ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Looking for opinion

I am just trying to get an opinion on this bike I am thinking about picking up next week. The bike is a 2009 SE and has some damage but I believe the damage can be fixed and then have the fairings resprayed a solid color like white, black, or blue. The guy wants $1,000 for the bike and it does run and has a clear title. Let me know what you think.

msebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

I am just looking to know if the bike could be worth purchasing based on the pictures above. By the way the kid on the bike is not the seller it is the sellers son and the damage was done to the bike before the seller purchased the bike. It was suppose to be for the son and a father son project they did a little bit of work and the son purchased a bigger bike. The bike does run and is rideable. I don't know about maintinence records but I will have the bike fully checked out by my local Kawasaki shop the day I purchase the bike (if I purchase the bike.) I am going to call the seller and ask him if he will start up the bike so I can hear it run and warm up and maybe a few revs (kind of a suprise to see how the bike starts and runs and see if there is anything noticably wrong.)

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Why not go physically check it out? For 1k I personally think it's worth it, you can fix up those plastics for around ~$500 That's about 1.5k for a fairly decent 250. But like I said you are going to want to really check this thing out in person to see if there is more damage than they are showing as well as how the bike runs.

Is this listing far from you? If not, just swing by when they are available and be ready to make a offer if it's just cosmetic damage it's an easy fix.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #4
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Yeah it is about a 5 hour round trip where the bike is located. I just want to hear the bike and make sure it runs before I make the trip. Plus, I have to wait till next week to go when I am not so busy. I will check the bike over very well, I plan to take my brother-in-law who knows alot about motorcycles when I go plus myself who has had a 08' 250R last year before it was ran over by an old lady in a wal-mart parking lot. I plan to do all of the fairing work myself and then just have them painted professionaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Why not go physically check it out? For 1k I personally think it's worth it, you can fix up those plastics for around ~$500 That's about 1.5k for a fairly decent 250. But like I said you are going to want to really check this thing out in person to see if there is more damage than they are showing as well as how the bike runs.

Is this listing far from you? If not, just swing by when they are available and be ready to make a offer if it's just cosmetic damage it's an easy fix.

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msebastian View Post
Yeah it is about a 5 hour round trip where the bike is located. I just want to hear the bike and make sure it runs before I make the trip. Plus, I have to wait till next week to go when I am not so busy. I will check the bike over very well, I plan to take my brother-in-law who knows alot about motorcycles when I go plus myself who has had a 08' 250R last year before it was ran over by an old lady in a wal-mart parking lot. I plan to do all of the fairing work myself and then just have them painted professionaly.
You might break even between purchasing new fairing and painting them, but then again you might have better connections than myself . 5 hours is pretttttyyyy far if it turns out to be trash, but it just looks like your run of the mill lay down pavement kiss, unfortunately on both sides. As far as having them run the bike over the phone you better hope he doesn't have a old Nokia brick phone so you can hear that thing good :P

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You might break even between purchasing new fairing and painting them, but then again you might have better connections than myself . 5 hours is pretttttyyyy far if it turns out to be trash, but it just looks like your run of the mill lay down pavement kiss, unfortunately on both sides. As far as having them run the bike over the phone you better hope he doesn't have a old Nokia brick phone so you can hear that thing good :P
Well if you look at the first pic those are the most recent pics. They did find a nice used fairing on ebay for the left side and that is the replaced fairing. The right side and the upper cowl is the only damage. They also found a used 2010-12 exhaust off of ebay and replaced the stock dented exhaust. The rearsets and passenger pegs were not damaged during the laydown. I believe I can put 1k into this bike, make it like new again and sell it for 3-4k if I wanted 2. I do plan to ride the bike for a couple months before I get my SE 300.

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

I don't think you'll need the whole 1k, but there is definitely potential to save this bike and make it look like new again easily and turn a small profit or at least get what you put into it back. Are the clip ons still straight?

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #8
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I don't think you'll need the whole 1k, but there is definitely potential to save this bike and make it look like new again easily and turn a small profit or at least get what you put into it back. Are the clip ons still straight?
I do not know that but will find out. If not I can get some off of ebay I am sure. He did say the bike still rides straight and the forks, front wheel, and fender had no damage. I would say the forks are not bent but do not know about the bars. I have some Vortex clip ons, SSR preload adjusters, grips, and bar ends from my old 250R that I will probably put on there. Plus I can take them off and put them on the 300 if I do sell. But I will ask him tomorrow when I call him.

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Well it sounds like you've got this all figured out on every possibility as long as it's mechanically sound . Best of luck with the sale if you pursue it!

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #10
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Thanks Falcor, I have tried to figure out every possibility I just need to make sure it is mechanically sound though. I still would like some opinions from other members, maybe ones who have bought a damaged bike and repaired it, maybe even some links to forum threads.

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

The search tool is a magical thing

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I think it will cost you over $1k to replace the bike in just OEM plastics, w stickers/decals etc.
$1k for bike + 1k+ for repairs, 5 hrs away and that much damage, I'd personally would pass.
Even fixed up I don't think you'd get over 2.5 to 3k max for the bike @ resale and possibly as little as 2k.

If you plan on getting a 300, I'd just do that.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 06:09 AM   #13
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
I think it will cost you over $1k to replace the bike in just OEM plastics, w stickers/decals etc.
$1k for bike + 1k+ for repairs, 5 hrs away and that much damage, I'd personally would pass.
Even fixed up I don't think you'd get over 2.5 to 3k max for the bike @ resale and possibly as little as 2k.

I was planning on fixing the stock plastics that are currently on the bike myself and then having them resprayed. I am not going back to OEM specs with decals and all that. The bike will be one solid color with the Ninga decal in it's original location and a Kawasaki decal on the lower cowling. I don't have the cash at the moment to go straight to the 300. I was really hoping to get this bike cheap, fix it up, ride it around for a few months, and then get the 300, and either sell the bike or keep it. My wife agrees with you and told me I should pass. I was also looking at resale value around me and you are probably right about the 3k max resale value. I still have other options with far less damage if I decide not to pursue this bike. Thanks for the input.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:03 AM   #14
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

if it ran well and the frame is straight, i would get it just for doing track days.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:48 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Just go buy it if it is a sound machine, get it painted and enjoy it as a beater. $1k is a steal.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:15 AM   #16
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
I was planning on fixing the stock plastics that are currently on the bike myself and then having them resprayed. I am not going back to OEM specs with decals and all that. The bike will be one solid color with the Ninga decal in it's original location and a Kawasaki decal on the lower cowling. I don't have the cash at the moment to go straight to the 300. I was really hoping to get this bike cheap, fix it up, ride it around for a few months, and then get the 300, and either sell the bike or keep it. My wife agrees with you and told me I should pass. I was also looking at resale value around me and you are probably right about the 3k max resale value. I still have other options with far less damage if I decide not to pursue this bike. Thanks for the input.
If those are your plans, then it might be worth it.. I was thinking you wanted to get it back to stock for highest resale. You'd be all in for about 1.5k that way and easily sell it for 2k-2.5k. Which may or may not be enough profit for you after a few months of riding it.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:55 AM   #17
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

I say make the trip and check it out, 1k is cheap. is a long trip but you don't want to be regreting it later if you are not happy with your other options.
By you posting about this makes me think that used bikes are hard to sell by owners unlike here in CA, take the time but do it asap and look at all of your options and decide which one is better for you. you'll spend time and gas but you should be happy with your choice
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post

lolwut? Ridiculous shipping yes, but nowhere near 1k. Also you're going to need turn signals but those are cheap. As far as the rear right cowl i'd try sanding it smooth and taping it off and just spray that part with as close as a match as you can.

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:43 AM   #20
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
lolwut? Ridiculous shipping yes, but nowhere near 1k. Also you're going to need turn signals but those are cheap. As far as the rear right cowl i'd try sanding it smooth and taping it off and just spray that part with as close as a match as you can.
No.... 1K is about right. You see if you look at the pictures (and the absolute tool bag of an owner) you'll expect, and see, that both sides are rashed. Add another $250 fairing. The tail never makes it out alive......$90 X 2 for each side. So now add $430 to your total. Minimum.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:48 AM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if the frame and forks are straight, the engine runs well and it isn't rusting, and it has a title/reg then $1000 for that bike is a STEAL. you could repair the existing fairings for under $100. the gauge face will cost about $10. some blinkers and lights and you're looking at $1200 for a perfect condition newgen.

if you dont buy it i will.

even if you dont want to ride it, you could part that bike out for $1700 easy

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:08 PM   #22
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
No.... 1K is about right. You see if you look at the pictures (and the absolute tool bag of an owner) you'll expect, and see, that both sides are rashed. Add another $250 fairing. The tail never makes it out alive......$90 X 2 for each side. So now add $430 to your total. Minimum.
The right left side of the bike is apparently fixed according to OP.

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:36 PM   #23
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
The right left side of the bike is apparently fixed according to OP.
Correct, look at picture 2, that is a newer picture of the fairing that was replaced with a good used fairing off of ebay. And in picture 1 by the turn signal area I thought that was a crack but it is the turn signal wire hanging out of the opening. See picture 4 and you can see the wire up in the opening. Picture 8 was what the left side looked like before the used OEM ebay fairing was put on.

This bike was suppose to be a father and son project and they were fixing the bike and that is why the front cowl is the way it is, they were sanding and primering it for paint. The son got a bigger bike and so they put the fairings back on as is and put it up for sale.

The gauge face will be replaced and I may try and find a cheap low miles 2011-12 white faced gauge set and do the fan trick to get the gauge set to the stock mileage. I believe I can sand out the scratches and scuffs, prime the fairings, and have them professionaly painted, probably a OEM color like pearl white, lime green, candy lime green, or candy thunder blue.

I will be talking to the seller later on today and I will see if he can start the bike up and let it run so I can hear if there is any apparent problems or running issues with the bike. He says he has rode the bike within the last couple weeks and there is no problems mechanicaly. Like I said the day I get the bike (if I get the bike) I will remove the fairnings so I can start getting them ready for paint and take it to my local Kawi shop for a full check up (bolts, valve lash, brakes, tires, rims, forks, everything. As well as have all fluids drained and replaced. I will then take of the carbs and give them a good cleaning if the Kawi shop does not already do it just to make sure there is not gunk or build up. I plan to have the bike ready by March so I can do some riding. I will do a full rebuild of the bike on here (if purchased) and keep track of money so anyone interested can see the progress.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:38 PM   #24
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Update:

I just got off of the phone with the seller and found out some things I did not know. The bike originally when he purchased it had a full Yoshimura exhaust, stage 2 dyno jet kit, air box delete (k&n airpod installed), and smog delete. The muffler was damaged from the lay down so he got a nice used 10-12 muffler and threw it on there.

He also assured me the bike runs flawlessly and the damage is cosmetic and there are no cracks in the fairings. He rode the bike last week when we had a 60+ degree day. He also told me he 2 had the bike inspected 500 miles ago at a local shop and they gave the bike the thumbs up. He said they did an oil change, went over the bolts, and checked the valve lash. He has the sheet for me and gave me a number so I can call and verify the maintinence.

So for me all is good and I will be picking the bike up very soon. The fairing rash is all that is wrong with the bike and after that is fixed the bike will be like new again for 1.5k or under.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:40 PM   #25
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
The bike originally when he purchased it had a full Yoshimura exhaust, stage 2 dyno jet kit, air box delete (k&n airpod installed), and smog delete. The muffler was damaged from the lay down so he got a nice used 10-12 muffler and threw it on there.
So it has a yoshi header with a stock muffler and stage 2 jets? Interesting.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:45 PM   #26
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So it has a yoshi header with a stock muffler and stage 2 jets? Interesting.
I believe so but I could be wrong. Can you explain why so interesting? Also where did you find those replacement fairings I may get a new nose fairing and ride the bike as is for awhile becasue I am not a fan of the primered nose fairing at least then it will match up better.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
I believe so but I could be wrong. Can you explain why so interesting?
Because i'm wondering if it would still give a slight performance gain since it's using the better header and jet kit even though the flow is going to be restricted a bit with the stock muffler.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:49 PM   #28
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Because i'm wondering if it would still give a slight performance gain since it's using the better header and jet kit even though the flow is going to be restricted a bit with the stock muffler.
I can see what you are saying, I should have thought of that myself. Thanks. Hey I edited my above post can you answer that question.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Here is the Upper Cowling for that bike. I find them on amazon, the shipping a bit high and it takes a while but it's the same price you'd pay at the dealership for the part itself. If there is a dealership near you then you SHOULD be able to get it through them with cheaper shipping, and quicker.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:52 PM   #30
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Here is the Upper Cowling for that bike. I find them on amazon, the shipping a bit high and it takes a while but it's the same price you'd pay at the dealership for the part itself. If there is a dealership near you then you SHOULD be able to get it through them with cheaper shipping, and quicker.
Yeah I just found it, I put in fairing instead of cowling.

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:05 PM   #31
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

I found Kawasaki Lime Green in a spray can so I may just touch it up with that and a little clear and and go on (paint code 777.) Also looking at the pics the head pipe looks like a stock 250R head pipe. I do not think it is a Yoshi. But would you need a stage 2 kit due 2 removing the airbox and installing the pod. Would there be that much difference. I also believe the needles have been shimmed on the carbs as well but I don't know the specs yet.

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:08 PM   #32
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

If you're comfortable with sanding and prepping the cowling go for it! As far as the jet kit being needed with the other mods I THINK it's beneficial but you'd have to get some input on that from somebody who does a lot of performance mods on here to get a definitive answer on what it would mean for that bike with what's on it.

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:44 PM   #33
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If you're comfortable with sanding and prepping the cowling go for it! As far as the jet kit being needed with the other mods I THINK it's beneficial but you'd have to get some input on that from somebody who does a lot of performance mods on here to get a definitive answer on what it would mean for that bike with what's on it.
I was going to sand and prep the rashed up fairings before they go to paint so I can save some money. I may just take off the white decals and prep the upper cowl, paint it, and just ride the bike for now. I will have to see how I feel about the fairings when I get the bike. Pictures are different then me seeing the damage in person. I am OCD about my vehicles so if it erks me too much I will have them resprayed. I plan on going over everything with a fine comb to make sure I am comfortable with the bike.

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM   #34
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

I am planning on picking the bike up on Wed/Thursday next week. I just got off the phone with my local Kawi shop and they said it would be around $3-400 for a full check up of the bike. This includes bolts, valves, drain/flush/refill all fluids, brakes (pads/rotors/lines), tires, and just basically every part of the bike to make sure it is road worthy. Plus I got an estimate to paint the fairings after I fix the road rash on them and it was $2-300. The cover for the cluster will be about $60 or I can get a 2011-12 cluster for $110. So for around $1,600 for the cheapest prices the bike will be like new again. I have never seen a new gen go for this price anywhere so I am really hoping for the bike to not sell within the next 5-6 days. By the way the bike is going to be painted either metallic spark black or pearl white.

Old February 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
can i make a suggestion? just wait a little while before you plop down the money on cosmetics... see what you think of the bike how it is and if you feel that you need to do the cosmetics right away or not.

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:09 PM   #36
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I agree with Mr. Alex. Ride the bike around looking like crap. Once you know that it rides as it should...then worry about it being pretty.

Also, check it yourself and save money. It's not all that hard...
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:50 AM   #37
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Agreed; ride as is, check bike yourself. Also try offering less money for the bike. Show up with $800 cash. Never hurts to try.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:43 PM   #38
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
can i make a suggestion? just wait a little while before you plop down the money on cosmetics... see what you think of the bike how it is and if you feel that you need to do the cosmetics right away or not.
The rash on the fairings I dont mind so much, it's the upper cowl that looks like ass and needs something done before riding around. Plus he said it has been plastic welded back together in 3 places so I may just get a new one. But, I do agree and see where you are coming from. I definently appreciate the suggestion and I have been thinking this also. But I figured I would get the estimates for when I am ready.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:47 PM   #39
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I agree with Mr. Alex. Ride the bike around looking like crap. Once you know that it rides as it should...then worry about it being pretty.

Also, check it yourself and save money. It's not all that hard...
I am mechanically sound but not so much on motorcycles. I know I can do the fluids (maybe not the brake fluid, is there any good how to's on this.) I also do not think I will be able to check the valves and valve lash, I can do so on a car but like I said I have never worked on a motorcycle that in depth (how to's on this may boost my confidence though.)

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM   #40
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMman View Post
Agreed; ride as is, check bike yourself. Also try offering less money for the bike. Show up with $800 cash. Never hurts to try.
He has the bike up for sale for 1.2k and we have already agreed on 1k for the bike, so I do not think I can go any lower on the price. I am going to look for how to's on the brakes flush and valves. Is there anything else I should look for if I do go over the bike myself.