ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Holy ****, wtf?

Just in SOFLO in the last month we have had like 5 or 6 deadly bike accidents.

A 37 year old died today from injuries sustained on Sunday(no helmet)
A 22 year old was killed last night (no details)
A 17 year old on Sunday (1oo mph+ surface street)

Last 2 weeks

A 38 year old firefighter (car fault)
+ 2 more riders from local forum.

This is seriously F'ed up.
Please be careful everyone, ATGATT and ride smart.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Thats the way of the world. Pay attention and ride like your invisible, because you are.

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I unfortunately watched someone die in Ft Lauderdale about 2 months ago. Guy was just riding normally in the middle lane of a 3 lane road and a car pulled across the street right in front of him and the guy on the bike T-boned the car.

There was nothing the guy on the bike could have done since the car was stopped and didn't pull out till the bike was there. From the bikers few it would have looked like the car was waiting for him to pass, until out of nowhere it pulls infront of you.

I don't know what exactly happened after that, but I know the ambulance was there a good 45 minutes after they put the guy in the back. So it doesn't appear he survived. No clue of he had a helmet or not as it happened down the street at night.

Even when you think a car sees you, don't assume your safe. There's not a whole lot the rider could have done in that situation. Sucks. I definitely was very uncomfortable on my bike for a few weeks after that.

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Riding at 100MPH on surface streets is just loonacy. People who get themselves killed doing that are just DARWINING themselves out of the gene pool.

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I was taking my wife's check to the bank today and as I was leaving through a fast-food establishment that is connected to the bank, I saw a police car in the road. Due to shrubbery I couldn't see why he was there. I thought it was just for traffic duty as this food place stays busy and lines often form out into the road for a 1/8 mile. I figured no big deal.

Well, as I cleared the shrubs, I saw a large cruiser under a minivan. I couldn't see the rider of the bike, but the cop was in his car and the driver of the minivan seemed pretty calm so hopefully the rider was OK. From the angle of the wreck it looked like it was the minivan's fault, but you never can tell sometimes.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckholloway View Post
Thats the way of the world. Pay attention and ride like your invisible, because you are.
Also, ride defensively and look both ways several times while crossing an intersection (even if you have the green light).
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #7
ericdrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Also, ride defensively and look both ways several times while crossing an intersection (even if you have the green light).
In my short time in the saddle, I've really noticed people in the opposing intersection initiating movement first AND THEN looking to see if they should stop, rather than using the STOP for it's intended purpose. So I'm pretty paranoid going through every green light still. I try and look at every head inside every car of any car that has the potential to hurt me and see if they look like they are paying attention. I definitely am ready to brake or accelerate as much as possible when I cross intersections right now.
ericdrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #8
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
In addition to looking both ways, it also is a good idea to slow down 5-10 mph when going through the intersection or when you feel that someone might try to pull out on you (when safe to do so ). That way, you may be able to stop in time and avoid the crash altogether. Or if you cannot stop, your impact will be much slower and more survivable.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #9
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdrum View Post
In my short time in the saddle, I've really noticed people in the opposing intersection initiating movement first AND THEN looking to see if they should stop, rather than using the STOP for it's intended purpose. So I'm pretty paranoid going through every green light still. I try and look at every head inside every car of any car that has the potential to hurt me and see if they look like they are paying attention. I definitely am ready to brake or accelerate as much as possible when I cross intersections right now.

Also, as well as watching to see the people in the car (because although a great idea, they can look right at you and not see you. Been there done that.) I also watch the wheels of said vehicle. You can kinda tell what the driver is thinking if they are inching forward or not stopping all the way. I have seen them come to a complete stop, look straight at me, and then start to inch forward. Trying to decide if they can beat me across the intersection. I have also seen them pull up, stop look one way and then start to take off as they look the other direction. If your not paying attention this could be enough to end your riding season, or worse.

Old June 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
In addition to looking both ways, it also is a good idea to slow down 5-10 mph when going through the intersection or when you feel that someone might try to pull out on you (when safe to do so ). That way, you may be able to stop in time and avoid the crash altogether. Or if you cannot stop, your impact will be much slower and more survivable.
Just don't give the impression that you are stopping or slowing to let them go.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #11
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Just don't give the impression that you are stopping or slowing to let them go.
Thinking of typical 35-40 mph speed when approaching. Good point
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #12
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

Ya I think here if you look like you are slowing down someone will definitely take that as an opportunity to cut in front of you.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Just yesterday I almost got t-boned in the parking lot of our local grocery store. I was on the main road part of the parking lot (hope that makes sense) and she was turning onto the part where I was. She only looked one way though, like a lot of people do, and we both had to slam on our brakes to avoid colliding. Thank God I was in my cage or else there's no way she would've seen me. I also doubt I could've braked as successfully on the scoot.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckholloway View Post

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #15
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I try to take circumstances into account when I start hearing repeated stories of biker deaths. No disrespect to the dead, but at least 2 of those 3 guys made bad decisions before their untimely deaths. 100mph on city streets is nothing but suicide, and not wearing a helmet....well, I know there are conflicting views on this, but after my wreck, I view a helmet as important as tires and brakes. You can greatly improve your chances of survival if you can avoid cracking your un-protected skull on the pavement...or on a car bumper...or on your own bike.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM   #16
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

around here locally i saw in the news some 23 yr old die on his bike pulling out of his work parking lot. sounds like he made motorcycle error as people reported hearing the motor rev super loud. he probably pulled a wheelie and wrecked. also he wasn't wearing a helmet the report says. no clue on what kind of bike he had.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdrum View Post
Even if they look straight at you they can pull out, look at the wheels, if the wheels are moving the driver has no intention of actually stopping

( I went back to read the rest of the thread after posting & see it's been covered, but I'm not going to delete good advice)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:05 PM   #18
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I used to live in South Florida so I'm not surprised at all of all these horrific accidents. It's not the just bikers. Last time I was heading down to Miami, I probably saw the most horrific crash that backed up traffic for almost two hours.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:52 PM   #19
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Even if they look straight at you they can pull out, look at the wheels, if the wheels are moving the driver has no intention of actually stopping
+1

I got this tip from Floyd. I use it all the time now... life saver!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:55 PM   #20
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
Riding at 100MPH on surface streets is just loonacy. People who get themselves killed doing that are just DARWINING themselves out of the gene pool.
* looks at tjkamper's profile image *

You shouldn't be dishing out advice... at your age you shouldn't even be riding

Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM   #21
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

I got a ticket for a rolling stop. Was my very first ticket ever.
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #22
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I was watching the first 48 and they showed a shot of miami downtown., about 10-30 bikers, NO ONE HAD A ****ING HELMET

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM   #23
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
Helmet laws are to benefit insurance companies. Same with building permits/inspections, seatbelt laws, etc. No really.

My thought is that I will wear one but anyone should be free to choose for themselves and insurance companies should charge accordingly. If they learn your are not wearing and you said you do that is grounds to terminate the policy or jack the rates.

It is not the proper role of government to be my parent or ... big brother and tell me what is for my own good cause they said so.
It's probably cheaper for the insurer if you don't wear a lid, no medical bills just the funeral expenses...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:12 PM   #24
exarch
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250r

Ive only seen the results of 1 bike crash in person and that was 2 years ago. I was at drill(army reserve) smokin out back just watching the traffic go by. when out of the blue some guy goes flying by(shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes, socks, sunglasses) must of been doing 120+ in a 45speed zone(I do that in my car on this road since its straight but gotta slow down to 85 to make the cornor in my car) well this idiot must of been new to the area cuz there is always loose graval on the road.right b4 the cornor) so he taps his breaks and loses control... Game over... It was brutal he instantly lost control and the bike layed over on its right side catching his foot underneath. The bike ended up filpping.a.few times and yanking the guys shoe and a nice chunk of skin off and pretty much became unrecognizable. As for the guy he slid until he smashed into the concrete barrier leaving his epidermis all over the asphalt. im not.gunna go into anymore.detail cuz.i.think.u got.the.picture(no he didnt live)

point: atgatt along with not doing a redicilous speed, especially on an unfamiliar road would of more than likely saved his life.

Atgatt saved my bros life when he took a 6ft drop off a cliff from some lose graval. Granted when the bike.fell on him the handle bar went straight threw his legg and out the otherside and luckily a passerbyer saw smoke and decided.to.investigate(on a road.that isnt traveled much) and got him some help. He was careflighted and is.still paying his medical bills 6years later and still owes another.30k, but atleast he is alive and not dead due to him ALWAS wearing his gear. Btw this happend less than 10minutes into his.ride. So ya it.can happen that fast.

sorry if I got off topic, wasnt sure if this was a 1story thread or cautionary.thread.

