Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old February 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Neck Protection for Streetbike Riding

Do you think neck protection for everyday streetbike riding is beneficial or necessary?

What makes streetbike riding so much safer than closed course racing such as MX, SSB Racing or the Isle of Mann TT, that would not make a protective neck device necessary?

It seems most riders have armour for their backs, knees, elbows and ankles, nice helmets for their heads and fancy jackets and gloves for their hands etc... but why no protection for the neck. Did you know that the average human head with a helmet can weigh up to a little under 15 lbs? That's a lot of weight to have bobbling all over the place, not to mention having to try to control it and protect it in an accident.

The potential for injuries resulting from axio-loading (compressed vertebra), hyper-flexion, and hyperextension, make quite compelling reasons to have and use some type of neck protection....no?

I believe the majority of sport bike riders wear a helmet for one reason or another. Many wear some type of helmet which covers the whole face/chin region, whether it be a full face or modular type helmet. Often times riders will state that they wear a full face helmet to protect their face just in case they have an accident in which they “face plant”.

Neck injuries are the second most common type of upper torso injury. 11% of serious motorcycle accidents have some form of neck injury. Although most face plants are not fatal they will result in some type of neck injury. For that fact, any time the head strikes an object with a degree of force, there is a potential for neck injury. So, why do most riders go without neck protection?

No doubt you've seen the neck braces worn by MX racers and even NASCAR Racers. What if the neck device was simple and helped support the weight ball on top of your shoulders, help prevent neck and back strain. Would your wear it ?

If you been riding for a while, you’ve probably have seen a whole bunch of videos of a number of riders being slammed and having their heads smack the pavement when they crash, some even running head first into guard rails, curbs, vehicles, or even run over by their own bikes. On that rare occasion, there’s that rear impact from a vehicle that is 5.5 times heavier than you and your bike combined. So just how much protection can a neck device give?

Link to original page on YouTube.

If you look at a lot of the cycle apparel /equipment stores, you'll notice what used to be seen as protective MX gear, being marketed and sold as protective street gear. So are neck braces becoming the future of streetbike and road racing. What are your thoughts?

DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to riding gear

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Leatt makes on for sportbike racers/riders.

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #4
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

I am glad you posted this.

I know since 2009 there was a letter sent to Sport Rider (IIRC...or some other sportbike magazine) of a rider asking the exact same question you posed...how come there is no neck protection for street motorcycle riding but there is for offroad/dirt. The answer to the letter said that Alpinestars was developing a system but the answerer to the letter state something along the lines that rarely does someone crash head first (or something like that...I'll have to see if I can find)

What I can tell you is ever since I read that back in 2009 it peaked my interest.

I was living with my parents at the time and my neighbor who rides both street and dirt (mostly dirt) got in a conversation with me about trackdays. He asked if there was any neck protection and I told him not that I know of. He told me I could borrow one of his neck braces he uses for motorcross for track. When I tried it on (can't recall what brand it was he had) the back portion of the brace got in the way of my racesuit hump and was useless. I tried it with my jacket and the design of it was hindering my head movement for visibility.

Time passed and then I heard Leatt started developing one specifically for road use. Leatt is widely known in the MX world for their neck braces. I waited with baited breathe to get my hands on one.

However the airbag suits and vest stole my thunder. I bought an airbag vest from Safer Moto and tried it out on the track. I was not happy with it at all because the CO2 catridge would get caught on the upper lip of my gas tank and really hindered my body position when I used it with my D675 track bike. My girlfriend on the other hand liked hers on her SV650

I know of a handful of riders that actually use the airbag suits/vests...including my girlfriend with great success. Unfortunately...one of my friends who has an airbag vest that has used it before...her most recent crash the airbag vest did not deploy in her last crash. Her last crash was a fast one. FORTUNATELY, she was not hurt.

That right there got me kinda thinking about "What if" the airbag does not deploy like how it didn't deploy for my friends. To this day I am still trying to figure out why....the safety leash pulled with a lot of force...maybe air slowly leaked out of the CO2 cartridge because it didn't puncture and seal properly with the airbag vest mechanism? Maybe a dud CO2 cartridge. Regardless, it was enough for me to think of another alternative.

Finally, about a couple months ago I got my hands on a Leatt STX brace with the primary use for track. It took a good amount of time to get it to fit properly (best to fit it with the gear you will be racing/riding in)..but if you want it to work right you need to make it fit right...this isn't a rush job.

Not only does this brace minimize neck injuries, but also the common broken collarbone due to your own helmet injury also. I know immediately sold.

I got to test it out finally at my first race last month. I am very satisfied with it and it doesnt interfere with my field of vision when in a race position on my Ninja 250.

I got to do some endurance testing on the track putting around 10-15 laps to see if somehow fatigue with it on would creep up. Nope...I don't even notice I have the brace on at all.

Realizing that I would more likely be more prone to a neck injury on the street than the track in the event of an off, I decided to start wearing my Leatt STX neck brace on the street also. I commute everyday to work on my bike.

So my Leatt STX neck brace gets HEAVY use.

Im not sure if the OP posted the same video, but Leatt actually came up with a 17 minute video that scientifically explains their neck brace technology. If I can find it I will post it up.

If ANYONE has any questions about the Leatt STX brace, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask me or PM me. I encourage to post on here since I think its worth public knowledge/opinion

EDIT: Here is the educational/scientific video about the Leatt Neck Braces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD6-NDswsdk
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
wow its expensive, i want one though... http://www.ridersdiscount.com/Fly-Ra.../dp/B00ANTW97A

hey matt, how long does it take to put on? you just slip it over and put your helmet on right?

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
wow its expensive, i want one though... http://www.ridersdiscount.com/Fly-Ra.../dp/B00ANTW97A

hey matt, how long does it take to put on? you just slip it over and put your helmet on right?
Alex, the one you posted is an MX one. Here's the one you want:

http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/...08_a_7c5296071

Its expensive yes, but IMO...its cheaper than a hospital bill

It doesn't take me long at all to put it on. I did spend a good time with adjusting and practicing removing and putting it on so it was just like normal habit when I finally got to the track.

Here's how I put mine on. Luckily for me, my head can slip right through the opening. When I have my race suit on, I actually use my eyes to look up so I keep my head level. I slip it on and then put on my helmet...easy as that.

To take it off, I just use the red switch on one of the slides and pull the brace apart...it will pivot on the attached red switch/clip side. Once its off, I clip it back all together and place it on my bike on so I don't forget to put it on.

I'm all about movement efficiency.

The KEY thing about this is making sure you fit it properly. At first I thought it was no good but turns I adjusted it out too small. The kit includes different brackets to adjust it as needed for you. You also get this piece of cardboard shape like an L that you need to use to make sure the clearance between the brace and helmet is right.

Also, when I ordered mine I could not see the sizing. I actually called Leatt and asked for the size I needed. To my surprise I needed a LG/XL!!!. Thank goodness I called because I was about to order the S/M. I gave the lady over the phone my measurements, weight, height, etc.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Blystr842
Venom Sponsored

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R x2 (his & hers), 05 Honda CRF250R

coming from motocross, i wondered why there wasn't neck protection for street.
i thought about buying a motocross leatt brace but now i know there are braces made for street purpose, ill have to look into them. thanks blue

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you still wear a back protector under your suit right? then this is over the suit?

i think i will buy one for next round... too late for this round.

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #9
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

safermoto.com

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #10
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you still wear a back protector under your suit right? then this is over the suit?

i think i will buy one for next round... too late for this round.
Yep, ever since my last crash I started thinking really serious about my safety. And prior to that to other people's standards my standards for safety were pretty damn high.

I have yet to find a race suit that uses d3o armor instead of the traditional foam surrounding hard plastic. Ive know about d3o for almost 5 years now and it seems all applications for it are catching on except motorcycles.

So yes, I do wear a back protector under my suit. The neck brace slips over the suit.

The back and chest protector I have is also some really cool stuff.

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #11
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6boater View Post
I have the same thing also...know a friend where her's didn't deploy on her crash (its mentioned in my first post)

Old February 15th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #12
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
I have the same thing also...know a friend where her's didn't deploy on her crash (its mentioned in my first post)

Ah, first post... tldr sorry

Old February 15th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
Leatt makes on for sportbike racers/riders.

Leatt STX Neck Brace Review at RevZilla.com

DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #14
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I saw STG do a review a few months back on the Leatt, here's the videos...

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thank you very much, Blue and Matt; great posts !!!

I hope the price will go down with time and more street riders will be able to make regular use of this effective protective gear.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2015, 08:41 AM   #16
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I know this thread has been dead for 2 years... but does anyone have any experience with these neck protectors? I want to start upgrading my gear and buy a dedicated spine protector, and possibly a neck protector. Just trying to see how necessary you think this may be.

There's also a close-out sale on Revzilla for one of these for $225 not a bad price. Well worth the price if it saves you from paralysis or even death.

Old August 1st, 2015, 03:05 PM   #17
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I would totally sport that....as well as this......

Still trying to figure out how to fab this myself, Definitely would come in handy at lights and on interstate

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2015, 10:06 PM   #18
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I would totally sport that....as well as this......

Still trying to figure out how to fab this myself, Definitely would come in handy at lights and on interstate

Get an Arduino, some conductive thread to sew into your clothes, lighting of your choice (id go either Neopixels or EL wire), and id see if i could find a magnetic plug i could use to easily attach and detach it from and to the bke with. Oh and youd need a voltage regulator. The buttons would be annoying and im out of creative juice atm lol.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2015, 07:48 PM   #19
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Get an Arduino, some conductive thread to sew into your clothes, lighting of your choice (id go either Neopixels or EL wire), and id see if i could find a magnetic plug i could use to easily attach and detach it from and to the bke with. Oh and youd need a voltage regulator. The buttons would be annoying and im out of creative juice atm lol.
I have been doing some reading on the Arduino Mini pro boards and lilypad leds. I do believe i have found my winter project. I will take pics as I go to try and post something for the wiki.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown

Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:48 PM   #20
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
I have been doing some reading on the Arduino Mini pro boards and lilypad leds. I do believe i have found my winter project. I will take pics as I go to try and post something for the wiki.
Ive got an arduino micro you can have if its got enough ports. You just pay shipping
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2015, 10:30 PM   #21
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
back on topic, how easily can you turn your head with a contraption like that?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 10th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #22
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Ive got an arduino micro you can have if its got enough ports. You just pay shipping
about to move to another state. i will prob contact you in the future though about it. looks like 2 boards are needed for just the turn signals. 8 ports on each side. I mainly want to do brakes lights, possibly on my backpack since it would cover up lights on the jacket. looks like a fun project, plus will learn a bit more on electrical components and circuits

Also sorry for jacking thread once again @DaBlue1

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:59 AM   #23
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
back on topic, how easily can you turn your head with a contraption like that?
The videos give the impression it's pretty easy. I'd love to try one, but I'm not sure I'll decide to drop the money while the revzilla closeout is going on, and I definitely don't plan to try it out at full price.

Quote:
8 ports on each side. I mainly want to do brakes lights, possibly on my backpack since it would cover up lights on the jacket. looks like a fun project, plus will learn a bit more on electrical components and circuits
Look up Charlieplexing. I had no problem running 20 individual LEDs from a 5 port board. You really shouldn't need two for this project. I'd also suggest you buy the ebay non-branded/knockoff boards. The actual ICs on the board are the same, they work (in my experience and many others), and they're massively cheaper - like a couple bucks per board.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:20 AM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I got to borrow a Leatt STX-RR brace for one session at a track day this year (it's the version specifically for the track, which allows greater range of motion to accommodate a racing body position).

I didn't even know it was there most of the time. It was never an issue. At about $600 for the STX-RR (a lot more than the lower models) I don't have the coin for one right now, but I'm sure I'll wind up buying one in the future.

I have it on good authority that all other versions get in the way of moving your head if you ride a supersport. But for a Ninjette with its more upright ergos, I expect the road versions (vs. the motocross versions) would be just fine.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:39 AM   #25
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Definitely in my wish list.