ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:56 AM   #121
Fraja
ninjette.org member

Name: Fraja

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

oops... got post 76.
Fraja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:53 PM   #122
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I'm finally getting around to trying some protons in the near future. After reading thru this thread at least 4-5 times and spending the last 30min looking at the wiring diagram for the bike I'm gonna try and condense the 120+ posts into a one-stop concept photo for diode use in this project. I tried to use all the appropriate color schemes for the stock wiring (green or grey for + lines, blk/yellow for ground). Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

There seems to be two methods of using the diodes mentioned in this thread, varying by where you want to do the splicing and how many diodes you wanna use. By splicing in just behind the dash you use 2 diodes total or one per signal by splicing in at the new signal lamps.

note1: in the first method (randomwalk101/novak2k9), you could potentially swap the green/grey wires coming out of the dash indicator lamp so green goes to ground and grey goes to the diodes.
note2: the first method has been confirmed by at least two forum members, I don't know if anyone has used the second (mike_hts) method
wiring - V2.JPG

Last futzed with by Momaru; January 2nd, 2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: method confirmation status
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM   #123
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Awesome, thanks Momaru!

Now I don't know why the Proton people claim you don't need to do this.... perhaps they didn't REALLY test it on our bikes.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM   #124
Momaru

I think I remember reading that our signalling control system is considerably simpler than that of many bikes. Our single turn-signal indicator light electrically bridges the left and right sides of the bike since it's only one light. In a system that had separate blinker indicators for left/right, I don't think it'd be a problem. That and I bet they designed the lights/advertising materials from the standpoint of this being the first light mod in an otherwise stock bike.

I agree that perhaps they need to revise the advertising materials a bit. But hey, at least we've got a community of people to put our collective heads together, figure this stuff out and make it a non-issue

Old January 20th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #125
Momaru

Ok, finally got my protons in but I've got a question for those of you that have already done it. They say for one to connect the red wire to the running light input and either/both the orange and yellow wires to the blinker signal. Since we've only got a blinker signal do I hook up both red + orange/yellow to the power input? I suppose I could find a switched supply to feed the running light (red wire), but not 100% sure I wanna do that atm.

I'd just go plug it in to figure it out m'self but it's raining pretty hard at the moment and looks to continue for a few days. Wanting to go ahead and solder the extensions onto my proton cabling so I can just slap 'em in when my connectors arrive.

Thanks!

Edit: Figured it out and did a DIY to help others:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36477

Last futzed with by Momaru; February 8th, 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: DIY link
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #126
omarcarbomb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Omar

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250ER

Girlfriend wants to strangle proton flush mount guys!

I should be ready to, cause I just spent my entire easter sunday messing with this. Put the protons on 08 250r and like most others on here, the rear turn signals didn't flash. Tried the resistor fix - no good. Tried the diode fix - no good. Yeah i stripped a lot of wires and burned a lot of solder for easter.

In the end the fix I came up wich is free and everyone should have the parts....

I took the bulbs out of the OEM front turn signals. I soldered 18 guage wire to the two terminals (tip and side) and we (she helped) wrapped the bulb and attached wires in electrical tape.

If you are going to say its going to get hot and be a problem. We tested for that before we gobbed it up with tape and stuffed a potential fire ball up under the front of her new baby. we ran the turn signal for 30 minutes and the bulb was cool enough to touch.

NOTE: The flash speed in this fix is a little fast, but she found it acceptable.

HOW TO:

hook up the proton and the old bulb in parallel.
For those not circuit inclined - That means:

Plug each of the ends of the old bulb into one of the two signals running to the proton.
omarcarbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #127
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Ultra!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '09, SV650s '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarcarbomb View Post
I should be ready to, cause I just spent my entire easter sunday messing with this. Put the protons on 08 250r and like most others on here, the rear turn signals didn't flash. Tried the resistor fix - no good. Tried the diode fix - no good. Yeah i stripped a lot of wires and burned a lot of solder for easter.

In the end the fix I came up wich is free and everyone should have the parts....

I took the bulbs out of the OEM front turn signals. I soldered 18 guage wire to the two terminals (tip and side) and we (she helped) wrapped the bulb and attached wires in electrical tape.

If you are going to say its going to get hot and be a problem. We tested for that before we gobbed it up with tape and stuffed a potential fire ball up under the front of her new baby. we ran the turn signal for 30 minutes and the bulb was cool enough to touch.

NOTE: The flash speed in this fix is a little fast, but she found it acceptable.

HOW TO:

hook up the proton and the old bulb in parallel.
For those not circuit inclined - That means:

Plug each of the ends of the old bulb into one of the two signals running to the proton.
Just in case you didn't know, if the only modification you performed concerning LED's were the proton turn signals (still using OEM rear turn-signals & OEM taillight) then all you required was an LED flash relay (2 prong) which you can pick up at any Auto store (i.e. Autozone) for around $10.

The diode fix resolves issues when using 4 (or more) LED's on your bike, such as usng the proton turn signals as well as the bikemonkey integrated LED tail light. (of course LED flash relay is still required)

for all I know, that may help someone else, though it has already been repeated many times
UltrA_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #128
omarcarbomb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Omar

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250ER

Good of you to clarify that

I wasn't clear till after I gave up and just put the bulbs.
Not everyone wants to go to the store and get a flasher and find it on their bike and replace it.

Reason that I decided not to......
Nobody on here has a specific spec for the flasher.

Last thing I needed was to waste more time going to stores buying/returning flashers.

When the way I hacked it was free and guaranteed.
omarcarbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #129
c717905
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250, 2009 Black ZX-6r

I do think that if someone would post a pick of the specific 2-prong LED flash relay tha tis mentioned above, that might clarify some things and make people's lives easier.

My other question is this: all told, how long does this install actually take and how complicated is it if you are only doing the front signals?

It seems pretty simple if you are installing the front proton signals and keeping the stock rear signals, but it does seem a bit more complicated and involved if you are doing the BikeMonkey or other LED rear lights as well. Is this an accurate statement?

Old April 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #130
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c717905 View Post
I do think that if someone would post a pick of the specific 2-prong LED flash relay tha tis mentioned above, that might clarify some things and make people's lives easier.
There's a number of pictures of various relays that work on other threads relating to replacing turn signals, be thry the integrated rear, etc. I'll try to swing by Advance tonight and get a pic of the one I got that works for me with its packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c717905 View Post
My other question is this: all told, how long does this install actually take and how complicated is it if you are only doing the front signals?

It seems pretty simple if you are installing the front proton signals and keeping the stock rear signals, but it does seem a bit more complicated and involved if you are doing the BikeMonkey or other LED rear lights as well. Is this an accurate statement?
I linked the DIY I made on post #125 of this thread for the protons; that's about as complex as it gets just doing the front signals. If you're good with a soldering iron (or choose to use crimp-butt connectors) and don't care about hacking up your stock wiring I suspect you could complete in 30mins, not including removing the necessary fairing bits. The way I did it took about 2 hours, again not including fairing removal, but I can switch back to stock blinkers up front in 10min.

Old April 30th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #131
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Has anyone tried to mount Front Turn signals from a 07,08,09 ZX-6R onto a 08-10 250R?
I really like the ZX-6R's front turn signals!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:13 PM   #132
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
I really like the ZX-6R's front turn signals!
Me to
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #133
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Proton Flush Mounts

Today I got my Proton Flush Mounts mounted together with the Tail Light from CustomLED and I would like to share my experience with you.
After uninstalling all standard Turn Signals and installing the LED Flush Mount Turn Signals and the Tail Light with the Turn Signals inside we tested if they would indicate with the standard Flasher Relay and they did. The only thing was that they'd indicate alternately, but the speed was normal.
So we'd install the IC Relay and now they indicate both at the same time with normal speed. No resistors or diode necessary.
For sure this combination isn't the cheapest but I think it is the best. The old people in Germany say, if you buy cheap you pay double.

Have a nice day and keep the good times rolling.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote