ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

The 650 just got a brother!

I couldn't stop myself.... When I bought my new Ninja 650 the dealership was advertising a Buell Firebolt. It was gone by the time I got there and I left with the 650 - which I love and have no regrets buying. I ended up reading some more about the Firebolts and really wanted one. So, here it is, a 2003. It has a few upgrades done and it's been well cared for. It's got a 984 cc V-twin - basically a modified Harley engine. The aluminum frame is actually the fuel tank and the swing arm (left side) holds the engine oil. It's air and oil cooled. It shakes like a Harley at idle. It's loud too - not quite as loud as a Harley with an open pipe setup but almost. It is a blast to ride! The power comes on very smooth and there is plenty of it. It's so torquey that it's not fussy about downshifts. The riding position is a bit aggressive. I'd probably opt for my 650 on a long trip. I got it from a guy about an hour's ride a way on the freeway. It was extremely smooth and stable at freeway speeds (80-ish) - even a bit more than the 650. This is one fun bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-2.jpg (98.8 KB, 61 views)
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Whats with the ugly bike as your avatar still???
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGuy View Post
I couldn't stop myself.... When I bought my new Ninja 650 the dealership was advertising a Buell Firebolt. It was gone by the time I got there and I left with the 650 - which I love and have no regrets buying. I ended up reading some more about the Firebolts and really wanted one. So, here it is, a 2003. It has a few upgrades done and it's been well cared for. It's got a 984 cc V-twin - basically a modified Harley engine. The aluminum frame is actually the fuel tank and the swing arm (left side) holds the engine oil. It's air and oil cooled. It shakes like a Harley at idle. It's loud too - not quite as loud as a Harley with an open pipe setup but almost. It is a blast to ride! The power comes on very smooth and there is plenty of it. It's so torquey that it's not fussy about downshifts. The riding position is a bit aggressive. I'd probably opt for my 650 on a long trip. I got it from a guy about an hour's ride a way on the freeway. It was extremely smooth and stable at freeway speeds (80-ish) - even a bit more than the 650. This is one fun bike!
Looks good! These bikes are interesting. Not your same 'ole, same 'ole, that's for sure!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
those are wicked bikes. I love them!!! Buddy has one. TORQUE MONSTER!!

here's his:

no comments about Blaire. She's a good friend of mine!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #5
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

more pics of Blaire...
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
bring her to mid-o i will show her my mustache
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh goodness... That was the only picture I could find of my buddy's Buell, so focus on the bike, not Blaire!!

I'm never posting pictures of my girlfriend on here.

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

I'm never posting pictures of my girlfriend on here.

I am pretty sure you already have in a different thread.

Ohh, and more pics of Blaire!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
oh right, I did...

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #10
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

That's a nice picture! Yep, that looks like an XB9.... could be an XB12. The 9 has a 984cc twin and the 12 has a 1204. From what I've read, the 12 obviously has more torque and HP, but believe me, the 984 engine is more than enough. It gets the bike up to freeway speed pretty fast but it's more like a big-block muscle car from the 60's because it's a big old-fashion engine in a performance body. I've never ridden a supersport, but I'm sure that would be a totally different riding experience compared to the Buell. I'm a car guy too. I just got on a Buell forum also and it turns out a lot of those guys have modded Mustangs too.

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Wait... there's a bike in that picture? What?

(Your honor, in my own defense I must point out that I did not comment on the attractive young lady in question, only on the perceived lack of a motorcycle.)
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's an XB9. It's a fantastic bike you've both got there

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM   #13
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

It's funny how it worked out. I was all set - at least in my own mind - to buy the other Firebolt and keep the 250. I ended up with a new 650 AND a Firebolt. The best of both worlds you could say. I was thinking that having two bikes is excessive, but it seems like that more the norm! There's a few things I'm going to do to the Firebolt- rear turn signals (the under tail ones might as well not even be there.... it's an aftermarket kit), possibly better brake lights, maybe front turn signal cause I don't like the aftermarket ones on there and lastly I think I want to repaint it. The paint job it has is actually very good. It obviously wasn't a rattle can job, but I'm just not feeling the love. I just learned that the fairings/body panels where originally molded in color - not painted. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you can find new old stock plastics for it - everything out there is off parted out bikes and can be pretty pricey. So, if I want to change the color scheme, probably the best thing to do is take the plastics off and take to a professional to have them properly repainted. They're in good shape, but there is quite a bit of paint on them that will need to be sanded off. When I have some time I'm going to get some estimates.

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM   #14
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Whats with the ugly bike as your avatar still???
And, yeah, I know I need to update my avatar - I'll do that right after my next photo shoot!

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM   #15
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
more pics of Blaire...
moar ginger chic

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

sweet bike Mustangguy

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Great bike man! I love the wheels on it. Definitely a nice bike if you want to get noticed.

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM   #18
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

If nothing more, the sound will draw attention. It's pretty loud. People probably think it's a Harley until they see it. Right now I'm thinking of a bright metallic blue paint job. I think the natural aluminum frame and natural (no finish) wheels along with the double "Buell" decals on the air filter cover (fake gas tank) would look really sharp. Most of these bikes have powder coated wheels in blue, red or yellow and some have the aluminum painted flat black. I like the aluminum unpainted and I don't think I'm interested in going through the expense and work of removing the wheels for powder coating, so I'm trying to think of paint schemes that will go with silver/aluminum accents.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:27 AM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Get it just like my buddy's bike!! he's got the bare aluminum wheels and frame as well. Looks really great in that blue color.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM   #20
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I think blue goes well with the bare aluminum. I was looking around on the internet and it's really hard to get a good set of original plastics. It would be nice to have an unmolested set, but I have yet to find all the fairings in the same color and undamaged. I think it will definitely be cheaper to have mine repainted.

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #21
FroggyGreenInSD
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250, 12 Ninja 650 (also green, it's the fastest color!)

If you haven't already, check out American Sport Bike online. They specialize in Buell stuff, aftermarket and OEM, and are right here in SoCal. The owner is a buddy of mine and a long time Buell rider.

Old May 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #22
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyGreenInSD View Post
If you haven't already, check out American Sport Bike online. They specialize in Buell stuff, aftermarket and OEM, and are right here in SoCal. The owner is a buddy of mine and a long time Buell rider.
I sure did - fantastic service! I had a good sized order and it came in less than 48 hours. The email confirming the order was from an actual person too - Al. I was very impressed. I need a few more things so I will definitely be ordering from them again.

The bike's electrical system has a bit of a charging issue. It turns out that this is a very common problem on the earlier models. I'm pretty sure I've isolated it to a bad connector that should have been replaced years ago with a different style one that was a running change. I'm just waiting for a special crimping tool that I bought before I can fix that.

On the fun side, I ordered all new carbon fiber body panels - a complete set. I've seen a few Firebolts on the web that were converted to all carbon fiber and they look awesome. I was excited about picking a color and getting the original plastics painted, but decided to do the carbon fiber instead. I'll still have the originals if I ever want a change.

Next up is the tires. They look like they have a good amount of life left in them but they don't feel as sticky as the ones on my new 650. The steering and responsiveness are both quite a bit quicker than the Ninja's so I want tires that I don't have to wonder about.

I love my 650, but this Firebolt is a really fun bike!

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #23
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Dude, your friend has a sweet ride! Bike looks nice, too!

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM   #24
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Awesome Buell! I'll probably get one as my next bike, they look so good.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hummina hummina hi purrty bike