, firmness is all subjective.

the discrepancy isn't really the oomph but more of the twist of throttle. I went riding with a few newer riders yesterday and going WOT in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear is pretty fun, 4th gear tops out at about 80 mph at 14k rpms. One of the guys said, "I thought i was going fast till you past me going 20mph faster." this was on an uphill and he probably weighs 50lbs less than i do.
my point is a lot of new riders are learning and have not understood what 0-60mph in 2 seconds means to them. 0-60 mph in 6 seconds is slow for a bike but really fast for a new rider.

Old August 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #40
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecandy View Post
Does the bike feel more solid than a ninja? hell yes it does. why? probably because of the valving involved in the f4i and the spring rated for my weight. I believe the ninja 250 was weighted for a 110lb rider.

Having a bike that is firm and compliant is only ideal on the track.
The main reasons why the Ninja's suspension is terrible is due to the weak frame (especially on the pre-gens..it has been stiffened on the 08+), sprung to unsprung ratio (a heavier bike like a 600 with roughly the same weight wheels will have inherently better suspension if dampeners are the same), cheap suspension components and tiny tire patches (footprint).

All these forces conspire to create a floaty, bouncy and, ultimately, unpredictable platform.

Remember, predictability is the ultimate goal in suspension settings. The biggest drawback with the Ninja is that the suspension is..........unpredictable.

Unpredictable women can sometimes be charming. Unpredictable suspension is not very charming.

Closed Thread