Notices

Old October 25th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Tioga Pass - CA 120

As long as the weather is going to be this nice, I'm going to take advantage of it.

So, at the beginning of the week, I checked to make sure playing hooky today wasn't going to mess anyone up. I had a plan to check out one of the few Sierra passes I have yet to explore.

From Wiki: Tioga Pass (el. 9,943 ft. / 3,031 m.) is a mountain pass in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. State Route 120 runs through it, and serves as the eastern entry point for Yosemite National Park, at the Tioga Pass Entrance Station. It is the highest highway pass in California and in the Sierra Nevada.

As an FYI, $10 to go through the park. Only glad to pay it since the park visitor count was hit by both the Rim Fire and the shutdown.

The ride west was meh, mostly due to RVs and slow cars just cruising through the park rather than pulling over to admire the scenery. Speaking of which, OMG WHY did it take me so long to get down to this park?? ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL place! Amazing mountains and bright blue lakes all over the place. Wow!

120 is a much easier road than I imagined compared with the other passes over the Sierra. So nice in fact that I finally did notice the power drop around 8500 feet. Only about half way through did the permafrost damage to the road become evident and the bike spent several miles going bumpity bump over the repairs.

However, the return trip was SWEET! I headed through in the late afternoon and so NO ONE was on the road ahead of me, which meant I was able to maintain the speed limit all the way from the west entrance to the east entrance! Big long sweepers in the park, and coming down the mountain to Lee Vining again was a perfect treat for a sport bike.

Highly recommend the road, though do go when you have time to take advantage of all the pull offs to simply admire Nature's masterpiece. Such a treasure we have and one I will definitely be going back to.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2
JosueDG
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawi Ninja 300

Yosemite is a beautiful park! I was just here in the beginning of October but in my car. Hopefully one day I'll make it out on my bike.

If you are ever in that area again, check out June Lake Loop and Mammoth Lakes Scenic Route. Both are nice rides under 20 minutes each. You can also check out Wawona Rd to Mariposa Grove.
JosueDG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Awesome! So jelly. Yosemite is on my bucket list for hiking and MTB if lowed. I guess I never considered it on motorcycle!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosueDG View Post
Yosemite is a beautiful park! I was just here in the beginning of October but in my car. Hopefully one day I'll make it out on my bike.

If you are ever in that area again, check out June Lake Loop and Mammoth Lakes Scenic Route. Both are nice rides under 20 minutes each. You can also check out Wawona Rd to Mariposa Grove.
I'll definitely be back with more time to explore. All I did was stay on 120 so I didn't get to see any real portion of the park. Now that I know how close it really is, I will return to fully see what Nature has created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Awesome! So jelly. Yosemite is on my bucket list for hiking and MTB if lowed. I guess I never considered it on motorcycle!
It's one of those places that I always thought was "so far away!" But yesterday realized that I could get to the highway and back easily. I really want to go to Yosemite now, since I figure passing through on a main highway isn't "going" to the park (I equated it with "going" to the Grand Canyon by flying over it). I need to remember to pack my little National Park passport book since I have now been to several on the bike. Aw shucks, more adventures needed.

Old January 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Finally going through my camera and saw I never made the video for this.

Link to original page on YouTube.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote