Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Help me pick my boots and my pants

Boots:
Fusion $200
Cobra $250
Vertigo $300
and for good measure, Alpinestar S-MX5

What do you all think of those boots? They would be my first pair of boots, but I want a pair that will be good and last me a long time as well as offer really good protection in case anything happens. I'm sure they are all good, I'm just not sure of the difference between them.

I've decided on the Alpinestar Stunt jacket, unless you can convince me that it is an absolutely horrible jacket and you give me a better alternative to it. But to me, it looks like a great jacket for the price, especially after having watched Revzilla's video on it. However, I'm not sure which pants to get with it. So I'm open to suggestions for pants.

This is my first real set of gear (I have a TourMaster mesh jacket and a Shoe RF1100 helmet already), so any input and advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, I tried on a pair of Alpinestar MX-Plus size 43 and they fit really nicely, so if anybody knows how Sidi sizing compares to Alpinestar, let me know
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Boots:
Fusion $200
Cobra $250
Vertigo $300
and for good measure, Alpinestar S-MX5

What do you all think of those boots? They would be my first pair of boots, but I want a pair that will be good and last me a long time as well as offer really good protection in case anything happens. I'm sure they are all good, I'm just not sure of the difference between them.

I've decided on the Alpinestar Stunt jacket, unless you can convince me that it is an absolutely horrible jacket and you give me a better alternative to it. But to me, it looks like a great jacket for the price, especially after having watched Revzilla's video on it. However, I'm not sure which pants to get with it. So I'm open to suggestions for pants.

This is my first real set of gear (I have a TourMaster mesh jacket and a Shoe RF1100 helmet already), so any input and advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, I tried on a pair of Alpinestar MX-Plus size 43 and they fit really nicely, so if anybody knows how Sidi sizing compares to Alpinestar, let me know
All good choices.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM   #3
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-vortice-air-boots How about this one?
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #4
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Out of my price range

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:00 PM   #5
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
What makes the Alpinestar jacket SO expensive???

________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________

Here are some CHEAP but GREAT boots:

They're all the same, but branded differently.

Waterproof: Cortech Latigo WP Road Race Boots

Mesh: Cortech Latigo Air Road Race Boots

Mesh: Teknic Chicane Boots

Mesh: SEDICI Laguna Leather Motorcycle Boots

Here is a review by @gfloyd2002

He reviewed the Cortech Latigos, but, like I said, they're exactly the same.

Quote:
Have them, love them. More specifically, I have the Cortech Latigo, which is the identical boot as the Sedici Laguna and the Teknic Chicane. Same stitching, same panels, same everything except for the branding.

-Very comfortable on the bike, breathe decently (I have the air version), good for hot weather in the air version. Nice liner inside that has my feet dry after long rides in the heat. Comfy.
-Fit is what I expected, but the boot is perhaps a tiny bit stubby at the toe - I wear a 44 (10.5) in most shoes and a 45 (11) in these.
-Seem really well made. Been riding in them for a while now and they are holding up great. I don't baby them at all, and they are none the worse for wear. The sole is firm enough to feel solid, no twisting in hard riding. No slipping on the pegs. Zipper is heavy duty, leather seems really solid.
-There is a forward lean to the boot (15 degree forward angle), which is what makes them comfy on the ninjette. It helps me pull my toes back onto my pegs and put the weight onto the balls of my feet rather than being lazy and covering the brake or toeing under the gear lever. So better balance riding with them.
-Off the bike, it really isn't uncomfortable at all despite the lean. I walk about 300 yards from my parking spot at work to my office, and it feels great and not awkward or ski boot like at all. There is enough space in the area protecting the shin that you can be completely upright without it hurting. I wouldn't wear it to run a marathon, mind you, but really quite nice for normal sorts of walking from the bike into a store, into work, etc. If you plan to walk around all day in your boots, go with a cruiser boot instead.
-For the price point, really provides great performance. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Definitely would recommend.
By the way, search the internet for any boots you pick. You never know when you can save some money.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...-out-air-boots ;]

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #7
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Personaly I like the http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1000309
but it only comes with no perf but soon if they have my size and any left at my local cg I may get the limited ed. scream monster which does have perf but more $$ Its set at 450 :S. :P http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...leather-jacket

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
kaiserz

After owning my own a* leather jacket (That I didn't use that much, sold it) I would say check this out http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2012 (I got mine at ebay for a much cheaper price) or this http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9865 then try getting a good pair of gloves.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:23 AM   #9
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

@saxnbass You should get a price quote from ridersdiscount. Call Nate at 866.931.6644 x 809 or email them: FORUM at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM

They dont carry Sidi/Dainese but they will get you prices that cant be beat on the internet. Their website prices do not reflect what they will give you through the phone.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:10 AM   #10
saxnbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
After owning my own a* leather jacket (That I didn't use that much, sold it) I would say check this out http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2012 (I got mine at ebay for a much cheaper price) or this http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9865 then try getting a good pair of gloves.
That Scorpion Eternity looks really nice. Would you say it's worth the extra $90 over the A* Stunt? (If I buy the Stunt jacket today, I can get it for $300, instead of $400)

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM   #11
dsims321
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Red Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
Personaly I like the http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1000309
but it only comes with no perf but soon if they have my size and any left at my local cg I may get the limited ed. scream monster which does have perf but more $$ Its set at 450 :S. :P http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...leather-jacket
I just picked up the Alpinestars Scream Monster Edition From sportbiketrackgear.com for $382 when your checking out put in the coupon code alpine2011 or maybe it was 2011alpine one of those two variants but it gave me 15% off any alpine stars stuff so with it i got the bionic back protector and bionic chest pads all coming up to $441

For boots im wearing the Sidi ST's usually wear size 10 in normal shoes but got size 9.5 for sidis which is size 43 and they fit perfect http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9483

Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #12
kaiserz

Quote:
That Scorpion Eternity looks really nice. Would you say it's worth the extra $90 over the A* Stunt? (If I buy the Stunt jacket today, I can get it for $300, instead of $400)
I have the Scorpion stinger which is the older version of the eternity, the eternity is the "newer" and "upgraded stinger" it has tons of upgrades vs the old stinger. I love my stinger, it saved me once already and If ever I'm gonna get a leather jacket again it's gonna be by scorpion. Anyway It's gonna be you who's gonna decide if it's gonna be worth the extra $90. Because by the end of the day it's your jacket not mine, go with what you want, a* and scorpion are good jackets by the way, how about your gloves? try getting good gloves too, because statistics says, 90% of the time you're hands are the 1st thing that's gonna hit the road, because instinctively you are gonna try to brace your fall. get good gloves. I did and I'm thankful. because If I didn't I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a hard time typing right now.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM   #13
saxnbass

I have Cortech Gloves right now. I plan to get some new gloves in the near future as well, since the ones I have are a tad small and very very airy, and I'm starting to get cold hands with those.

So I take it by "it saved me once already" that you went down in your Scorpion jacket? Can I ask at what speed? I assume it all held up great and you're still wearing it.

The Scorpion has the plus of looking a bit nicer, in my opinion, having the sliders, and the reflective piping.

The A*s has the plus on being full grain leather and, well, A*s is known for quality.

The other difference is A*s has zipper pant attachment, and the Scorpion is belt loop attachment. That could go either way. If you have pants that work with the zipper, that's obviously better, but the loops are much more versatile and 'universal'.

Old October 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #14
kaiserz

It held up great. It's my favorite jacket. I pretty much ditched all of my other jackets cause of the stinger.

Anyway I'm not sure what speed It was, all I know is I was going really really fast to even look at my speed (you know you're going fast because everything is starting to be a blur, you get tunnel vision and you're only concentrating on the stuff you're doing and not giving some attention to the stuff around you). I know it's over 60 when it happened, probably even 70+ sorry but I'm not sure, it happened on the twisties so I can't say how fast I was going, My kick stand got caught on this turn (they say this turn has taken a lot of lives already) I was leaning on my left side, leaning really hard and then BAM bike got caught, it threw me up in the air on its right side (Yup my bike threw a 200 lbs guy up in the air like superman). I slammed into the ground, slid a couple of foot and into the rubble with some sharp rocks. People who saw it thought I was gonna be broken into pieces, cause apparently it was such a spectacle to watch "Look a flying man!" I was on the ground, in pain, I can't breath because it felt like somebody with super human strength punched me in the chest. I just lay there motionless. and trying to breath. trying to convince myself that everything is gonna be alright.

My gear saved me that day. My gloves with the knox sliders saved my hands. My Dainese knee protectors saved my knee, I know it did, because there are melt marks on it, maybe from the friction(I can't imagine if I didn't had em that day). My shift jeans did a good job. My Icon alliance helmet did an awesome job, its all scratched up and is only for display now. My Stinger jacket, saved my arms, my shoulders and some stuff. I know I hit my arm and my shoulder really hard but I didn't feel anything. I know my Icon styker vest saved me too. I was sore for a couple of weeks. but over all was happy that I'm still alive (: and ohh btw I have a big patch of road rash on my side. because I didn't connect my jacket to my pants. I promised myself that If ever I'm gonna go out to the canyons or twisties I'm gonna wear a one piece suit.

Old October 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #15
saxnbass

Glad to hear that you were alright. Good to hear that the jacket held up in that too. My main concern about the Scorpion was quality and how it would hold up in a crash, and that really helps me. Thanks.

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #16
kaiserz

No problem And the scorpion looks HOT too, I get tons of compliments, and tons of flirty looks from girls heheh. But I won't be wearing leather jackets to my commute anymore only if I'm going out or only if I feel like it.
This is what I'm gonna sport for my commutes http://store.teizms.com/power-shell The convenience of a one piece suit. For a lazy guy like me, this is awesome, It takes me less than a minute to get into the suit, this one piece suit is a godsend hehehe

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #17
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
I have Cortech Gloves right now. I plan to get some new gloves in the near future as well, since the ones I have are a tad small and very very airy, and I'm starting to get cold hands with those.

So I take it by "it saved me once already" that you went down in your Scorpion jacket? Can I ask at what speed? I assume it all held up great and you're still wearing it.

The Scorpion has the plus of looking a bit nicer, in my opinion, having the sliders, and the reflective piping.

The A*s has the plus on being full grain leather and, well, A*s is known for quality.

The other difference is A*s has zipper pant attachment, and the Scorpion is belt loop attachment. That could go either way. If you have pants that work with the zipper, that's obviously better, but the loops are much more versatile and 'universal'.
Ive got cortech gloves I bet they are the same. Do they say DX on em? They are pretty light and I just had em cause they were cheap, I would invest in some good ones to. I got some A* ones for free and they are AWESOME!!!!
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote