Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Question tires starting to square off??

Hey everyone,
I did a search but couldnt find anything on this i dont know if i didnt have the right keywords or not or if this topic hasnt come up yet so heres my issue...
I have been doing alot of straight riding theres not too many twisties up here and there are no canyons ...I have the stock IRC on right one becuz they are basically brand new so i wasnt going to change them out right away...I noticed it looks like they are starting to square off it seems ...Im just wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent this from happening in anyway, other than getting new tires or finding twistier roads lol...Also could this potentially be dangerious when i do come across the few random nice turns and i lean the bike

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Hey everyone,
I did a search but couldnt find anything on this i dont know if i didnt have the right keywords or not or if this topic hasnt come up yet so heres my issue...
I have been doing alot of straight riding theres not too many twisties up here and there are no canyons ...I have the stock IRC on right one becuz they are basically brand new so i wasnt going to change them out right away...I noticed it looks like they are starting to square off it seems ...Im just wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent this from happening in anyway, other than getting new tires or finding twistier roads lol...Also could this potentially be dangerious when i do come across the few random nice turns and i lean the bike
One thing you can do is in your spare time, go to an empty parking lot and go in clockwise circles and then in counter-clockwise circles until the tires even out.

Good luck
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #3
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I guess by doing that ^^^ you can also practice your lean angles?

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I guess by doing that ^^^ you can also practice your lean angles?
Kill two birds with one stone

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #5
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
Kill two birds with one stone
Maybe get a knee down. But that goes with lean angles, I think. So, 2.5 birds with one stone?

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Maybe get a knee down. But that goes with lean angles, I think. So, 2.5 birds with one stone?
One of the birds was chopped in half????

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
We riders can do it all. Specifically our front tires.

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If a bike is mainly used for commuting, it's going to happen. Making sure that you keep proper air pressure in the tires will maximize their life, but other than that there's not much you can do.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #9
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

How many miles have you done to square off the stock tires? They are some rock hard SOB's
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Ive found that the stock IRCs will start to square off in the rear at about 3600 miles, and be completely squared off by 5000, with no center tread left at 6500. The front wont square off, it will start to triangle at around 6000 miles, needing replacement at around 9000 miles.

Of course milage may vary depending on road surface, speed, throttle, and if you are running straights or twisties.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

My bike has nearly 9500 miles on my stock irc's. the rear tire is definitely squared off, 99% of the po's miles were highway so it was already pretty square when I got it. The front looks completely fine to me. If I replace the rear, I'll replace the front and I'm already considering my tire options. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to rid your squared tire if your still riding in straight lines. I ride twisties all the time and my tires still squared off.

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #12
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintalmighty View Post
How many miles have you done to square off the stock tires? They are some rock hard SOB's
I have about 7000kms or like 4350 miles on them and the road conditions have been alright for the most part. It is mainly the rear tire that is worn and i dont mean there is a crazy edge on them just the rear tire seems like its getting flat spot all along in the middle... The parking lot idea is a good one and i will need to try that out for sure. As for dragging my knee right now i dont think thats an option with my lack of knee protection, and lets NOT get onto the AGATT debate im pretty sure there are enough of those. I do wear all the gear i have everytime i ride and all im missing is pants and boots. I was also wondering if this could be potentially hazardous when i do get into the twisties having this flat spot??

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Then don't try to get a knee down

Old July 30th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Although it may be fun, trying to round out the tires by doing circles is a mute point. It's a lot of circles (about 1500 miles worth each side).
If your tires are squared off and the wear indicator is showing , just get some new ones. You'll be better off in the long run. If you do mostly commuting, make sure when you upgrade tires to get a tire that is better for touring or all around use and not racing. They will last longer. I got about 10,000 miles out of my stock IRCs
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #15
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Although it may be fun, trying to round out the tires by doing circles is a mute point. It's a lot of circles (about 1500 miles worth each side).
If your tires are squared off and the wear indicator is showing , just get some new ones. You'll be better off in the long run. If you do mostly commuting, make sure when you upgrade tires to get a tire that is better for touring or all around use and not racing. They will last longer. I got about 10,000 miles out of my stock IRCs
This.....is a good point haha.

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #16
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Thats a lot of circles lol, The wear indicator is not showing and the rear tires seems like it has a lot of life still in it, its at roughly 9mm i dont have a depth gauge but i have other methods of getting a general idea. I checked my pressure and its ~34 rear and ~30 front and there is no visual damage ( no cupping or cracks anywhere) so this is my reasoning for not getting new rubber. Can anybody answer if this is dangerious when i do get to actually lean the bike??

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #17
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Can anybody answer if this is dangerious when i do get to actually lean the bike??
There maybe some that attest to the fact that the IRCs do good as far as leaning and the grip is fine. From my experience with the IRCs, is that there is too much rubber missing from the sides of the tire to make it truly as good as others with more rubber on the outside of the tire. For normal everyday riding and occasional lean, they are not dangerous, you should be fine. Hitting up the twisties or the track....well that's a judgment call.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #18
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Wink

I watched Keith Code's, A Twist Of the Wrist II DVD the other day and they refer to the square tyres as "chicken wings" I guess your straight roads are a good excuse for your chicken wings though :P not that you need one: ride how you like...

you wuss

kidding!!

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #19
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I watched Keith Code's, A Twist Of the Wrist II DVD the other day and they refer to the square tyres as "chicken wings" I guess your straight roads are a good excuse for your chicken wings though :P not that you need one: ride how you like...

you wuss

kidding!!

I would love to have some roads like GMR or anything even close to that... it has a lot to do with where i live and the simple fact that there are no twsities routes. I usually come across maybe 2 or 3 turns back to back at the most and nothing even close to the videos ive seen of GMR...so what am i supposed to do just keep turning around and hitting the same 2 turns over and over again lol... I dont think so, but i do purposely go out of my way to get them into my rides

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #20
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I would love to have some roads like GMR or anything even close to that... it has a lot to do with where i live and the simple fact that there are no twsities routes. I usually come across maybe 2 or 3 turns back to back at the most and nothing even close to the videos ive seen of GMR...so what am i supposed to do just keep turning around and hitting the same 2 turns over and over again lol... I dont think so, but i do purposely go out of my way to get them into my rides
lol, it's ok. You don't have to make excuses, for me especially. I've only ever ridden a motorcycle 3 times I'm still learning.

Well... enjoy those 2 turns!

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you could swerve a lot on the highway... </sarcasm>

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #22
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I think someone mentioned that a squared off tire may or may not feel wierd during those occasional leans, like it's slipping but in reality it's not.

My IRC tires have about 4500miles on them and the rear has definitely squared off a little. With that said, I've still been taking it on some twisties here and there and they feel fine. Granted I dont do the knee down thing nor do I go fast enough that there is a need to really dip down to make it. I'm a cruiser in a sportbike shell essentially. I like to think in my head i'm speeding around a corner because of the high RPMs but not actually go faster than say a porsche would take them. I'm a sissy what can I say but I still have fun and that's all that matters. =)
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #23
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I still have fun and that's all that matters
Good attitude