ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 24th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #1
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

why did my bike stall?

Hi. I started my bike up just fine (almost 19,000 miles) and waited for about a minute before hopping on and riding off. The outside temperature was around 90 or so degrees so warming up isn't much of an issue, I don't think. Then about two minutes later while slowing down at a light it just died. I couldn't start if up again. When I hit the starter, the check engine light and the lamp indicator was on. The engine would chug a few times then nothing. I waited about 10 minutes of repeatedly doing this and it worked again. At first I barely got any power after it started. But as I slowly revved, it went back to normal. But now, I'm scared to ride it.

This is what I've noticed that's been off with the bike that might have lead to this:

1. The gas indicator took a long time to rise when I first hopped on the bike three hours earlier. But it didn't stall. Before stalling, the gas needle went up just fine and was at the middle where it was before.

2. There was no ramp where I was parked, so I just went off the sidewalk slowly. I have only done it once before and it was fine. It wasn't a heavy or severe landing. I was very gentle and the bike didn't hit anything.

3. The throttle felt a little bit weird before I parked the bike. It rained a lot the past few days so water might have gotten in the throttle. In some places it felt very sticky, so I played around with it by revving it a few times more than normal three hours before it installed.

Any of these sound like a possible culprit? Could there be any other reason why the bike would suddenly stall?
I almost got killed. Luckily, I was on the right side of the road and didn't run the yellow or else I would have been stuck in the middle of a 6 line highway.

thanks.
yogurtpooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
It is possible that rain water did leak into your gas tank and then did flow down into the carburetor's bowls.
The solution for that is draining the bowls and the tank.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #3
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

where could rain water possibly leak? it has rained in the past without any problems much.

Old July 24th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Around the gas cap, especially if the tank drain is clogged, blocked, or pinched.

On a PreGen it the line off the back of the tank, take an air compressor and disconnect the hose, then blow into that fitting off the back of the tank, and then blow the line itself. Make sure you have the cap open.

I have had this happen on my EX500 which has the same set-up as the Ninjette for the drain.

Another thing might be the tank venting, which is done thru the cap itself. If it does it again, open the gas cap and see if that makes any difference? If it does .....

Here's a write-up

Quote:
You need you to disassemble the gas cap and remove the two small red diaphragms, assuming this is your only problem.

The diaphragm gets hard and losses it's flexibility and gets stuck, and doesn't allow proper venting.

IMHO this modification should be done regardless to prevent future problems whatsoever.

They are ment to vent the tank, but in the case of an accident not allow gas to leak out, but more often cause problems then they fix.

Here are some pictures to help you.

The plastic piece houses the two small red diaphragm pieces, this one being mine, they are already gone, and you can leave the plastic piece out all together, as I'm going to do now.

Some things to watch out for are, there are 5 small springs under the round collar, and a small round collar as well on the locking mechanism, don't lose any of them.

Good luck.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 24th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Possible your petcock is off?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^^ start with the simple things. Check that the Petcock is on. Check that all your vacuum hoses are connected.

Have you messed with the idle speed adjuster lately? How about the idle mixture screws? Did you run out of gas and not switch to reserve? Check, just for your own sanity.

If t rained that much and the throttle felt funny, don't be afraid to drain the carb bowls so you get the water out.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #7
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

Hi guys. I went away for three days and I came back and the gas needle does not move up even though there's tons of gas left on the bike.
The bike will not start at all. It'll crank a few times, maybe start, then dies immediately as soon as I give it gas. Any thoughts? it's a 2012 btw

Old July 30th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'll ask the stupid question: have you done anything to it since your last posts?

And are you using the choke or starting it without?

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #9
yogurtpooh
ninjette.org member

No. i didn't get a chance to do anything. it stalled that night. started again in traffic and I was about to get it home on its home a few minutes later.
then the next day I had to leave for three days and now I'm back and it either wont start or will start and die when I gas it. the choke didn't matter and only made it shut down quicker

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Carb bowls full of gas?
anything in the airbox?
Snorkel area clear?
Got good spark?
fuel filter?

Basically you want to check, air, gas and spark.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So if it stalled, then you didn't do anything to improve the condition it, why do you expect any different result?

Just saying.