Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 7th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Weirdness after complete servicing?

So yesterday I inspected my valves, changed oil, changed coolant, cleaned the air filter and synced the carbs. So when I synced the carbs I used a small remote gas reservoir so I could freely adjust the carbs without the gas tank in the way. The carb sync was damn near perfect to start but I turned the screw a few degs to make it absolutely perfect. During the time I was running the bike on the remote tank the bike was running great with perfect throttle response.

So then I install the tank and all the bodywork and go to start the bike and it doesn't want to start. So I try the choke(I never use the choke) and it doesn't do anything. Then I try giving it 10% throttle while starting and it fires up but barely idles at 500 rmps. I was able to rev it out to 7k by WOT but then it would just stall.

At this point it sound like I have a vacuum leak somewhere so I pull off the left side fairing and inspect all the hoses but find no problems. I try popping the gas cap and starting it but still the same. I close the gas cap and try one last time and suddenly it holds an idle but the throttle response sucks. So I hop on it the ride it a bit a d it seems to rev fine at WOT but stutters at mid throttle while cruising at 6k RPMs, it also hesitates really bad between shifts when you go to give the throttle again.

It seemed to be improving a little with the couple mins I rode it so I decided to ride it a bit more and see if it cleared up. After a couple easy 0-60mph runs it seemed to be fine so I did one hard 0-60 and it did 6.2 just fine with a non racing start. So whatever it was seems to be gone but I'm not sure why.

Maybe air in the fuel system because I removed the carb to gas tank fuel line when I hooked up the remote tank so when I reinstalled the tank it didn't refill the line completely at first.

Any thoughts on this?
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Take it to a mechanic who knows what they're doing

Jk jk, firing on one cylinder? Spark Plugs?
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Rassie
Motorcycle bon vivant...

Name: Rassie

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja, 250R Ninja, SV650S, CB350, GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R

Probably some dirt that got into one of the vacuum lines or the fuel supply..

NESBA 13, 300 Ninja, 250r Ninja, 06 SV650, Ninja ex250, CB350, CL90 ,GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R www.mybikeproject.com
Rassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

do you have stock air box? before i ditched mine, every now and then when I touched the carbs the bike would do the same. I traced it to the wire harness running under the air box and pulling on the cdi, after reseating the wires in the socket and rerouting the wire harness, no more problems.

also another thought, you check the tiny little filter that sits in the carb fuel inlet?
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'd suggest maybe some water got sucked into the carb or something, but you probably have one of those fancy carb sync tools lol. What do you use for a gas resevoir? I really need something better than a leaky water bottle....
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I'd suggest maybe some water got sucked into the carb or something, but you probably have one of those fancy carb sync tools lol. What do you use for a gas resevoir? I really need something better than a leaky water bottle....
How about a non leaky water bottle

Rode the bike to work and it ran perfect like any other day. I think I got air into the carb system and it was starving for fuel till I went WOT and suctioned it out.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Your garage looks proper now. There are bikes in it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #8
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Definitely Gremlins!