ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk GT

Now I have to change my Handle!!

What does that mean? well trying to live up to the name "Terrorizer" in this day and age is fairly politically incorrect I suppose, but the reason for it has more to do with my " Ex -Exhaust" than my personality. I "had" a Yoshimura 2-1 (1994) vintage exhaust system on and I took that thing off and replaced it with a stock one I bought on ebay for $28 bucks. Once again it seems is also a politically incorrect thing to do in this day and age of " extreme exhaust modifications" that I read about daily. I purchased the Bike 2 years ago this way with the Yoshi exhaust and while I love riding it, the noise is making me mental.. I just couldn't take it any more so I did this...Crazy eh? So maybe my new hobby is De-Modification! what a Concept! taking a modified bike and De-Modifying it! holy crap!

Don't get me wrong, I did get pirelli tires because that just makes sense and I love those tires and thats a modification that can save your butt. But this obnoxious exhaust noise isn't for me.

So after getting a couple of missing gaskets and installing it, I fired it up last saturday morning (nice day in Boston 60 degree) and it started and idled perfectly. the first amazing thing was how quiet it is! wow... what a difference. ( I think the main jet is stock anyway blah blah)

I took a nice 70 mile or so loop around my favorite suburban curvy roads ( I was flying at some parts, riding faster than usual actually) and had a gas! could hear the wind and not just the exhaust all the time. ( Yoshi slows me down because of sound?)

I'm going to take alot of heat about this aren't I?

So the verdict is, I like the stock sound, goes nice with the high rpm factor of the 250, calms it down a bit. The combination of the high rev of the bike Plus old yoshimura 2-1 with can is unbearable at times, hey just me!..

btw, no large performance difference , maybe better mid range acceleration slightly, but the bike pulled fine with the stock setup. I liked it.

Ok folks, Ready, Aim Fire...

Old November 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
Ok folks, Ready, Aim Fire...

Nah, you're good.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Oh don't worry, you won't get flamed for it. You are doing what we all suggest, making it a better ride for YOU!! You can't be faulted for that especially if it makes you happier to ride.

I have the same Yoshi setup on my 1994 ninjette and know EXACTLY what you mean by the noise. I wear earplugs EVERY TIME I ride with no exception. I will be looking into the Area P quiet core version once my finances are settled (aka, find a blasted job). I love the 2-1 setup, but agree that the Yoshi is just a bit too loud. Also since they no longer make the Yoshi 2-1 pipe (visited their official site and it was no longer available) it's hard to know what can will and will not work for it to try and quiet it down. Plus I just like how Area P does extensive testing and cares about the ninjette.

Glad you are finding your happy place with your ninjette.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #4
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
You are talking about why I've been hesitant to change my exhaust. I love it when people don't hear my coming, in the mountains... I just wish I could find the performance benefits without having to make the bike louder...

Alex, that's a sick rifle. What, a .308, .338?

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
Alex, that's a sick rifle. What, a .308, .338?
It's the answer when you do Google image search on "ready aim fire". Beyond that, you're on your own.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote