ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Iamraley
ninjette.org member

Name: Raley

Motorcycle(s): working on it

help a newbie street rider out

so about to buy a ninja and am trying to get all my ducks in a row.....being an old cruiser guy I used to just wear a leather jacket....but having totaled a bike I am more than happy to get some real gear. I am looking at the moment for a jacket I can wear though the south carolina which hits temps of up to 110. I was wondering were I can start looking or any suggestion you may have on a jacket.
Iamraley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Raley a lot of members look to newenough.com for their gear. The have a great reputation of good prices, fast shipment and no questions return policy as long as things are still new in the box. Being in the mid-west and having a large temperature range I've got two jackets; one is a mesh for the really hot days and short rides or a textile with full winter liner for the wet/cold days. Paints are also mesh but have both a rain and winter liner so I can use them year around.

You will get a lot of ideas from others and Alex has some vendors scrolling by as supports of the forum.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old March 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Raley - check out the what's in your closet thread - that will probably give you lots of ideas

Old March 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Raley - check out the what's in your closet thread - that will probably give you lots of ideas
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9694
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #5
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamraley View Post
so about to buy a ninja and am trying to get all my ducks in a row.....being an old cruiser guy I used to just wear a leather jacket....but having totaled a bike I am more than happy to get some real gear. I am looking at the moment for a jacket I can wear though the south carolina which hits temps of up to 110. I was wondering were I can start looking or any suggestion you may have on a jacket.
being in florida i'm right there with you when it comes to heat and humidity - i have this jacket and i like it a lot. total steal from newenough.com

http://newenough.com/street/closeout...le_jacket.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacket.jpg (28.7 KB, 5 views)
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Welcome to the forum. Don't think that I can any better advice than has already been said.

nb

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #7
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

I would also definitely recommend the "what's in your closet" thread. You're probably looking for a textile mesh jacket like Vince's above. Perforated leather works well too and will give slightly better protection than the mesh but there's probably an upper limit temperature-wise where it too becomes hot. 110 would probably be past that. I'm personally a fan of Fieldsheer for high value clothing. Or you could go all out and get something top shelf from Dainese or Alpinestars.

I've never really seen them mentioned much on here but I've also had good experience with Revzilla.com. The only thing to know there is that closeout items are all sales final. Otherwise they've been very helpful when I've done exchanges and returns and they are currently helping me with a warranty exchange on a jacket.
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Iamraley
ninjette.org member

Name: Raley

Motorcycle(s): working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
being in florida i'm right there with you when it comes to heat and humidity - i have this jacket and i like it a lot. total steal from newenough.com

http://newenough.com/street/closeout...le_jacket.html
thanks for the lead, sadly all sold out in my size but am continuing the hunt
Iamraley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamraley View Post
thanks for the lead, sadly all sold out in my size but am continuing the hunt
http://newenough.com/street/protecti...le_jacket.html

this will be my next jacket - would have gotten this had the fieldsheer not been on clearence.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #10
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

Perforation and vents in a leather jacket are you friends in hot weather. Also having CE rated armor is a good thing especially a back protector. Find a leather jacket that you like, find a leather shop that works with motorcycle gear and have them add perforation. Makes a huge difference. You also have to deal with the fact that if you want better abrasion resistance you will be riding in warmer gear.