ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

GP Shift.

Have not heard anyone on pregen do this.
I just learned about this couple days ago from CB and wanted to try.

before

during

after

back on almost 180 degrees. Don't pay attention too much to the positioning. I changed two more times after this.

I went for a ride for a good hour and I really like it! I got used to it within 20 minutes. At a stop light, I did catch myself couple of times pressing down for 1st gear.

I think I will keep it this way.

Oh, I do have a duct tape on top of brake reservoir that reads, "GP SHIFT."

Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

cool beans man, I have yet to try GP shift on any of the bikes I've owned but I would like to try it possibly in the future. I can definitely see how it would help on the track.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

chris what exactly did you do? flip the mechanism? wanna give it a try also

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM   #4
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

yea pretty much.

- GP or Reverse Shift (starting from neutral):

First gear is up 1

Neutral is down 1 and will likewise be indicated by a green light on your gauges.

Gear 2-6 are all down

If you have the shift pedal too low, it will hit the peg and will not shift.

damn...I should be sleeping.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Yay! I started a trend.

I really liked this mod for my bike. Everything just seems more natural and efficient. I have a hard time at stops sometimes remembering, so I did like Chris did and put a peice of tape with GP Shift!! on it. I almost had an accident last night when I was making a left at a light and shifted down instead of up. The tire locked up and slid a bit but everthing was ok. Just be careful and alert when you do this. It's like learning to shift all over again so don't take it lightly.

Good job Chris. Your trip will help you get it figured out.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM   #6
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
yea pretty much..
ok gotcha...had some time to review your pix.
thanx for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
damn...I should be sleeping.
ya hear that?!?
...that was yer pillow say'in "gimmie head"

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM   #7
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

I rode all the way to Fayetteville, NC today like this today.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Hopefully with no problems. Did this mod allow you to do smokey white burnouts and wheelies? How about getting your knee down easier? More flashy? More torque or hp? We need answers!!!

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

shifting up through the gears was definitely faster.
I do like how my foot is above the lever when turning.
It took some getting used to shifting upward to shift down, but I got used to it fast enough.

Oh, this made shifting up smoother. Less jerkyness when I'm below a certain RPM.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #10
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

That's the same conclusion I came up with. I was riding with KnoxNinja earlier this evening and he ended up dragging his foot during a shift in a turn. Dangerous stuff.

Old April 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #11
komohana

wife's leaving for work....returning with grand-daughter this evening. so that leaves me quality time with my honey, and we're gonna GP shift-mod and test 'er out today yeah!

aloha

Old April 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

" Oh, I do have a duct tape on top of brake reservoir that reads, "GP SHIFT."

LOL
Keep that in mind FOR SURE !!!

I might try this mod out myself, smoother is always better
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

You just have to be extremely careful that you don't go back to your previous instinct of regular shifting.
It's very easy to do and can have disastrous results both to you and your bike.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #14
komohana

spent several hours yesterday afternoon doing the GP shifter mod. i spent alot of time messing with what i thought was a shifter lever range problem, thinking my shifter tip was too low to effectively shift 'down' through the gears cuz it looked and felt like the lollipop on the shifter lever was touching the lever itself. now at one point i did have the lever on the low side, wanting to adjust upward to where i like the shifter lever...
but later realized that sitting on the ground, jiggling the rear tire and shifting with my hand just wasn't cutting it.
once i found true limits, i was able to find the sweet spot, dial it in, road test to ensure i'm able to shift through smoothly and completely...and slept soundly lastnight knowing i'm gonna give this mod the full FCF (functional check flight ) today.
with just the couple of rides i did to test the changes yesterday, i could tell: 1-i'm gonna like this set-up..and
2-it's gonna take abit of practical riding to get used to it all.

Old April 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I think I will need to swap mine. Last time I hit the track I caught myself trying to upshift by downshifting. It wasn't working good for me.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #16
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

BTW I love the Mechanics gloves and flip flops with socks. Classy.

On topic... After some normal riding the past few days I seem to have gotten the hang out it. I dare not take my "GP Shift!!" tape off, I find it gives me extra horsepower. Besides, I'd probably jinx myself and forget to shift. It'll stay on for a little longer.

Old April 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #17
komohana

FCF complete

so!

was able to take my baby for a flight check today, and i must say, i LOVE the difference in shifting, and what this relatively simple mod has done. shifting through the gears seems (to me anyway) way smoother, and i find it less distracting shifting into that all elusive 7th gear. i thought it would have taken me longer to integrate brain/body commands, over-writing years of programming....but no problemo!

wanna send mahalo's to chris for bringing this one to my attention

party on!

Old April 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #18
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

You know... i didn't notice until you said something, Steve, but I don't find myself trying to shift into 7th anymore either. If this thing is so great I wonder why most bikes don't come from the factory with GP.?.?.?.?

Old April 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #19
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
You know... i didn't notice until you said something, Steve, but I don't find myself trying to shift into 7th anymore either. If this thing is so great I wonder why most bikes don't come from the factory with GP.?.?.?.?
i would venture to guess bike makers would opt to keep that standard and unchanged for the riding masses and have racers and us regular folk make the mod ourselves...ya know?

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #20
squishedworm
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana
shifting into that all elusive 7th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl
trying to shift into 7th
I did that no less than three times earlier today, I'm going to try this mod right now and put an end to this foolishness.
squishedworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #21
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

It is just an industry standard. It is all about preference. Since the 250 has such tight gearing, I may need to go and switch to the GP pattern. For one of my local tracks, MSR Houston, standard shift is actually better for my little two fiddy. There is only one, maybe two turns where I'd need to be careful on the bike and trying to grab a gear. The rest of the time I'd be on the other side. I think if Miladin can run standard pattern and be insanely quick, I can too.

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #22
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

I ran a upside-down(race) pattern on my GSXR 750. It helps for two reasons.

1) Typically you brake prior to the corner and set your corner entry speed before to getting the bike into a full lean. Sometimes after mid corner with the bike still leaned over pretty far, with a standard shift pattern, there's little or no room for your foot to fit underneath the shifter to upshift coming out of the corner. Not only that, but in addition to contacting the ground just from lean angle alone, if you hit a bump mid corner, that 1/2" or 1" you had between your foot and the ground just diminished snagging your foot on the ground, and ripping it backwards. After this happened a few times, I switched to race pattern and never looked back.

2) Also on my GSXR, I became quite the wheelie fanatic. You can up-shift about 3 times quicker pushing down using a race pattern, compared to pulling up your foot with a standard pattern. When up-shifting during a wheelie, a standard pattern is even slower since your body is at a different angle. (If you don't believe me, back your chair away from your desk and imagine yourself doing a wheelie. Your back stays in the same position, handlebars come closer, and lift your feet about 18 inches off the ground. Now, try to upshift. You'll notice your toe won't pivot up for the upshift, but only kicks out to the left alittle bit.) Because of this, you have to jerk your whole leg to shift during a wheelie, which upsets the chassis of the bike, giving you a wobble at 110mph on the 2nd-3rd gear shift that is not good!

3) Because you can shift so much faster during a wheelie, you don't have to get the bike quite at the dangerous balance point to shift. Instead you can shift at a safer wheelie angle with the front wheel closer to the ground. If one was going to become a wheelie stud on any bike, race pattern is the key IMO

Seeing as I won't be doing any wheelie's on this bike, and don't really plan on leaning it over that far, I'll prob just leave it standard. Plus, the wife will have just gotten out of the MSF course this weekend. Don't want to confuse her too bad!

But yeah, after a day or two of riding in "reverse", you should make no more mistakes. Problem comes when you ride other's bikes =)
speedgsx98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #23
komohana

i've enjoyed running with the reversed shift pattern, yesterday's ride was the first time i've used it riding the local twisties with kkim. riding was fine, and the missed shift count-o-meter read only 1 when all was said and done... as we ate breakfast we talked about the reverse pattern, and he said what i had been thinking since chasing him up the hill that morning, and it was about instinct.
i've been riding for 20 plus years, and although the reversed pattern feels fine, i found myself spending more of my dollar's worth of attention on properly shifting during yesterday's ride, which is the first 'heated' expedition i've taken since the reverse. i'm sure that'll change the more i ride in these situations, but its the OTHER situations that caught my attention over breakfast...you know...the quick-to-almost panic stops that requires quick downshifting, is just one example. after riding/shifting in one direction for so long, the change HAS taxed my attention, and i'll admit i HAVE missed some shifts in normal AND one quick stop situation....i like the reverse alot...but my instinctive reaction to situations has led me to decide to revert back to the standard pattern.

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #24
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
i've enjoyed running with the reversed shift pattern, yesterday's ride was the first time i've used it riding the local twisties with kkim. riding was fine, and the missed shift count-o-meter read only 1 when all was said and done... as we ate breakfast we talked about the reverse pattern, and he said what i had been thinking since chasing him up the hill that morning, and it was about instinct.
i've been riding for 20 plus years, and although the reversed pattern feels fine, i found myself spending more of my dollar's worth of attention on properly shifting during yesterday's ride, which is the first 'heated' expedition i've taken since the reverse. i'm sure that'll change the more i ride in these situations, but its the OTHER situations that caught my attention over breakfast...you know...the quick-to-almost panic stops that requires quick downshifting, is just one example. after riding/shifting in one direction for so long, the change HAS taxed my attention, and i'll admit i HAVE missed some shifts in normal AND one quick stop situation....i like the reverse alot...but my instinctive reaction to situations has led me to decide to revert back to the standard pattern.
That is why you need a track only bike!

No panic stops like on the street out there.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #25
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
That is why you need a track only bike!

No panic stops like on the street out there.
i hear that! trust me, IF there was a track here i'd gladly chase kkim all over that sucker!

Old May 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #26
Strider
Back on the Black!

It's been awhile since I've seen Chris on the forums ....
Does anyone know how he's doing or how this Mod has worked out for him???
I sent a PM , but no reply ...

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #27
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

just got back dude.

Old May 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #28
Strider
Back on the Black!

Hey man, glad your back Hope it wasn't nothing bad that kept you away...

So, can you update us on how this mod is working for you???

Old May 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #29
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

I can't really say much since I was gone for army training and haven't rode the whole time but today.
I'm going on my cali trip in a week so I will definitely know if I will keep it or not.
5k+ miles...coming soon.

Old May 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #30
Strider
Back on the Black!

Oh boy! I smell a ride report coming soon

Planning a 4th of July trip from NC to NY myself ...

Old June 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #31
inbox526
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Hmm... any way to do this on the 07+? The sprocket cover seems to be completely in the way..
inbox526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #32
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox526 View Post
Hmm... any way to do this on the 07+? The sprocket cover seems to be completely in the way..
does your sprocket cover look like the one in this picture?

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #33
inbox526
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Nope nope. Looks like a grill sorta thing. And it looks as if the part im supposed to turn around is more recessed into the cover than the one shown.

Edit: And.. I just realized im in the pre-gen section lol.
inbox526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #34
kkim

sprocket cover shouldn't be a problem. I believe others with new gens have reversed their shifting also.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #35
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

I reversed mine but the sprocket cover was already off. I think the cover needs to be notched in order to flip the shifter.

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #36
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I reversed mine but the sprocket cover was already off. I think the cover needs to be notched in order to flip the shifter.
Notching it may be nice to do anyway. At least then you can spray a bit of chain lube directly on the sprocket.

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #37
bikeboyben14
ninjette.org member

Name: ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

i had to notch mine, its an 09 but i think i need to adjust it still my shift lever is kinda hard to push up like its too high and also due to the fact i only got 1n2 and nothing else
bikeboyben14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #38
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

well, sorry for this delay. I didn't want to do anything with the bike for some time after that 5k trip.

out of the whole trip, I messed up twice.
so, it's going to stay GP shift.

there were some turns I really was glad I had my foot on top of the shifter.
now back to pricing chain and sprockets...