ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 8th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #1
2weelz
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 MZ RT 125, 2007 Kawasaki EX250r

Help with jetting and/or exhaust

Greetings,

I have an '07 that has been messed with by previous owners and runs poorly. From what I can see from the one receipt I obtained, it looks like someone removed the baffles from the mufflers, then rejetted it. The receipt says "stage one jet kit". It also lists stalling and difficult starts, which it still has. It stalls in traffic when it's warm if I stop. Or not, it's kind of random. Needs a lot of choke, even in warm weather. The idle sometimes surges when warm. It gets around 30 mpg, really terrible. Runs only slightly better since the carbs were recently cleaned, still stalls a lot. No vacuum leaks have been found, and the plugs are pretty new. I'm wondering, is "stage one" referring to a specific size jets? If so, are there optimal pipes likely to work well, or is it a trial and error process? I am leaning towards just returning it to stock, but I wonder if it's feasible to tweak what's already there. I kinda like the acceleration, but don't know if stock would be better or worse, it's my first ninjette. Your opinions, please.
2weelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #2
justopelt
ninjette.org member

Name: Justins

Motorcycle(s): 1986 250

I would take the carbs apart and clean all the jets and start by making sure everything is clean. I have an 86' that I got last spring that would never run right and needed a lot of choke. Mine had way to big of jets had a 140 main which is huge for these bikes. Biggest main you need is probably 112 and that witch pods and exhaust. pilot im thinking is about 40 but I cant remember right off hand. But I would see what size jets you have in and give everything a good cleaning can make all the difference.
justopelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #3
justopelt
ninjette.org member

Name: Justins

Motorcycle(s): 1986 250

didn't realize you already said it was cleaned. Do you know what size jets are in it?
justopelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The DynoJet STAGE 1 kit is for mildly tuned machines using the stock airbox, with stock or K&N filter #2586.

You may want to inspect your carbs and see exactly what size jets you have installed in it. See the attached instructions for the kit, so you'll know how to tune it. As far as the stalling and surging goes, you may want to recheck your idle speed and adjust your valves. Poor idle (hunting or hanging) is usually a give-away of valves being out of adjustment if you have no vacuum leaks
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #5
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Clean carbs

One person's "clean" is another person's filthy. How "clean" the float bowls look has nothing to do with how clean all the tiny little jets are, especially the idle jets and transition ports are. Hanging throttle most often is from plugged pilot jet on one or both carbs and/or air bleed jet plugged.

I hate it when people hack carbs up with "kits". Make sure the float needles are in good shape, float level at 17mm and by all means check the jet sizes.

Morons can't get past the big jets = mad power bullcrap.

Minor mods require MAYBE a size up on the pilot and main with a shim or two on the needles. Hard starting requiring a lot of choke point further to plugged pilot jet and/or incorrect idle mixture screw adjustment.

Remember the "choke" is not a "choke". It is an enrichment device that add fuel only when the throttle is closed or barely cracked. Even a well adjust carb may need a bit of "choke" for a minute on a cool day.