Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old November 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #1
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Moto Machines Sportrack with Pelican case/eBay trunk

Been a while since selling our Ninja 250's, now have a 300... like when we had the 250's we have a need for some storage. With the other bikes we have we don't need sidecases again but some small storage is nice.

On the 250 I did an eBay trunk mounted on a stripped rear seat pan and then custom mounted Givi E21 sidecases. There are threads here I did years ago but photobucket hosed up my photos and I couldn't recover those photos but some of you may remember. So anyway, onto the 300...

At 1st I planned to do the same with a rear seat but after coming across the Moto Machines Sportrack I knew this was the way to go. The sportrack is very heavy duty and comes predrilled with 4 holes in it for case mounting as well as slots around the edges for strapping items to. For the 2 cases we have I used the 2 rear holes for mounting of the case, 1 front hole for a "security" bolt I run up from the undertail, through the Sportrack and into the case to prevent the latch from having to do all the work, the last front hole is to allow my SAE and/or mini-usb plug to go into the case providing power to my cell phone.

A small note about power... I run 2 connectors off the battery. 1 is an SAE run to the trunk area of the bike, the other is my heated gear lead. For the SAE connector I run it into a SAE Y connector to split and run one lead to the bars where I have a ball mount for my phone/gps and the other goes into the trunk. This is easy and works so I have power where I need it and for the times when I only want to run the rear seat instead of a storage box I still have same options.

Blah, blah... onto the pics...

1st the Pelican 1200 case:

Next the eBay trunk (small scooter trunk, will not fit a helmet):

Hope this helps anyone looking for similar.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old November 27th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Nice!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Want one a little larger? A very good deal, Twisted Throttle has these Coocase S28 Vivo top cases on sale right now for only $34.69!!!! I have one and love it. It's just large enough to allow my Shoei Qwest helmet (size large) to fit inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg @@@!!.JPG (15.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg @!!!.jpg (99.7 KB, 1 views)
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I love them pelican cases... Got one for turntables, one for the mixer and odds an ends, a few others... Blah blah

Looks sweet!

Old November 28th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #5
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Nice setup. It looks very versatile. Great work!
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #6
slolane
Motorcyclist

@Alex, @JohnnyBravo, @c-dog - Thank you!

@ Kevin1956 - Sweet, I'm going to check that out. At that price having a larger storage option would be great.

The way I have the cases mounted with wingnuts and lock washers I can swap storage options in less than 5 min.

Old November 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

@slolane - Your Sportrack from Moto Machines is actually made by a German company, Hepco-Becker. Any chance it will work on a 250? Could you possibly try it on a friend's bike to see? I'd buy one if it will fit. For more capacity on your bike, you may consider these. Moto Machines offers these cool Hepco-Becker saddlebags and unobtrusive mounts for your 300, but unfortunately not for the 250. Shown here on a Honda in this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/xd7Dm5O0G1M

Old November 28th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
@slolane - Your Sportrack from Moto Machines is actually made by a German company, Hepco-Becker. Any chance it will work on a 250? Could you possibly try it on a friend's bike to see? I'd buy one if it will fit. For more capacity on your bike, you may consider these. Moto Machines offers these cool Hepco-Becker saddlebags and unobtrusive mounts for your 300, but unfortunately not for the 250. Shown here on a Honda in this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/xd7Dm5O0G1M
Sure thing, next time I'm with one of my buddies with a 250 I can test for you.

Old December 1st, 2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Thank you @slolane! Much appreciated!

Old March 12th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #11
slolane
Motorcyclist

I didn't forget about you guys and doing some testing on my friends 250. The weather here in MD is finally warming up and I hope to get with my friend soon.

Old March 14th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #12
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Thanks @slolane! I would appreciate knowing if one would fit the 250. My OEM Kawasaki seat bag was recently stolen by some scumbag. He cut it off, making it useless, and took it. Kawasaki has discontinued the bike specific model (250/1000) seat bag, replacing it with one that's a "universal fit". They fit the 250 like crap now. I need to build a setup like yours.

Last futzed with by Kevin1956; March 14th, 2015 at 12:54 PM.

Old March 24th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #13
slolane
Motorcyclist

@Kevin1956

Well I lent my Sportrack to my buddy to test fit on his 250, said it did not fit. Still, all is not lost as I built something similar when I had 2, 250's... I stripped down a rear seat to the bare plastic, painted it black and mounted a cheap locking trunk from eBay to it.

Some pics: (not very good pics because I lost most when I had a Photobucket issue years ago)...

In the last photo you can see the front of the seat pan sticking out of the front of the trunk, this is why I painted it black, because it's white from the factory.

Another note is to not just rely on the rear seat latch to secure the seat pan and trunk to the bike, my solution was to run a bolt from the undertail up through the bike, through the seat pan and through the trunk and then put locking washers and a wing nut on. I had some old threads from years ago for this work somewhere on here, I will see if I can find.

Old March 27th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #14
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

@slolane Thanks for testing the fit. In an above post you'll see the cheap tailbag I built from a seat pan, a cookie sheet and a duffel bag. It unbolts from the seat pan easily, and I think I'll get a small Pelican case like you did. Compact, lockable, perfect for holding semi valuable essentials without the bulk or the worry of stuff "walking away". Thanks Pal!

Old March 28th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #15
slolane
Motorcyclist

Your welcome, happy to help.

Please let me know how your new project turns out, would love to see it.

Old July 20th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #16
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
Want one a little larger? A very good deal, Twisted Throttle has these Coocase S28 Vivo top cases on sale right now for only $34.69!!!! I have one and love it. It's just large enough to allow my Shoei Qwest helmet (size large) to fit inside.
@Kevin1956
Forgot to mention to you, I went to look for one of those cases a short time later and they were all gone. You snooze you lose, my fault for waiting. I still wanted a larger option than my eBay scooter case for long day trips and some overnights I do here and there. I began to look around for something that would somewhat go with the lines of my 300, I found this: Givi B37 Tech Monolock Top Case. They weren't cheap so I just waited a bit and just recently found a "blemished" one at Revzilla, it had a small nick on the side of it and was $60 off so I pulled the trigger on it. It's big and fits a large full size helmet with room to spare. I mounted it as far forward as I could without it touching me when riding. Check it out...

Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:21 AM   #17
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

@slolane NICE! I may opt for a larger case soon, another one from Coocase. I'll stay with them as I can get one that will mate up with my SW-Motech base plate that's made specifically for my SW-Motech rack. The base plate has a provision for an electrical plug that will mate up to one on the bottom of the new case. I'll get the upgraded case that has tail/brake lights built in, and internal power for a charger. I'll get the 36 liter super cool deluxe model, which is available with the lights/electrics, a padded liner, and even a remote control for locking it and setting a built in alarm. An optional lid panel can also be purchased which can be painted to match my bike. The larger size will look like a big goiter on these bikes, but with all the crap I carry, it's becoming necessary. I'd sure like to see any pics you may still have of your mounting brackets on your old 250 for the Givi side cases, if Photobucket hasn't eaten them all. I have a design all drawn up to mount pelicans, which will require a piece of metal to be laser cut and precisely bent. I just can't find a shop to do it at a reasonable cost yet.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:54 AM   #18
slolane
Motorcyclist

@Kevin1956

Thanks, I like it, since I sold all my other bikes and only ride the 300 now the larger cases allow me to use the bike more.

On yours I would stick with the ones that match up with the SW-Motech base plate too, clean and easy to swap. I like the idea of additional lighting/alarm options a lot.

Sorry to say but I don't have any other photos of my 250 sidecases/brackets. If I were to do it all again I wouldn't bend as much steel and bolt together, I would do what you are doing and have any pieces I needed made for it. One thing I didn't like about mine was it took like 15-20 minutes to pull off and a little longer to get back on with the multiple pieces, I would build it as a couple pieces that bolt onto my rear seat rack that I have now and then 1 or 2 braces. That way I could swap the sidecases on/off similar to the way I put any of my topcases on now...

Off the top of my head I would want a piece of metal that would go flat across the rear seat mount plate I have (over the existing mounting bolts), clear the rear fairings and then turn 90 degrees and go straight down stopping flush with the bottom of whatever sidecases I had. Then only one other piece, a V shaped bracket that would tie into the bottom edge of each sidecase, it would go from the bottom of one case up to the bottom (center) of the undertail and back down to the other sidecase. I'm not measuring here but I believe that would allow clearance for the rear wheel/tire travel and should allow for 5 minute install or removal when needed.

My idea would require me to always use a top case with the sidecases based on how I would mount it but if I needed the sidecases I would have the topcase too, even if it were just the Pelican.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:40 PM   #19
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

@slolane I was thinking of changing my sidecase mounting design a little, as I may incorporate the Hepco Becker C-Bow mounts and locks. (See the video from my pervious post in this thread.) They sell the components separately! These are available for $100 a pair, and would save me a lot of time, fabrication, and frustration. The silver part would bolt to my home made bracket on each side, the black part to the cases. Simple and clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!133.JPG (25.7 KB, 2 views)

Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:47 PM   #20
slolane
Motorcyclist

That sounds like a good plan, I like those.