ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Notices

Old February 4th, 2019, 10:34 PM   #1
coffee_brake
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Concours 1000, Triumph Trident 900, Bandit 1200, Ninja 300

Stolen and Recovered

The '19 Superbowl was certainly not worth this mess. I had a designated driver to drive me home from the Superbowl party so I didn't take the bike out on Sunday night and it was stolen (and almost immediately crashed) after the would-be thief cut the ignition wires and tried to splice them, but dropped the bike on BOTH SIDES trying to get it into a truck near my house. Both fairings damaged and evidence of a hard drop on both sides, but no evidence the bike was made to run so I assume the thief didn't know how to do the resistor in line to make the bike start.

I've never had anything stolen, never made an insurance claim on a bike or vehicle in my entire licensed driving life of 30 years. I have no idea what to do here.
I'm assuming the bike will be totaled because the fairings/fairing stays are all broken and the handlebars and forks tweaked, and the even the exhaust is rattling.

I'm a bike mechanic on one of my jobs so I'm not scared to replace fairings and do up the wiring, just never dealt with insurance before. Nor do I have any way of knowing how long these punks kept spinning the starter motor trying for a spark that never happened.
I really like the bike, I would like to get it back from insurance cheap and do it back up myself. Yes it will be incredibly pink and sparkly because I never had any pink bike or gear of mine stolen.

Advice? Ideas? I've locked the front wheel to the wall for now in hopes this is enough deterrent for thieves.
coffee_brake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2019, 04:38 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Jenn,

Sorry to hear about your bike. Wait until all the insurance stuff has settled before doing anything. Their buyback offer will tell the tail from here.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2019, 08:41 AM   #3
coffee_brake
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks, it looks like things are moving right along with them.

Old February 5th, 2019, 11:08 AM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Sucks to get stuff stolen. My friend just had his truck stolen. I'm glad yours was recovered and I hope you can get it back and back into shape.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2019, 02:48 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Welcome to Ninjette!

sorry to hear about your bike. My brother got me this lock: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ock-with-alarm

Whenever bike's not running, I use it. When I go to S.F., even in private parking garage, I use it. Bike thieves are lowest form of scum!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I wouldn't worry too much about how long the starter was spinning. I suspect the battery would run down well before any trouble arose.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2019, 10:42 AM   #7
coffee_brake
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks, you're right Triple, the battery was in good shape.

The insurance rep saw the bike today and says they'll total the bike and if the buyback is low I'll keep it.
The rep said I could go ahead and get it running to see if the engine was OK. The wires were cut so close to the ignition switch that I had to solder on extensions, and then just twisted them back to the harness. After disconnecting the battery of course.
It runs fine, started right up, everything works except the turn signals and tail light. I rode it all over the neighborhood with no problem.

I have two wires still hanging from the harness side that don't have a match on the ignition switch side. One is blue, other is orange with green stripe. I'm sure these are the tail light and signals but I don't know where to hook them up. I can't find any more wire stubs left on the ignition switch.

I need a wiring diagram. I don't see that Clymer's makes a manual for this bike (I like paper manuals and prefer Clymers). Are any of the download manuals any good?

Does the fan circuit run through the ignition at all? I'd like to make sure the fan runs since there's no temp gauge.

I'll re-paint the bike and repair the cracked fairings, actually practicing doing graphics dips now, and was intending to dip the Ninja when I have enough skill. Will it be less desirable if it's pink? Or butterflies? I'd prefer unicorns but I can't find any hydrographics with that yet. Laugh if you want. I'm 45, wrench my own and dammit I like sparkly bikes. Seriously, would a thief rather not mess with a hot pink glitter-flake bike?

Lots of questions, especially about getting my hands on a wiring diagram. Thanks for your patience.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:44 AM   #8
coffee_brake
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Welcome to Ninjette!

sorry to hear about your bike. My brother got me this lock: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ock-with-alarm

Whenever bike's not running, I use it. When I go to S.F., even in private parking garage, I use it. Bike thieves are lowest form of scum!!!
I've got a cable lock on it now and I work at a Cycle Gear, so I can pick up an alarm lock to take with me. You can bet I will from now on!

Old February 6th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
There was a comment on an article about scooters for women in ... Pakistan maybe? They were all pink so the men wouldn't steal them. So you may be onto something by making it sparkly and pink.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2019, 12:01 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
ahhaha,,.... in S.F. pink might make it even more attractive!!!

Check out this thread for wiring-diagram: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=330116

BLUE
at ignition-switch becomes RED/BLUE on harness for brake-light.

ORANGE/GREEN at ignition-switch becomes GREEN/WHITE on harness then ORANGE/GREEN again after fuse-box and goes to turn-signal relay.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2019, 07:53 AM   #11
coffee_brake
ninjette.org newbie

Danno, mine's the 300. This diagram for the 250 is still useful especially since so much of the ignition switch is alike, but how different is the 300?

I'm willing to get a manual, I just would like to know what kind y'all use. I don't get a lot from the Kawasaki shop manuals, but I don't see that Clymers makes one.
If I must buy a download-type or CD manual, what have y'all found useful?

Old May 2nd, 2019, 06:56 PM   #12
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2015 zx10r, 2010 Ducati 848

Jenn,

Just saw your post and I'm sorry to hear. I'm heading to Charleston on Saturday and will be there for the week on vacation. I'm doing up my wife's bike, but I do have the stock slip on I could bring down with me and you're welcome to it for free if it helps your rebuild at all
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2019, 11:26 PM   #13
coffee_brake
ninjette.org newbie

Alex thank you so much but I got a good exhaust on now.
If y'all get bored, look me up, we can hit up a good local brew it ride!

Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:54 AM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I like sparkles bikes an pink bikes too; I’m too lazy to steal though ��

Hope it all turns out for the best

Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:24 AM   #15
coffee_brake
ninjette.org newbie

I'm a huge My Little Pony fan...hmmm...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 30th, 2019, 08:20 PM   #16
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Oh that's my favorite! Ive always adored "Vulcanized Rubber" pony!

Anyways back on topic.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote