ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 6th, 2022, 07:13 PM   #1
blanzer
ninjette.org member

Name: Nicholas

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Hit a bump and now bike won’t start…

Hello all,

So to start, I took a little spill yesterday morning. Picked the bike up, started right up, and rode all day no problems. I mention it only because I think it may be related. Then rode a few hours today, and hit a bump in the intersection, and I saw the rpm’s go out of whack(needle jumped around) and then it bogged and died. Couldn’t start it again, and tried bump starting and didn’t work. I walked it to a parking spot, and tried searching for answers and came up with checking the tip over sensor. Messed with it. Nothing seemed off. Tried to start and it started back up. Then when I rode off there was another bump (horrible roads in my area) and it immediately did the same thing. Going to take it apart right now, but I didn’t notice any loose wires or anything amiss. It cranks but just won’t turn over. So I’m completely baffled. Any ideas?

Edit: No tip over sensor I confused it for the ECU lol

Last futzed with by blanzer; November 6th, 2022 at 08:49 PM.
blanzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2022, 07:48 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I think you're on the right track. One of the safety sensors may be wonky, and now has a loose wire or is internally broken. Another thing to check is the tightness of the bolts in the battery itself, firmly holding the battery cables. Make sure they are tightened with a socket wrench, not just a screwdriver.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2022, 08:27 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
eh? There's no tip-over sensor...

Yup, measure interloc safety switches:

- clutch switch
- neutral switch (does it light green on dash?)
- side-stand switch

BTW - how did bike impact on your spill? Left side? Right-side? Front-end?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2022, 08:45 PM   #4
blanzer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
eh? There's no tip-over sensor...

Yup, measure interloc safety switches:

- clutch switch
- neutral switch (does it light green on dash?)
- side-stand switch

BTW - how did bike impact on your spill? Left side? Right-side? Front-end?
Lmao I just realized I read the wrong forum post about that. Confused the ECU box with it. They just said it was a black box so I assumed that was it haha. I’ve done almost all maintenance on this bike but the electronics always are a mystery to me lol. That’s black magic territory.

Clutch switch I just changed. I’ll double check it. Wouldn’t it start in neutral though otherwise?
Neutral switch is fine.
Side stand switch could be wonky. I’ve been having a feeling about it for awhile now. Also should start if in neutral tho no? Or at least with the clutch in?

Bike fell on the right side.

Old November 6th, 2022, 08:47 PM   #5
blanzer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think you're on the right track. One of the safety sensors may be wonky, and now has a loose wire or is internally broken. Another thing to check is the tightness of the bolts in the battery itself, firmly holding the battery cables. Make sure they are tightened with a socket wrench, not just a screwdriver.
I’ve never tightened with a socket so may have to try that but it didn’t seem like a battery issue otherwise it should started up as it was cranking just fine. I also did try bump starting again afterwards and i did hear it turn over but not for a second. Tried again and with some gas but nothing.

Old November 6th, 2022, 11:19 PM   #6
blanzer
ninjette.org member

Update: one of the connections to one of the spark plugs was unplugged 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️ i thought it was that and checked but didn’t see it. Yikes