ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #1
44chart
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja EX250

Oil rapidly filling airbox, won't run without choke.

Hi everyone!

I am a new member and have read similar posts but need some help. I bought a 2003 Ninja 250 that has not been started for a couple of years. It was winterized and stored with about 5,000 miles on the bike. I drained and filled the tank with new gas, changed the oil, checked the plugs, fluids, gas filter, etc. Bike started pretty easily but would not run without choke. Decided to take it for a ride on a somewhat warm day with the choke on about half way and about half a can of seafoam in the tank. As the engine warmed up oil started to run out of the airbox very rapidly. I immediately went home, still needed choke on. Assuming that the engine was starving for fuel, I checked all the hoses, tank, removed inline fuel filter, and tested petcock. All seemed fine to me. Still had the problem so I pulled the carbs and replaced the main jet, pilot jet, needle, float, and ring gasket. Under the black cover, all looked good. I was careful to reassemble the clean carb correctly. Unfortunately I still cannot run without choke. I disconnected the crankcase overflow from the airbox to watch for oil and as soon as the engine revs at all, oil literally pours out of the hose.

I can't think of anything else to do except test valves, rings etc. I'm not sure how to do that, so would like to see if there is anything else I may have missed before bringing the bike in to the nearest $80 an hour shop. Any suggestions?
44chart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

How much oil did you put in the motor sounds like you put way to much
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #3
44chart
ninjette.org member

I think I did over fill a little but not more than a half a quart. The problem is, no matter how much I oil I put in, it will literally drain it all out of the overflow hose when the motor is hot.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
kkim

how are you checking your oil level?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
44chart
ninjette.org member

I started out by draining the oil, replaceing the filter, and watching the window on the crankase with the bike sitting level. I had a bottle with 4 quarts of 10w-40 and estimate that the first time, I put in just a little over half (two quarts). I can literally watch two quarts of oil run through the hose in 5 minutes and the little round window goes from full to empty.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44chart View Post
I think I did over fill a little but not more than a half a quart. The problem is, no matter how much I oil I put in, it will literally drain it all out of the overflow hose when the motor is hot.
thats alot for that bike. make sure you are holding the bike strait up not on the middle stand and that u look at the sight glass and it is not filling the whole glass.

Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #7
kkim

how does the bike run? starts okay?

have you pulled the plugs?

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #8
44chart
ninjette.org member

Bike idles great with choke on about half way, until you twist the throttle. Too much throttle and rpms go down instead of up.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #9
44chart
ninjette.org member

I checked the plugs before the first time running the bike but not since the carb rebuild. Plugs were pretty clean and gapped correctly.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #10
kkim

you might have a leaking main crank seal. As far as I know, that's the only way the crankcase can get pressurized enough to push oil out the crankcase overflow tube if you have the correct amount of oil in the engine.

how about your cooling system??? any oil in your radiator or water mixed with your crankcase oil?

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #11
44chart
ninjette.org member

You might be right on that. Radiator looks normal but I noticed some light brown bubbly or foamy residue in the leaking oil at first. I wonder if that is coolant. I assumed it was a little gas/blowby mixture. So if that's the case, I would have to pull the jugs. How would I confirm that is the problem?

BTW, thank you so much for your help!

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #12
kkim

well, if you have coolant in your crankcase oil, I know this seems odd, but count your blessings as it doesn't sound like a leaking crankshaft seal is the problem.

Confirm you coolant leak suspicions by draining and refilling the oil and recheck the oil for continued leaking coolant. Leaking coolant into crankcase will usually make the crank oil look like chocolate milk. If it persists, tracking down the leak source is the next step. Most times it's the head gasket leaking. You might want to try and check the head bolts for proper tightness.

has the bike ever been overheated due to lack of coolant?

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
I started out by draining the oil, replaceing the filter, and watching the window on the crankase with the bike sitting level. I had a bottle with 4 quarts of 10w-40 and estimate that the first time, I put in just a little over half (two quarts). I can literally watch two quarts of oil run through the hose in 5 minutes and the little round window goes from full to empty.
If the engine is running, you will not see oil in the sight glass. Start with the oil at the lower level of the sight glass with the bike off the center stand.. if your oil if being pushed out the breather tube with force, your oil pump may be clogged or the filter may be clogged. I noticed you said, "I drained and filled the tank with new gas, changed the oil, checked the plugs, fluids, gas filter, etc." Does the etc. include oil filter?
Being that you have an older bike, the last thing would be blowby. You may have some piston ring damage. The piston rings are no longer effectively sealing the combustion chamber. Combustion gases are leaking past them, pressurizing the crankcase. This can cause some problems; seals leak, gaskets fail and, because the pistons are forced to compress the excess air on the downstroke, horsepower can be lost, but not necessarily right away. Checking the cylinder compression will tell you if the rings are bad.
If you are having that much oil come thru the filter, no doubt some of it is being sucked back thru the carbs. If you see whitish or grayish, milky looking foam or film in the oil, oil cap or sight glass, chances are you have a coolant leak or water in the oil.
From what you are saying about throttle response as well as the oil problem would indicate some bad valves, cylinder or ring problems. All of it is definitely something to have looked at by a dealer if you can not do it your self.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
just a tidbit of info. The manual says the bike needs between 1.6 and 1.9 liters of oil. 1.9 liters = barely less than 2 quarts
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #15
44chart
ninjette.org member

Thank you all again for the great tips! The bike has not overheated to the best of my knowledge. Yes I did replace the oil filter, but didn't check the oil pump.

If it is internal, I might swap engines with my parts bike. But it is even older than this one so I would like to rule out all other options before bringing it in for a compression check.

Let me ask this...if there was coolant in the oil, meaning possibly a bad gasket somewhere, would that cause it to only run with the choke on? And stall when opening the throttle?

Also, I've read that when the bike is starving for gas, it will only run with the choke on, which creates pressure in the crank, causing the blowby or oil to shoot up the breather. It would be nice if were as easy as that but I can't seem to find any restricted gas flow.

I guess i'm coming to the conclusion that the first thing to rule out is the rings/low compression. If I can feel good pressure out my exhaust, would that mean my compression is good or do you really need to have it professionally measured?

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #16
kkim

when you had the carbs apart for cleaning and changed the jets, did you blow/clean out out the passages in the carb body as well???? (the passages the jets screw into)

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #17
44chart
ninjette.org member

I just sprayed carb cleaner in the passages, and blew out with compressed air.

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #18
kkim

and did you get any type of flow through them when you did that?

any smoke out the exhaust when the bike is running?

Old March 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #19
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:

Let me ask this...if there was coolant in the oil, meaning possibly a bad gasket somewhere, would that cause it to only run with the choke on? And stall when opening the throttle?

Also, I've read that when the bike is starving for gas, it will only run with the choke on, which creates pressure in the crank, causing the blowby or oil to shoot up the breather. It would be nice if were as easy as that but I can't seem to find any restricted gas flow.

I guess i'm coming to the conclusion that the first thing to rule out is the rings/low compression. If I can feel good pressure out my exhaust, would that mean my compression is good or do you really need to have it professionally measured?
Coolant in the oil will not affect the gas in the carb and exhaust pressure is not a measure of compression in the cylinders. They need to be measured.
If your carbs sat up for 2 years, they probably need to be completely taken apart and all the jets cleaned especially the pilot jet. If there was moisture in the cylinders, it is possible you could have some stuck rings. Hard to say without looking though. Getting the carbs in order first, is an easier first step in getting it running right
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #20
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Getting the carbs in order first, is an easier first step in getting it running right
I agree. it sounds like you have 2 unrelated problems.

Old March 28th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #21
44chart
ninjette.org member

Well I opened up the carb again, blew out everything including every hose. Opened up the needle too 2 1/2 instead of 2. Put it back together. Started it up and it up and after a cloud of smoke and a few sputters it started to run better. After a few minutes it was fixed. Thank you all so much for your help.

Old March 28th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #22
kkim

glad you got it fixed, but mind telling me what the problem was and what fixed it? I'm confused???

so, it now idles and runs great and you no longer have oil dumping out the crank vent tube?