ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
th3cavalry
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Ninja 250

1993 250 gas/oil mix sprayed into airbox?

I just got a 250. The guy told me there was a gas leave. Upon further investigation, there is a gas/oil mix being sprayed into the airbox via the tube in the picture located here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00000108102173

does anybody have any ideas? i think thats the cankcase breather tube, and knowing car engines, nothing should be sprayed thru this tube.

It does it above 6k+ RPM
th3cavalry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #2
kkim

yes, that's the crankcase breather tube.

is your engine oil level at the correct height in the sight glass?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3
th3cavalry
ninjette.org newbie

at this second idk, i will take a look when i get out of class. have any other rough ideas? even if oil is a little high, why is there gas coming from it also? i will check the oil also and see if there is gas mixed in the oil.

Old October 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #4
kkim

how do you know gas is already mixed with the oil that's in your crankcase? if you're going from what you find in the airbox, there's always gas already in the airbox to some degree. perhaps what you're seeing is a gas/oil mixture in the airbox from crankcase oil being blown into the airbox and mixing with the gas already there?

Old October 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #5
th3cavalry
ninjette.org newbie

i took the airbox off and ran it with the tube disconnected, and it was gas/oil mix coming right out of the tube. there is also a very small amount of smoke from the exhaust

Old October 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #6
kkim

if it is indeed a gas/oil mixture in the crankcase, I highly suggest you do an oil/filter change ASAP. Gas can get into the crankcase if the float valve in the carbs do not seat/close properly and allows gas to rise in the carbs and overflow down into the cylinders, past the rings and into the crankcase.

you would see a rise in your oil level in the sight glass, which was the reason for my original question.

also, oil can be blown up that crankcase vent if the crankcase is overfilled with oil.

my gut feeling is that your bike was overfilled during an oil change done by someone who didn't know how to properly fill the bike with oil.

Old October 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #7
th3cavalry
ninjette.org newbie

i will change it asap. if gas gets passed the rings, a rebuild is in store correct? i know the carbs need rebuild, because the bike will only run in choke. but as for getting it started, i lost my set of keys and only had one key, so i need to change out all the locks.

whats the proper way to remove the ingnition cylinder without tearing anything up? the handlebars are also locked on the bike

this motor is also a wet clutch correct?

Old October 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #8
kkim

no rebuild needed. just don't run the bike until the oil has been changed, then fix the carbs.

but again, are you sure the PO just didn't overfill the bike w/ oil? you're making a lot of assumptions here unless you are positive it's gas in the oil.

you need to get/find a service manual for your bike to work on it properly.

Old October 25th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #9
th3cavalry
ninjette.org newbie

i work on cars, but new to bikes. im positive it was a gas oil mix. smelled like gas, and was the substance of oil, just a tad bit lighter and thinner.

Old October 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #10
th3cavalry
ninjette.org newbie

I will be removing the carbs tomorrow and following the carb cleaning guide on ninja250.org

i will also check the sight glass.

If there is gas mixed with the oil what should I do with it? I have never had this issue with a car...

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #11
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

As far as disposal, any oil change place should take it no problem. Their oil tanks are ventilated so the volatiles will evaporate away anyway. There won't be much.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #12
th3cavalry
ninjette.org newbie

i actually recycle my own oil. i have a bunch of 2 stroke and small mower motor powered toys, so i resue oil in them.(iv got about 4 lawnmower motors, 5 weedeaters, and a few riding mower motors). ill put the motor on something and play till it blows up, then scrap the block lol