Btw Ohio here, only temps and 1st year endorsements are required to wear at min a helmet. After 1year endorsement you can ride naked if u want(well atleast in a swimsuit lol) personally I think helmets and other gear should be enforced, just like seatbelts. motorcyclists should have to abide by base(military) type rulls, hell so should cars(stupid texters, cell phones and other distractions) although bikers only hurt themselves not wearing gear, distracted drivers hurt.everyone. Although getting hit by a bug in the eye and.other.parts of the.body is.a.distraction from not wearing ur gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
exarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:12 PM   #25
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exarch View Post
Ive only seen the results of 1 bike crash in person and that was 2 years ago. I was at drill(army reserve) smokin out back just watching the traffic go by. when out of the blue some guy goes flying by(shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes, socks, sunglasses) must of been doing 120+ in a 45speed zone(I do that in my car on this road since its straight but gotta slow down to 85 to make the cornor in my car) well this idiot must of been new to the area cuz there is always loose graval on the road.right b4 the cornor) so he taps his breaks and loses control... Game over... It was brutal he instantly lost control and the bike layed over on its right side catching his foot underneath. The bike ended up filpping.a.few times and yanking the guys shoe and a nice chunk of skin off and pretty much became unrecognizable. As for the guy he slid until he smashed into the concrete barrier leaving his epidermis all over the asphalt. im not.gunna go into anymore.detail cuz.i.think.u got.the.picture(no he didnt live)

point: atgatt along with not doing a redicilous speed, especially on an unfamiliar road would of more than likely saved his life.

Atgatt saved my bros life when he took a 6ft drop off a cliff from some lose graval. Granted when the bike.fell on him the handle bar went straight threw his legg and out the otherside and luckily a passerbyer saw smoke and decided.to.investigate(on a road.that isnt traveled much) and got him some help. He was careflighted and is.still paying his medical bills 6years later and still owes another.30k, but atleast he is alive and not dead due to him ALWAS wearing his gear. Btw this happend less than 10minutes into his.ride. So ya it.can happen that fast.

sorry if I got off topic, wasnt sure if this was a 1story thread or cautionary.thread.

Btw Ohio here, only temps and 1st year endorsements are required to wear at min a helmet. After 1year endorsement you can ride naked if u want(well atleast in a swimsuit lol) personally I think helmets and other gear should be enforced, just like seatbelts. motorcyclists should have to abide by base(military) type rulls, hell so should cars(stupid texters, cell phones and other distractions) although bikers only hurt themselves not wearing gear, distracted drivers hurt.everyone. Although getting hit by a bug in the eye and.other.parts of the.body is.a.distraction from not wearing ur gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear ya man, I'm from north of Dayton, and I've seen very few motorcycles in the 18 years I've lived there. But, when I do, most of them have been with out helmets, at least for the locals. I really wish it was law in every state to have a helmet.

But, down here in Savannah, GA there have been 2 military personel killed on motorcycles. Both fatalities colliding with cars, only one was speeding though. Also both were within a few weeks of eachother. I have also talked to local police about motorcycles, ones they owned and accidents they've responded to. From what they had to say, it's too graphic to tell on here.

Just please people, when you ride, whether around the block or cross-country please wear ATGATT. After my recent accident, I realize I b was in a best case scenario...no traffic, nothing to hit, open road, and wearing all of my gear. If I had only been wearing a helmet and tennis shoes, I would be most likely not walking for many years. My right arm and shoulder would be severely lacerated and I probably would have sustained some back injuries too.

I feel like sending emails to the companies of the gear I wore and tell them how fantastically well their product performed.

Anyways, ride shiny side up!!!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:26 PM   #26
exarch
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250r

This year ive seen a grand total of 1 helmets worn this hear(2 up rider so technically 2helmets) and people have been riding since Jan(as our unusually nice weather brings out the dedicated riders in the 40s+) and ive probably seen over 100 differrnt riders. I work 2nd shift at the dpl guard shack so I see alot of bikes when im here. Although I did see a pack of some weird ass bikes yesterday, they wernt mopeds, but looked like custom bicycles with motors on em and all 15 or so riders had helmets on. I saw one that I think was.the same one a guy was selling on craigslist, he just had it listed as a custom chopper with a 4.5HP engin. They did look sweet.though riding in that big pack lol.

Oh and my buddies always cry cuz I make them wear a helmet, jacket, gloves at minimum if they wanna take my bike.for a spin. Too bad I cant convince them to wear any gear at all when they ride their own bikes. My buddies are dumbasses, they complain the **** is too expensive and refuse to buy used gear, so they drive their car on base if they need to go.there. hell if I could afford to buy.them the gear myself ide be all over it(doubt they would wear it still though) im sure once they.crash they are gunna regret it.
Posted via Mobile Device
exarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:23 PM   #27
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
Helmet laws are to benefit insurance companies. Same with building permits/inspections, seatbelt laws, etc. No really.

My thought is that I will wear one but anyone should be free to choose for themselves and insurance companies should charge accordingly. If they learn your are not wearing and you said you do that is grounds to terminate the policy or jack the rates.

It is not the proper role of government to be my parent or ... big brother and tell me what is for my own good cause they said so.
+1