ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old January 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #1
tyusha
ninjette.org member

Name: Viktor

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

My August Bike Trip

Hello! I am new here and was invited over here by kkim. I am loving this forum so far.

I decided to tell you guys and gals about the ride i took this past summer at the end of August. I was planning this trip all summer long. I rode from Newton MA to Durham North Carolina and back. It was a BLAST!!!
When discussing my trip with my friend David (he was the friend i was visiting in Durham) he suggested that i avoid route 95 at all costs. So we created a map that went through Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway/Skyline Drive. On the way there i was supposed to stay overnight in Roanoke VA. Which would mean that i would complete the major part of my trip in one day. Ambitious plan to say the least.
Before the trip i acquired Garmin Zumo 550 GPS and Scala Rider FM bluetooth headset for my helmet. I also purchased Nelson-Rigg Saddle bags and tail bag. All of the equipment worked flawlessly, and made my trip trouble free and very enjoyable.

Chapter1 - long but very entertaining. At least for me.

I left Newton MA on August 21 at 7:30 in the morning, hoping to make it to Roanoke VA by the everning.

However by the time i approached the beginning of blue ridge mountain parkway/skyline drive it was 6:15 and sun was getting ready to set. i decided to risk it and go through with it.
And it was beautiful!!! Until it got dark. And there I was in the middle of nowhere. My bike as the only source of light and more that 40 miles of just the skyline/blue ridge left. That and then highway to Roanoke.
I panicked a little. I had to go no faster than 30/35 mph and even slower than that at times, as countless dear and raccoons crossed my path. I was getting tired and had to stop a couple of times to rest and calm myself down. at one of the stops i got to experience a beautiful view - pitch dark mountains, sky full of stars (no light pollution there) and shimmering lights of some small town underneath.
At that point i went into my GPS and looked for the nearest motel. It was 25 miles away and i would have to "climb down" for the night. But i had no choice. So i ended up staying at Days Inn in Waynesboro VA.
Bed has never looked so good in my life. i was sore all over and could not feel my legs or my arms. But i was happy!
Next morning i woke up and continued trough blue ridge/skyline drive. i altered the route in the GPS to avoid Roanoke and go straight to Durham. This ride was trouble/surprise free and i was safe at David's house by 12:30 that afternoon. that was awesome!!!

Pics:

Chapter2 - reasonably short and with a lesson to be learned!

I left David's house on Tuesday August 26 around 8:30 in the morning. it was raining slightly so i had to zip the rain gear lining in my pants and jacket, as well as rain guards on my luggage. As i made my way north though it cleared up (as expected) and it was smooth sailing weather wise until the end of the trip. David suggested once again that i should avoid route 95 at all costs. Which i did. We "cooked up" a new route for me to follow back home, this time avoiding blue ridge/skyline drive, and sticking to highway. To avoid 95 through DC and most of VA i had to do the following: i followed 95 until Richmond VA, where i jumped on route 64 and went west until intersection with route 81 which i followed 'till Route 84 that took me trough New York and Connecticut until Mass Turnpike (route 90). My plan was to stay overnight somewhere in PA. I was making very decent time cruising at 75 - 80 miles per hour (speed based on GPS). When i got to PA it was still fairly early and bright out, so i decided what the heck, i will try to make it in one shot. BIG mistake. I overestimated myself. I did make it home by 10:30 (that's right 14.5 hour ride in one day on a little ninja 250 is possible despite what the naysayers tell us) but i was dead tired and partially lost feeling in one of my hands, and even though it went back to normal in a couple of days it was still unnecessary. Most people that heard about my 14.5 hour ride told me that i was nuts for doing that, and i agree with them. I think i will avoid such long rides in one day from now on.

MOAR Pics

That concludes my story and i hope you guys enjoyed it despite its length.

Once again awesome forum and i am glad to be a part of it!
tyusha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Great thread! Congrats on the ride...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #3
tyusha
ninjette.org member

thanks Alex!

Old January 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Ananda
Bliss

Name: Keryna

Motorcycle(s): Own: 2001 SV650S Sold: 2007 Ninja 250

awesome! i've heard good things about the zumo. is that the one that comes with a motorcycle mount and is waterproof?
Ananda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup, the Zumo rocks. We've got a GPS weenies thread going on right here with some decent information about the Zumo 550 and other moto-GPS's.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #6
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

You went right past me on your trip! Thanks for posting about it
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #7
tyusha
ninjette.org member

thanks for the comments guys. I love my zum0 550 and all it's features. It definately kept me outta trouble

Old January 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #8
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Wow!! 14.5 hours!! You got me beat! And you passed me too! MD (I would avoid 95 at all costs myself!)

Old January 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #9
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

That's an incredible ride. Such beautiful scenery up in those mountains. I'm glad you got to enjoy it. Thank you for sharing.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #10
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

lmao you have the same exact luggage set up that I just bought, minus the tail bag.. Creeeeppyy. Very cool trip and pictures.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #11
tyusha
ninjette.org member

once again thanks guys that was an awesome experience. I recommend the skyline drive/blue ridge mountain parkway. it's beautiful

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM   #12
Blue Monkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Cool ride. I don't think I would be able to walk after a 14.5 hour ride. That would be a fun ride in a group. You are a trooper. Thanks for all the pictures.

Last futzed with by Blue Monkey; February 24th, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Blue Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM   #13
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

welcome blue monkey!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #14
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

nice, gj with that endurance run! i remember after a straight 80 mile run on the pch, all parts of my body ached from the shoulders down. props
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #15
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Name: Alvin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX6R, previous bike owned 08 Ninja 250R Blue

That is so cool! One day I'd like to take a long trip like that.
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #16
tyusha
ninjette.org member

you definately should take a trip like that. it'll change your life