Old July 9th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow Danger!

"Aren't motorcycles dangerous?
I don't think that we have a broad enough vision of what is dangerous. There is more danger than just the danger of physical injury. People who think motorcycles are "dangerous," meaning unacceptably so, often do not understand this. Broadly, the danger I am talking about is the danger of living an unengaging, fear-constricted, emotionally impoverished life. We must face up to a confusing fact about the human condition; we are not happy when we get everything we want, and we become weaker when we do not have to try. Ultimately, this will amount to physical danger anyway, as well as spiritual danger.
Motorcycles are pretty special. To ride a motorcycle is to face mortality. You really could die, just like that. But that is the optimal condition of our beings. Acceptance of the possibility of death now, and development of the ability to face it and manage it without denying it or wimping out and yelling for mommy to make it go away, is as important to the soul as good nutrition is to the body. It is also the foundation for all courage, which is clearly in short supply, and which I am coming to believe is the root cause of all corruption and most violence.
Can you see there is danger caused as well by not doing dangerous things like motorcycling? Yes, we might die; we all do, you know. But until then, we are alive, paying life the respect and sacrifice it deserves, and cultivating our ability to live it well."

Read full article here:
http://www.manicsalamander.com/artic...l/danger!.aspx
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #2
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I try to consciencesly avoid thinking or talking about the danger factor but it is there. I do a lot of things that people would consider dangerous. I don't really consider the risk factor per se. In all honesty I'm very calculated and conservative. @rojoracing53 knows that about me all too well. As soon as I "scare" or remind myself that, "yes, hauling ass in the canyons means I can eject into a tree at any moment," I have a mental block for a bit and it instantly goes away. I'll openly admit that I have an evil smirk on the inside when I think about some of the things I've done on two wheels. It makes for almost unbelievable stories and adventures that the average person won't ever experience. That's cool for me. Live a little.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
It's weird how I only truly think of the danger when I am not riding, even when I watch cars do incredibly stupid things around me that may or may not put me at risk or I have the back end slide a little on a wet road I feel no fear only bliss. deep down I know that if I ended up in the hospital because of a crash I would spend my time wanting to be back on a bike, and if I died so be it since it must happen regardless

the odd thing though is how this mentality is spreading into other areas of my life. I find myself talking more and more risks since the mentality of "f*** it I could die at any time why should I delay my life now" is ever present.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Great post and good words to live by; a life without risk and struggle toward a goal isn't really living at all.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #5
notsofast
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Great article, thanks!

Quote:
It is also the foundation for all courage, which is clearly in short supply, and which I am coming to believe is the root cause of all corruption and most violence.
This is important. It takes courage to behave in a way that does not always benefit yourself. You'll know it when you see it, those who act too tough to be soft, empathetic, or helpful to others are the true cowards.

Quote:
Can you see there is danger caused as well by not doing dangerous things like motorcycling? Yes, we might die; we all do, you know. But until then, we are alive, paying life the respect and sacrifice it deserves, and cultivating our ability to live it well.
It seems morbid...but it extremely important to accept death. To constantly fight against it is to live in fear. At the end of your life, you will realize you have spent all of your time, money, and energy trying not to die, and will have never truly lived.
-That is probably mildly plagiarized, I cannot remember where I heard or read it but that idea has always stuck with me.
notsofast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Cyclecam fears for his life every time he joins me for a two wheel adventure wether it be street, dirt or pedal. I offer the same life fulfillment adventures to anyone dumb enough to strap on a helmet and carry full medical coverage
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I think this is a bit pointless. It isnt just motorcycles. Try telling some one that drives a car it could kill them...they will shrug and brush you off. For that matter try it with, planes, boats, jet skies, snow boards, atvs, fatty foods, drugs, sky diving or the running of the bulls. We all put ourselves at risk when we feel it worth the risks and if anyone disagrees with your choices the first thing they point out is the risk.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I think this is a bit pointless.
I agree with your analysis completely.

Endeavoring to reach the "self-actualization" level of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is something every human being is free to attempt and is probably a good thing to do, a healthy pursuit for the individual psyche, but...

having to listen to somebody characterize whatever activity happens to be their personal favorite flavor of risky behavior as heroic and life-affirming is almost always boring and banal.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I offer the same life fulfillment adventures to anyone dumb enough to strap on a helmet and carry full medical coverage
Dude, I need to go MTB with you.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Obsidia
Quantum Creatrix

Name: Ziva

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
I think this is a bit pointless. It isnt just motorcycles. Try telling some one that drives a car it could kill them...they will shrug and brush you off. For that matter try it with, planes, boats, jet skies, snow boards, atvs, fatty foods, drugs, sky diving or the running of the bulls. We all put ourselves at risk when we feel it worth the risks and if anyone disagrees with your choices the first thing they point out is the risk.
To be honest, every day you wake up and get out of bed, you run the risk of dying or being injured. Life is there to live it to the fullest, some of us ride motorcycles, some of us skydive, some engage in other risky behaviors (at least to others perspectives) but at the end of the day, each day that we have come to a close is one day that we don't spend in regret :-) Just live and try to be reasonably safe with whatever you're trying to do and have fun with it. I don't worry about if I'm going to have my clock punched, I just enjoy life and hope that I can leave a positive impact on someone during my time here however long or short that may be.

Just my 2cp

Obsidia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #11
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Sort of a side point, but a lot time 'dangerous' just means anything with any risk that the average person doesn't do.
The number of deaths in bathtubs from drowning is huge, but no one thinks of them as dangerous since everyone uses/has one. Similarly, the chances of dying in a plane crash are less than those of dying in a car, but people freak out over flying but think nothing of driving. Why? Because people drive cars everyday, flying for most is unusual.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #12
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidia View Post
To be honest, every day you wake up and get out of bed, you run the risk of dying or being injured. Life is there to live it to the fullest, some of us ride motorcycles, some of us skydive, some engage in other risky behaviors (at least to others perspectives) but at the end of the day, each day that we have come to a close is one day that we don't spend in regret :-) Just live and try to be reasonably safe with whatever you're trying to do and have fun with it. I don't worry about if I'm going to have my clock punched, I just enjoy life and hope that I can leave a positive impact on someone during my time here however long or short that may be.

Just my 2cp

+1

I have a friend that hates i ride a bike and kept telling me how dangerous it is. When I finally asked her why she told me about another friend she had that died while riding so she will never get on one. I responded, I'm sorry to hear that but you drive a car right? I've had a friend die in a car wreck, so what's your point?
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #13
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
The number of deaths in bathtubs from drowning is huge, but no one thinks of them as dangerous since everyone uses/has one.
I disagree. I always shower with one eye open just in case. Just. In. Case.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.