ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 16th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #1
divil
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

new tires

I'm about to replace both tires on my bike. It seems a popular recommendation here is the Pirelli Sport Demons. I'm happy enough to go with that recommendation, but my question is, would either of these things cause you to make a different suggestion:

1. Total newb rider
2. Cold weather is just around the corner here

?

Thanks
divil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #2
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Get michelin pilot streets.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Get michelin pilot streets.
FTFY
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 16th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #4
divil
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the suggestion. They do seem to get rave reviews out there.

Old September 16th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
My opinion is tire choice is based on what you want to get out of them and how you ride.

For mostly weekend riding with curves and a more sporty approach to riding, the Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs are awesome tires, with a hard center and softer edges. Good all around normal tire and I never had any problems with them. Downside is the life, I got about 5-6k out of the rear, 10-12k out of the front.

For normal commuting with an average life, the Bridgestone BT45 Battleax tires (I just love saying Battle Axe!) were solid and handled well for mainly highway and interstate riding with a few curves thrown in for fun. Life was ok, about 8-10k on the rear and close to 15k on the front for me.

For long term life, I love my Michelin Pilot Streets! First set lasted me 12k and I was just barely on the wear bar when I changed them. Second set is on 13k miles at the moments and still a ways from the wear bar. They've felt planted when in the rain and are sticky enough for my style of canyon riding. It'll take a lot for me to switch to something else after the life I've gotten out of these.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #6
MauR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mauricio

Motorcycle(s): 250R

I'm exactly in the same situation...

I found this site http://www.neumaticos-pneus-online.e...mo-ciudad.html and they compare several brands of tires.

Attached is a file with the evaluation they made of a lot of brands/models compared (not all of them make tires for the ninja)

Here in Mexico we have Maxxis Tires (M6102 and M6103) which seems to be a good choice along with the Michelin Pilot Street.

Any opinion on the Maxxis??
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx TiresComp.xlsx (53.2 KB, 2 views)
MauR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #7
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
a dual compound rear would be the best option. other then that it is all about how you ride and what makes you comfortable.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #8
divil
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
My opinion is tire choice is based on what you want to get out of them and how you ride.

For mostly weekend riding with curves and a more sporty approach to riding, the Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs are awesome tires, with a hard center and softer edges. Good all around normal tire and I never had any problems with them. Downside is the life, I got about 5-6k out of the rear, 10-12k out of the front.

For normal commuting with an average life, the Bridgestone BT45 Battleax tires (I just love saying Battle Axe!) were solid and handled well for mainly highway and interstate riding with a few curves thrown in for fun. Life was ok, about 8-10k on the rear and close to 15k on the front for me.

For long term life, I love my Michelin Pilot Streets! First set lasted me 12k and I was just barely on the wear bar when I changed them. Second set is on 13k miles at the moments and still a ways from the wear bar. They've felt planted when in the rain and are sticky enough for my style of canyon riding. It'll take a lot for me to switch to something else after the life I've gotten out of these.
I'm not too bothered about how long they last, although it's nice if they last long. But I'm more concerned with how good they are while they do last. I won't be pushing the limits any time soon so I want a tire that has great grip under fairly laid back street conditions, even in colder weather. Everything I'm reading about that Michelin tire sounds great so I will probably end up going for them.