ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #1
MasterProcrastinator
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Julie

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R, 09' Buell Blast, 04' Suzuki GS500

Great ride tonight...if you like evil revenge seeking bees....

Riding along the river, a big fat bee climbed in to my helmet and made himself at home on the inside of my visor. Finally got him out but with God as my witness....two hours later we were riding back through the same area and I SWEAR that within ten feet of that exact same spot....something hit the side of my ribcage so hard that I actually looked around for a kid with a bebe gun! Brought tears to my eyes! And felt like it was bleeding. Got to the house and realized it was a freaking bee sting! Was the damn thing lying in wait for my return to extract its revenge or what?!?! Crazy bees!!

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

wow thats rough, good thing it didnt cause you to loose control or steer off the road.

I had a fly go right into my eye today right before i put my visor down... but i dont think thats the same haha. I had a bee get caught in my jacket during my MSF test and I freaked out, i didnt tell anyone afterwards but im sure it just looked like i was loosing my mind as i came around the curve.

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #3
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

That sucks Julie. Hope your not allergic to bees.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I swear I have a sixth sense about when something is going to hit me on the face while riding. I'll be riding along, hopefully at a measured pace at the time, and realize I have the visor up. Maybe I was following a slow car, or was just getting back on the road, or who knows why, but at the moment it was more comfortable to ride with the visor up; I always have sunglasses on anyway.

I'll get this pang of fear: "Gee, I should really close my visor in case I get hit with....", and before I finish that thought but right before I'd actually close the visor, I get pegged in the cheek or nose with a huge bug of some sort. I kid you not, it's happened exactly as described several time this year. I wish my brain worked faster.

(I've been stung before while riding as well, not fun!)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #5
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Sorry you got stung

I get some kind of stinging insect down my top at least 2 times a year and I wear a bandana if I have a v neck on. It really makes me mad and leaves scars. Not to mention you are slamming your chest and belly with your fist trying to find a place to stop..
they find a way in.. must be boy bugs. pests!!!

Old August 5th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #6
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Man thats some bad luck, or you indeed were being hunted down by a bee seeking vengeance (or maybe it was the spouse of the first bee?). One of the guys in my MSF class got stung at the end when we were doing our swerving test. He passed, though

Old August 5th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #7
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

little bugs got into my helmet, but man, i would freak if it was a bee.

so the bee stung you from the outside of your jacket? is it mesh? or do you think the bee crawled inside and stung you?
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

I would freak the **** out if a bee/wasp/hornet etc. got into my jacket or helmet... I am seriously afraid of them on a regular day. I would probably crash. :S
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Yellow jackets SWARMED all over my '08 CP Blue last Fall. Every day I'd walk out and find about 10-20 of them angrily buzzing all around it. They weren't a problem in Summer, leading me to believe that they were attracted to the color later in the year when their diet/behavior changes. Perhaps something else is attracting them to our bikes.

Heh... I had an ant problem a a few days after buying the bike... they were going up under my passenger seat for something.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

One of the participants in the Blue Ridge Pkwy ride that Noche, BlueTyke and myself went on had a bit of an aversion to bees. Thankfully, they kept trying to attack me head-on through my face-shield. Still, a little disturbing when you feel and hear the 'thump' of a really big bee/bug that *didn't* splatter when hit at ~45-50mph.

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #11
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
One of the participants in the Blue Ridge Pkwy ride that Noche, BlueTyke and myself went on had a bit of an aversion to bees. Thankfully, they kept trying to attack me head-on through my face-shield. Still, a little disturbing when you feel and hear the 'thump' of a really big bee/bug that *didn't* splatter when hit at ~45-50mph.
Well, I wouldn't have that aversion if I didn't nearly get killed when riding with NJD022588 and found myself cross-eyed due to the yellow jacket on the inside of my visor!

Julie - I totally understand your reaction!

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #12
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

My problem is birds. I ride alot next to farm lands and woods. They fly out of the ditches and must not be able to judge my speed. One i had to lay down on the tank to avoid it and it bounced off my back as i went by.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #13
MasterProcrastinator
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Julie

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R, 09' Buell Blast, 04' Suzuki GS500

It was craziest that it happened in the exact same spot 2 hours apart. I'm so glad I'm not allergic. I suppose the bee sting WAS better than my initial thought of having been shot! ha ha!

It amazes me how dang hard those little things hit and how bad they can hurt!! I marvel at the people who wear skull cap helmets and, being next to Idaho, those over there wearing no helmet at all. Besides the obvious safety factor, I can't even phathom how bad those big bugs would hurt hitting your face without a full helmet. and ...the bugs they must eat!! ha ha!

I actually have a theory on that. Its been my observation that a large majority of men who wear skull cap helmets or no helmet tend to have gigantic mustaches and beards. (anyone else notice that trend?) I think that facial hair helps serve as bug catchers of sorts....lol. But I can't imagine how nasty that must be by the end of a ride, if my own visor is any indication.

Old August 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #14
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Yellow jackets SWARMED all over my '08 CP Blue last Fall. Every day I'd walk out and find about 10-20 of them angrily buzzing all around it. They weren't a problem in Summer, leading me to believe that they were attracted to the color later in the year when their diet/behavior changes. Perhaps something else is attracting them to our bikes.

Heh... I had an ant problem a a few days after buying the bike... they were going up under my passenger seat for something.
If i remb right, Bees and attracted to colors of RED, ORANGE, YELLOW the most! they think its a GIANT FLOWER! lol

Well you might be able to rid them by spraying some wasp killer onto a RAG, and...
(with your bike clear of bees, being parked in a good spot and ENGINE COOLED OFF)
Wipe the wasp killer soaked Rag ...(Ortho brand) ... onto the inner areas of your fairings, places bees like to try and make nests at!

NOT on the outter surface, but like where you would fix up LED lights around the Engine area underneath.

Ive done this, cuz i park my Nate in a Shed, that has bees and wasps buzzin around looking for places to nest. it seems to work, as ive YET to find a NEST built onto my Nate!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #15
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Ohhh, also ill add that last weekend... Almost home and sumin smacked into my left forearm area! i didnt Feel anything other then a 'FLICK'. i get home, get in my room... my GFs talking to me about what movie we should go see as im taking off my moto Gear... suddenly

I SEE A ****ING YELLOWJACKET on my belly on my T-shirt!!!

I smack him down to the floor and STEP on him fast as HELL!!!!

my GF flipped out and ran from the bathroom doorway (drying her hair) ... dropped the hairdryer and FLEW into the living room! ARHHHGHHHHH"

" Is is gone? ..... did you get him?"

"Yes honeybun...WANNA SEE?" lol

I dunno how the hell he got into my jacket, cuz i didnt Feel anything go up inside the arms, neck areas of my jacket during the 'FLICK'!!! heh
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote