ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

Name: Cullen

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Leather Jacket/Pants

Hey guys, I'm working on buying my gear right now as I'm preparing for the rider's course this Thur, Sat, and Sun. I've already managed to get some boots, gloves, and a helmet. I have a lightly used Harley leather jacket from my uncle that will suffice for the time being.

I am currently looking around at leather jackets and pants and wondering what would be the pros/cons between getting Dainese, A*, Rocket, Teknic, Icon, etc.

I for sure want to be able to zip them together (it seems like they don't always need to be the same brand in order to do this) and wouldn't mind getting different brands for either piece as long as they don't look terrible.

Thanks for any tips, pointers, or suggestions.
cullenjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:44 AM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I would say it really depends on how much money you have to spend. Dainese isn't really even in the same range as Rocket, icon, etc. I have a Joe Rocket jacket and it is pretty cheap. I have also demo'd friends' Icon and Bilt stuff and I personally feel that my Dainese gear was worth the price premium I paid for it. I'm not going to say that their stuff was bad gear, with the exception of the Bilt stuff I saw maybe. I was also not impressed with A*. The level of quality and fit/finish with Dainese is top notch. I've never seen anyone purchase something from Dainese and wish they hadn't.

I'll stop before I start sounding like too much of a fanboy, since there are people on here with a lot broader spectrum experiance than I have.

I will say that you don't need to rush and get anything else before your class. You will be able to complete it with what you currently have.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:53 AM   #3
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

I understand that you're just really satisfied with the gear, haha. I've been pretty torn between A*, Rocket, and Dainese. I'm trying to walk away with the pants and jacket for <$400.

I'm also looking to get some 3/4 boots for casual rides to and from work/school. I'm considering getting either the Shift Racing Fuels or the Kickers. Does anyone have any opinions on either or think there is a better 3/4 boot in the same $100 price range?

Old February 1st, 2012, 01:00 AM   #4
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Yeah, with that budget out of the three I would stick with A*, and I think you might have a little trouble even then. My jacket alone was almost double that Try checking craigslist. Sometimes you can find some good deals. I know Momaru had a nice blue/white Dainese suit for super cheap a little while ago.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenjames View Post
I understand that you're just really satisfied with the gear, haha. I've been pretty torn between A*, Rocket, and Dainese. I'm trying to walk away with the pants and jacket for <$400.

I'm also looking to get some 3/4 boots for casual rides to and from work/school. I'm considering getting either the Shift Racing Fuels or the Kickers. Does anyone have any opinions on either or think there is a better 3/4 boot in the same $100 price range?

I think if you really hunt around you can get pants and jacket for 400 on closeout somewhere.

As for the boots, I have a pair of the kickers and don't ever wear them anymore after getting my SMX-5 boots. They're barely tougher than normal shoes . Wearing boots to school doesnt sound fun but for work I keep a pair of shoes to change into under my desk.

Haven't bought anything here yet but people are getting some sweet deals, check this thread out.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ight=iron+pony
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

yeah try ironpony. or anywhere doing a closeout on A* (or anything for that matter) you can do it on that budget. Not closeout price? then you will be paying $400 just for a jacket. lol
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM   #7
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

I checked out the site, and depending on the color of my bike, I'll probably use that as a back up if I can't find anything less expensive on CL. Thanks for the tip. All their sizing is EUR specifications, right? Hoping they actually would have my size.

Old February 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM   #8
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenjames View Post
I checked out the site, and depending on the color of my bike, I'll probably use that as a back up if I can't find anything less expensive on CL. Thanks for the tip. All their sizing is EUR specifications, right? Hoping they actually would have my size.
lots of pants sizes, good luck on jackets :/
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #9
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Check out AGV Sport at RevZilla. I have a pair of Willow leather pants that I picked up for $170 a few months ago. The fit and finish are much nicer than anything Cycle Gear keeps on hand in the store. And they are very comfortable on the bike. They also make jackets that will zip to the pants.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote