ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #81
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@smackenz I would be hesitant to cut into my headlight harness...

as long as you put a relay in the system that is energized by something that is run through the ignition, you'll be fine
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #82
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
@smackenz I would be hesitant to cut into my headlight harness...

as long as you put a relay in the system that is energized by something that is run through the ignition, you'll be fine
so how would u suggest to wire it up?
smackenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #83
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I would just put a relay in so that when the ignition is on, the magnet in the relay is activated, and the circuit for the LED's have power. Then you can add a switch on your own so that you have on/off control as long as the key is turned. as for what circuit to splice into, I would use the license plate light or gauge lights or something like that. When I wired my turn signals into DRL's, I used the power for my license plate light, since I removed my fender and was using the brake light to light my plate anyways

The headlight needs a lot of power, that's the only reason I would be hesitant to cut into the headlight harness. Plus headlight harnesses are expensive.

Old January 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #84
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Brake light... Seriously.... Unless you dont trust your wiring skills its a great place to get power from

I use the brake light for my radar detector power

Old July 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #85
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

does any one have a link to the ebay seller you got your led bars from? i cant seem to find them.

EDIT: found em, quick question

im sure this has been asked a few times before, what kind of fuse would i need to use to wire these? im sure i need to go Power->fuse->switch->lights right? i just finished wiring a little switch with a alarm light that blinks and i was thinking the only extra thing i would need to do is add some sort of fuse box in the mix. so does any one know a good link to what i need?

pre thanks!

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM   #86
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
does any one have a link to the ebay seller you got your led bars from? i cant seem to find them.

EDIT: found em, quick question

im sure this has been asked a few times before, what kind of fuse would i need to use to wire these? im sure i need to go Power->fuse->switch->lights right? i just finished wiring a little switch with a alarm light that blinks and i was thinking the only extra thing i would need to do is add some sort of fuse box in the mix. so does any one know a good link to what i need?

pre thanks!
any fuse is fine, just a simple one from radio shack, 5amp or 10amp

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM   #87
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Brake light... Seriously.... Unless you dont trust your wiring skills its a great place to get power from

I use the brake light for my radar detector power
Great idea... but what happens when your radar detector cord wears thru and shorts? The brake light fuse will pop and leave you with no brake lights. I'm not saying it's a bad thing... just realize that if your radar detector isn't working, you need to use hand signals for the cagers behind you.

I used my headlight b/c if I pop the fuse, I can still run the highbeam to get home.

YMMV

On a similar note, my wife's Gen Coupe has pushbutton start and the brake switch failed leaving her with no way to start the car (ie press brake and click the start button). Well, if you hold the start button in for 10 seconds, it'll turn the starter for you anyway. But this left her without any brake lights for the duration of her trip to the dealer.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #88
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Great idea... but what happens when your radar detector cord wears thru and shorts? The brake light fuse will pop and leave you with no brake lights. I'm not saying it's a bad thing... just realize that if your radar detector isn't working, you need to use hand signals for the cagers behind you.

I used my headlight b/c if I pop the fuse, I can still run the highbeam to get home.

YMMV

On a similar note, my wife's Gen Coupe has pushbutton start and the brake switch failed leaving her with no way to start the car (ie press brake and click the start button). Well, if you hold the start button in for 10 seconds, it'll turn the starter for you anyway. But this left her without any brake lights for the duration of her trip to the dealer.
Thats why you put a fuse from the brake light, if the LEDs happen to burn up it will take out the small fuse before it takes out the brake light

Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:32 PM   #89
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
Kevin thanks for changing your avatar....that transvestite was creeping me out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
I believe I see his schlong!

Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:02 PM   #90
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Thats why you put a fuse from the brake light, if the LEDs happen to burn up it will take out the small fuse before it takes out the brake light
Absolutely workable idea. Perfect.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #91
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

seems like kevin is the yoda of 250s so i have a quick question, i made a vid on what ive done so far, and it shows where i wired an alarm indicator light to some unused wires behind the headlight. can u watch the first part of the vid and tell me what they went to and if they are safe to wire leds to? when i got the bike they where just sitting there unplugged. so i dont know if the old owner did something or removed something.

here is the link

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by 7oxSin; July 4th, 2012 at 06:06 AM.
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #92
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
seems like kevin is the yoda of 250s so i have a quick question, i made a vid on what ive done so far, and it shows where i wired an alarm indicator light to some unused wires behind the headlight. can u watch the first part of the vid and tell me what they went to and if they are safe to wire leds to? when i got the bike they where just sitting there unplugged. so i dont know if the old owner did something or removed something.

here is the link

Link to original page on YouTube.

I tried watching, I have no idea... I know nothing about pregens, but those cables kinda look like headlight leads

Old July 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #93
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I can't watch on my phone, but were they those two wires with fork-style connectors and rubber hoods on the ends? If they're the same thing I'm thinking of, those are your auxiliary power wires. Those are always hot and there is a matching pair of leads next to the fuse box behind the right side body panel. Read through the ninja250.org wiki a little for some pictures since I cannot supply those right now either. You're going to want to look for an article titled "what are those extra wires?" or something to that effect in the electrical section.

The site is faq.ninja250.org in case you're unfamiliar with it. It's a great source of info on pre-2007 ninjettes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 9th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #94
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I can't watch on my phone, but were they those two wires with fork-style connectors and rubber hoods on the ends? If they're the same thing I'm thinking of, those are your auxiliary power wires. Those are always hot and there is a matching pair of leads next to the fuse box behind the right side body panel. Read through the ninja250.org wiki a little for some pictures since I cannot supply those right now either. You're going to want to look for an article titled "what are those extra wires?" or something to that effect in the electrical section.

The site is faq.ninja250.org in case you're unfamiliar with it. It's a great source of info on pre-2007 ninjettes.
Posted via Mobile Device
u ROCK! that is what they are. i know what ill be wiring everything through now :P ill post pics and vids when i get the leds!