ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old October 11th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Applying decals - clearcoat?

Heya,

it's not a problem applying decals or vinyls, I just use the same process as on a model car. However, I've noticed the ninja / kawasaki decals are coming off my fairings. The bike's 5 years old and the PO put cheap fairings on it. I have no idea what quality the decals are or how he applied them.

I'm about to order OEM left-side fairings, and want to match it up to the 2011 special edition "ebay" fairings on the right. I wash my bike regularly (full clean 3 times a month, including wax). Will the decals need a very light clearcoat to prevent peeling / scratches?

The side fairing has a huge portion of black on it - I don't know if it's painted on or not (mine is...and it looks horrible!) A professional quoted me 250 dollars to just prep, paint and coat the black areas. Black vinyl sheet off Amazon costs me 14 dollars...I'm guessing that'll need coating? As it's not as resistant as paint / coat.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the little Ninja turtle, so I wouldn't want any of the vinyl to develop scratches or peel prematurely. What do you guys recommend?
Christofini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I'm a little confused to what you're going to do. The new OEM fairings you're going to buy aren't coming with decals?

If not it shouldn't be much to have a shop match the decal in vinyl, it's not that complicated.

Vinyl is always soft and it will swirl but shouldn't scratch if you're careful with it. I still wouldn't clear over the new vinyl though. If you're washing carefully you shouldn't have any problems with a quality decal.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Christofini
ninjette.org member

The oem plastics don't come with anything as far as I'm aware. Id be purchasing the Kawasaki and ninja decals off the web, and a sheet of black vinyl to match the paint job. Shops around here will gladly rip me off, and the cheapest I've found for recreating the paint job in vinyl was charging 90.

Good to know I won't need the clear coat though. Thanks!

Old October 11th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
The proper vinyl will be exceptionally durable.

In order to clear coat over decals or vinyl you would have to clear the entire panel. If it's been repainted there's a good chance you could have big problems. Much easier to just replace the stickers or vinyl if they start to look shabby.

You said you wax your bike frequently - and that's a problem if you are applying decals. All of the wax must be removed in order for the decals to adhere properly. A "wax and grease remover" is the best bet, but there may be other chemicals that will do it - just be careful they don't soften the paint. The last wipedown before applying the decals should be alcohol, and don't touch the adhesive on the sticker or the area where it's going on the paint.

If you haven't done it before you may want to order a couple extra stickers in case you have problems. It's not super difficult, but there are techniques that you need to use to keep from getting air bubbles under the sticker as you go. Using soap and water also helps if the sticker is large and needs to be positioned precisely, but you need to use the correct soap (Johnson's Baby Shampoo is often recommended) and the correct amount to avoid problems later.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the advice Jay

The issue isn't actually applying them. Just questioning their longevity. With all the gravel on these roads I was worried about pebbles and the like leaving scratch marks on the vinyl.

I suppose it would be easier just re-applying them if and when they start to peel.