Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:04 AM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Name: Ioben

Motorcycle(s): 83' KZ750L3, 84' FJ1100, 94' VT600C, 07' K1200S, 09' EX250J

My track journey...

I got the opportunity yesterday, to shakedown the 250 and ride for the 1st time on a track. Wow, it's a lot of work and thank God I had a buddy coaching me! I (like many first timers) thought track riding would be a cake walk... I was wrong. I have SO much to work on, but nonetheless, I had a BLAST!

Pardon the shaky video... I forgot to turn on the stabilizer setting on the GoPro. It's mounted on my buddies bike. First 3 laps, he's showing me the lines and then he let's me go, but then he reels me in and has to show me the lines again, every so often. Like I said, this is my first time on a track. I also bought second-hand leathers off CL that are WAY too big for me, so I was in my head thinking I didn't want to touch the ground because I didn't know if I was going to rub my pucks, or leather. Regardless, it was a really fun day! Track was wet in some spots too, as you'll see in the video.

Link to original page on YouTube.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:35 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great video! Looks like you worked your but off but had fun doing it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:52 AM   #3
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Great video! Looks like you worked your but off but had fun doing it.
I feel like I was lifting cars off of kids all day yesterday... my legs are toasted today

Old May 24th, 2021, 07:06 PM   #4
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
I feel like I was lifting cars off of kids all day yesterday... my legs are toasted today
Get used to that feeling at kart tracks! I love heading to the kart tracks on these smaller bikes.

keep up the good work.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2021, 09:19 PM   #5
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBraap View Post
Get used to that feeling at kart tracks! I love heading to the kart tracks on these smaller bikes.

keep up the good work.
It's addicting! I love the pain because I know I'm having so much fun!

Old August 1st, 2021, 09:31 PM   #6
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

My buddy and I went back to the same kart track and tried to beat the heat... boy was it a scorcher out there today! Last 5 minutes is my buddy on his supermoto, rippin' it!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 2nd, 2021, 07:46 AM   #7
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

I just did my first kart track about a month ago and it was fantastic, it looks very similar to your videos. What a great way to practice and work on those skills! Hitting the apex, working on lines, experimenting with lean angles, and braking, it's all good. It looks like you guys are having a great time.
I rode a drz400 with slicks but it was such a good experience it inspired me to set up my Dad's first gen Ninjette for the kart track. I'm probably 15 minutes from a suitable track, or a half-hour from the one I tried last month.
Keep having fun, it sure looks like a blast

Old August 2nd, 2021, 09:43 AM   #8
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Yesterday was my 1st time using my knee as a "feeler"... I gotta admit, it was nice knowing how much space I had before touching hard parts. I felt my foot touch a few times, but I picked up a little when that happened and escaped dragging anything else. I'm super excited to experience more instructions from my mentor and getting more seat time. Kart tracks are so awesome!

Old August 10th, 2021, 08:56 AM   #9
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Yesterday was my 1st time using my knee as a "feeler"... I gotta admit, it was nice knowing how much space I had before touching hard parts. I felt my foot touch a few times, but I picked up a little when that happened and escaped dragging anything else. I'm super excited to experience more instructions from my mentor and getting more seat time. Kart tracks are so awesome!
May I just suggest something that might help with your riding and how tired you are feeling? (I'm a coach with the California Superbike School). If you take a look at how many times you are moving around on the bike you can see that you move a lot. Each time you move on the bike there is input into the bars, it wiggles a little bit and you use up precious energy. Do you think there might be places that you could eliminate how often you move on the bike? Is it necessary to sit in the middle of the seat anywhere on this small track or could you reduce a lot of your body movements by going directly from one side of the bike to the other?

Here is a video of me riding at the Ridge Motorsports park during lunch hour with a fellow coach following me. Take a look at how little I move my body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZy1T32DRc
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2021, 09:02 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
I gotta admit, it was nice knowing how much space I had before touching hard parts.
I feel the same way. Once my knee is on the pavement I feel more relaxed and in control. I'm not saying I don't feel in control before that, but it adds a level of confidence.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2021, 06:44 PM   #11
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
May I just suggest something that might help with your riding and how tired you are feeling? (I'm a coach with the California Superbike School). If you take a look at how many times you are moving around on the bike you can see that you move a lot. Each time you move on the bike there is input into the bars, it wiggles a little bit and you use up precious energy. Do you think there might be places that you could eliminate how often you move on the bike? Is it necessary to sit in the middle of the seat anywhere on this small track or could you reduce a lot of your body movements by going directly from one side of the bike to the other?

Here is a video of me riding at the Ridge Motorsports park during lunch hour with a fellow coach following me. Take a look at how little I move my body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZy1T32DRc
Very impressive! You were really smooth and you were booking it!

I would love to eventually get to your level. I only have one official track day under my belt, followed by 2 private track days at a small go-kart track. My 1st track day was a full immersion experience, but I felt it was a bit premature, because I wasn't even familiar with my bike, or comfortable on it yet... not to mention, the suspension really needs tuning because it is SUPER stiff with little to no rebound in it.

The two times I've been to the go-kart track, I made huge improvements with getting familiar with my bike (mainly the GP shifting) and gaining confidence in the tires. My next big goal, is to learn the lines! I plan on slowing it way down and focusing on following the lines exactly and working on my body positioning.

I will definitely work on making less movements. I really think that once I get the lines down, I will save a lot of energy by not having to perform extra work to get the bike where it needs to be.

Old August 10th, 2021, 06:48 PM   #12
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I feel the same way. Once my knee is on the pavement I feel more relaxed and in control. I'm not saying I don't feel in control before that, but it adds a level of confidence.
I had so much anxiety about dragging knee before. I really didn't know how much friction to expect and it really mind **** me. After I finally experienced the full drag, I felt a huge weight of stress leave me... it truly did inspire more confidence in my opinion.

Old August 10th, 2021, 06:51 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
I had so much anxiety about dragging knee before. I really didn't know how much friction to expect and it really mind **** me. After I finally experienced the full drag, I felt a huge weight of stress leave me... it truly did inspire more confidence in my opinion.
What's funny is when you drag a puck when you're not expecting it. It's a little startling. It sometimes happens to me when I'm on the Dragon just trying to ride smoothly but not pushing it. All of a sudden "cchhhssh".
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2021, 04:35 AM   #14
petrolhead
ninjette.org member

Name: Jarno

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

You'll go very quickly in to NOT trying to put knee down. They wear quickly and cost money.
petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote