ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Saw someone go down

Today I went riding with like 6 other bikes. I was 2nd in line and we were coming around a pretty sharp left hander with a truck pulling a trailer in the on coming lane. Of course he is already on the double yellow. I was close to the double yellow but not on it, enough to make me go o sheet and try to widen my turn.

I pushed the right handle bar and i guess because of the counter steering effect the bike first went more left and i scraped my peg. After that im thinking this truck is gonna make someone crash. I look in my mirror and see someone go down.

He said that he saw me wobble and stopped looking through the turn and looked at me, noticed he was going a bit wide and leaned a bit more. He then said that he ran over something like dirt or leaves and it made his tire slip out from under him like he was on ice. He was fine, almost all of us had suits on, he was one of them. The bike hit the guard rail but im not sure if he did or not. Lost his gear shift peg, front brakes, and just a lot of plastics were scraped and flown off.

I didnt have my gopro today because i kinda broke it yesterday. but he had his gopros but it was the first time ive met him and i probably wont be able to find it.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
A truck on the double yellow is very detrimental to motorcycles, I mean, its not like you have an entire lane or anything
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

God you're a huge dick. Lol.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Good that everyone is OK.

Priority in street blind turns is to see as far ahead as possible; everything else is secondary.

For left turns, we should stick to the right curb until we can see that it is safe going for that apex.

Sometimes conditions make us just follow the exterior radius all the curve until the end (no apex but no fall), nothing wrong with that.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

To the OP, glad you were able to react and glad the other rider was OK. What was the downed rider riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
A truck on the double yellow is very detrimental to motorcycles, I mean, its not like you have an entire lane or anything
Biggest TROLL on ninjette, rarely funny, consistently an asshole.
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Not trolling at all. Motorcyclists like to blame cars for being too close to the yellow line. You have an entire lane if you are hugging the double yellow and aren't ready for a car coming around that blind corner then its your own fault. You want to ride the twisties like a track you better be ready for the obstacles that are associated with it and not blame an accident on "A car that was too close to the double yellow"
AFM #676

Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:

Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:23 PM   #8
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post
To the OP, glad you were able to react and glad the other rider was OK. What was the downed rider riding?

JIGGLES

Agree!
:thumbup ::thumbu p:
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM   #9
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Not trolling at all. Motorcyclists like to blame cars for being too close to the yellow line. You have an entire lane if you are hugging the double yellow and aren't ready for a car coming around that blind corner then its your own fault. You want to ride the twisties like a track you better be ready for the obstacles that are associated with it and not blame an accident on "A car that was too close to the double yellow"
Troll... if you read the guy didnt cash because of the truck.. he lost focus because he saw Michael wobble, this is the same reason why no brake lights are allowed on the track. Michael was this Garry's ride? I read on FB that a guy named Jose crashed
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Michael - it's not your fault anyone else crashed. If a rider loses focus for any reason, it's on them. We all need to be 100% aware of the conditions that our own bike is going through, and while it's interesting what's happening to the bikes in front of us, nothing they do should in any way increase the risk of us crashing. If anything, we should have a small bit of advance warning of some hazards, as long as we leave enough space to the rider ahead to have enough time to react.

The rider in this case crashed because of inexperience. The OP here was lucky not to crash, but if it took a last minute swerve and a lean that put pegs to the asphalt to save at the last second, it sounds like your lane position wasn't great. Jiggles leaves out the subtlety, but like it or not, his point is sound. In all corners, you need to prepare for what could be around your sightline, and position the bike locationally and speedwise in a place that minimizes the risk until you can see further. Because every once in awhile, there will be a truck on that yellow line.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
wdhansewd
will never be a ninja

Name: Timothy

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD

Quote:
Sorry to say this but I currently drive rigs and I am a 3rd generation driver, been around them all of my life and I can speak from experience the trailer on a rig has a mind of its own. They can off track on any kind of curve or "dog leg", doesn't matter if its empty or loaded. So no matter how much lane the opposing
traffic has a slight bump can cause the trailer to move over and clip people.
wdhansewd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
^ Yes but as a motorcycle you have the entire lane to use, this is stressed in the MSF. If you are riding in the twisties at a pace that would make your heart jump if you see a car on the double yellow then you are outriding your skill level and should slow down. It's not a track, don't treat it like one.

When I ride alone I slow down because I can't see around that next corner, I don't know if theres a car stopped or there was an accident or poor akima had her brains splattered across the road making it slippery, so I ride at a pace that allows me to react to the circumstances. In a group when there's people in front of me I will ride a lot faster and use their "sight" I prefer to ride behind someone who is more experienced and can handle unforeseen circumstances at that speed, they act as a buffer for me.

It's clear that Captain Lay It Down here was outriding his comfort zone. Same with the guy behind him. You need to be prepared for that truck around the corner, or that deer, or oil spill
AFM #676

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Old Lemon
Lays er down

@Luvninja he was riding a gsxr 600 @DennyV yes this was garys ride

I guess i should point out i was past the truck it self, and the back corner of the trailer was poking out more than the truck itself. I knew it was there, i was kinda close to the truck already, didnt really bother me, but then the trailer came up and did bother me a little. I appreciate everyones advice (even jiggles) and i think none of this would have happened had i entered the turn more in the right of the lane. I entered it in like the middle rightish part if that makes sense.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Old Lemon
Lays er down

and i just saw on the face books that he did indeed get some crash footage. he had a go pro on the left side of his front fender, and one on his wrist looking outwards. idk why he has it on his wrist soooooo dont ask me

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Sorry to admit but Jigglet has a point. Us riders tend to blame everything but ourselves most of the time. I know the rider in question isn't the OP. But then again that rider crashed cause of his own mistake too anyway.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I have great respect for big truck drivers. In 99% of cases they do nothing wrong. Those things are huge, and on some roads it takes a lot of skill to keep them in the lane. When I see it with 3 inches of "spare" space from both sides, all I can say is respect.

Among other things, this is why speed limits are set so low at some spots.

In any case, this is a perfect example of the stuff which made me stop riding on public roads for fun. There is simply no fun in it. Either you are near death constantly, or you are riding like a granny.

And this is why I dislike group rides. It is my belief that whenever there is more than one person present, that "shared responsibility" effect kicks in. When you are alone, you have eyes everywhere and you are careful. In groups you believe in the guy in front. That's not the way to go.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #17
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
speak the truth, he does. the force is strong in this boy...

P.s. I'm glad it wasn't worse... It's very easy to panic due to oncoming traffic, especially when you aren't expecting it.... Ask me how I know

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #18
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Well gee... when the car is right on the double yellow, where the hell am I supposed to lean? I mean, really my tires remain on my side of the road, but in a left turn, they have got to leave room for my torso and head in their lane.

Old September 27th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #19
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Well gee... when the car is right on the double yellow, where the hell am I supposed to lean? I mean, really my tires remain on my side of the road, but in a left turn, they have got to leave room for my torso and head in their lane.
That's the point bro, you aren't supposed to ride the roads like the track... If you wanted to lean your line should have been the centre of YOUR side of the road, just to take into account oncoming traffic. I almost had a head on with some asshole overtaking in my lane. I was taking a sharp blind left hander. But that's what happens on the street and you have to anticipate that. It's your ass on the line, not the cage's

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

(I believe he was kidding)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #21
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
(I believe he was kidding)
Now that you mention it... I'm an idiot...

Old September 27th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #22
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I don't particularly care to ride with this group.

I guess you keep up fine with them @Old Lemon but they are not my style for group riding.

Old September 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #23
Old Lemon
Lays er down

not on the highway i dont, they completely lost me and the guy on the red cbr. but the cbr guy wasnt trying to go that fast and he stayed with me.

Old September 27th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #24
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

That's my friend's husband. He just started riding this summer. Sounds like he was looking out for you. I'm glad to hear that at least.